21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: what's wrong with dairy / milk?
Created on: 09/07/12 12:16 PM Views: 1115 Replies: 5
what's wrong with dairy / milk?
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Hi guys!

I'm having some trouble not wavering and staying strong. The impulse to add milk / just order milk with my coffee / tea was not so bad the first few days...now I'm having some trouble staying strong.

Inspiration? Maybe someone just smack me lol, and tell me a good reason or two why dairy is really not good for me, and does NOT do a body good.

Thanks guys! Very Happy

RE: what's wrong with dairy / milk?
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

There is some evidence that dairy is addictive. There is a really cute video somewhere of Dr. Barnard telling the story. He likens it to natures way of guaranteeing that little deer don't get all blissed out in the forest and forget to hang around mom and her milk. I'll try to find it.

FOUND IT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VWi6dXCT7I

Not everyone has time to listen to a 40 minute lecture, but this is very entertaining, and very informative on the subject of dairy. If you don't have time, I highly recommend you put it on in the background while you are busy at something else, and pretend it is radio!

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM

A really good explanation of why dairy is bad for you can be found in The China Study. I recommend the audiobook.

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 3:01 PM

cuteddybears wrote:

Hi guys!

I'm having some trouble not wavering and staying strong. The impulse to add milk / just order milk with my coffee / tea was not so bad the first few days...now I'm having some trouble staying strong.

Inspiration? Maybe someone just smack me lol, and tell me a good reason or two why dairy is really not good for me, and does NOT do a body good.

Thanks guys! Very Happy

In addition to Dr. Barnard's clip, here an other must-not-miss from Dr. McDougall.

Perils of Dairy

Once you go a few days without it, you won't miss it - BUT being strongly motivated will make a difference!

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Edited 09/07/12 3:02 PM
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM

these are terrific sources of information! Thank you =)

I just need to stay motivated, thankfully i have all of you guys! Very Happy

But..I admit I slipped up a few times this first week...I did get some milk in my coffee and tea.

I'm trying not to beat myself up over this...it doesn't mean I should completely give up, right?

I think this is what happens to me with trying to be/stay vegan. In the past when I tried on my own, I would make a mistake, slip up and then just stay angry at myself for not 'keeping up' with my vegan goals.

I want to continue to work on the goal, and this kickstart, for the remaining two weeks. I just feel so bad, though I know its pointless as I cannot go back to change the past Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Stop beating yourself up! And think. Is it logical to feel so bad about a minor slip that you make a major slip? And know, many seasoned vegans slip up once in a while, sometimes even by accident. It is more important to be more strict, perhaps, at the beginning, until your habits and tastes change. Keep it up!

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 769 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org