21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Not losing any weight...Aarggh! Help?!
Created on: 09/07/12 03:31 PM Views: 2810 Replies: 17
Not losing any weight...Aarggh! Help?!
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Hi! I posted this in another forum but I guess it might have been overlooked...This is my first Kickstart, but I was given the book two weeks ago and have been following the plan really conscientiously. I'm not even eating any of the processed "fake" meats, as I was worried about the oil in them. I have not lost a single pound...not a SINGLE one. Is this normal? I have 100 pounds to lose, so I thought that at least the beginning would be quicker. Help? Any experienced Kickstarters have any words of wisdom???
--Nicole Confused

RE: Not losing any weight...Aarggh! Help?!
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Hi Nicole,

I'm sorry to hear you are not having the weight loss success that you anticipated. Have you been following the plan for two weeks without any weightloss - or just since Monday? Sometimes you can be retaining water - and then suddenly lose 5 pounds in one day. I hope that happens for you.

You may also be someone who need a lower carb diet. However, I think if you stick with it, you will find the pounds start to shed. I am not an experienced Kickstarter - I just started on Monday. I also had 100 pounds to lose - but have already lost 6, so I don't want you to give up!

I have not followed the plan as precisely as I had intended -just eating things from the plan when I am hungry. My cravings have already subsided substantially. How about yours?

I invite to join us on the "looking for support" forum. Most of us have weight loss as a goal - and we love to have you join us! Good luck. I hope the scale starts to move in the right direction soon! Kay

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM

millernk wrote:

Hi! I posted this in another forum but I guess it might have been overlooked...This is my first Kickstart, but I was given the book two weeks ago and have been following the plan really conscientiously. I'm not even eating any of the processed "fake" meats, as I was worried about the oil in them. I have not lost a single pound...not a SINGLE one. Is this normal? I have 100 pounds to lose, so I thought that at least the beginning would be quicker. Help? Any experienced Kickstarters have any words of wisdom???
--Nicole Confused

Nicole,

Absolutely I have some words of wisdom for you and composed an article not long ago addressing this very question. I hope it is helpful to you.

6 reasons you might have gained weight on a plant-based diet when your goal is to lose weight

The title says 'may have gained' but the issues are the same.

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Never2Late wrote:

I'm sorry to hear you are not having the weight loss success that you anticipated. Have you been following the plan for two weeks without any weightloss - or just since Monday? Sometimes you can be retaining water - and then suddenly lose 5 pounds in one day. I hope that happens for you.

Hi Kay,
Thank you for the support! And congrats on losing weight already! Yes, I've been following the plan for two weeks now. This morning I finally noticed a 1.5 pound weight loss. So maybe it is just taking longer than for others. I guess I was already mostly vegan before I started the program, so the main differences were with the types of carbs I'm now eating (whole grain, sprouted grain) and with the elimination (as much as possible) of oils. I will definitely pop over to the support forum!

Thanks and wishing continued good luck to you as well!
--Nicole

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Nicole,

Absolutely I have some words of wisdom for you and composed an article not long ago addressing this very question. I hope it is helpful to you.

6 reasons you might have gained weight on a plant-based diet when your goal is to lose weight

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Hi Lani,

Thank you! And ironically, when I first started worrying about why I wasn't losing weight, I googled the question and your blog post showed up! I think the only thing that stands out for me as a reason are the fats. i have been eating lots of nut butter - peanut and cashew. Even though the brands I chose are organic and the ingredient list is simply peanuts or cashews, no added anything, it's true that I may be eating too much of them...I'll try to cu back on that and see what happens. Thanks!
--Nicole

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 4:22 PM

millernk wrote:

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Nicole,

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Hi Lani,

Thank you! And ironically, when I first started worrying about why I wasn't losing weight, I googled the question and your blog post showed up! I think the only thing that stands out for me as a reason are the fats. i have been eating lots of nut butter - peanut and cashew. Even though the brands I chose are organic and the ingredient list is simply peanuts or cashews, no added anything, it's true that I may be eating too much of them...I'll try to cu back on that and see what happens. Thanks!
--Nicole

Nicole, the peanuts, cashews and the like will do it. I've got 2 more resources for you.

How I gained 2 lbs in 2 weeks and lost them again just as easily

This Tuesday I am hosting a Teleclass with a special guest who just dropped 12 lbs after dropping nuts from her diet. If you want to tune in, come on by and sign up:

Teleclass! Chef AJ’s story: How a vegan chef made one simple change & easily dropped 12 pounds

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Nicole, the peanuts, cashews and the like will do it. I've got 2 more resources for you.

This Tuesday I am hosting a Teleclass with a special guest who just dropped 12 lbs after dropping nuts from her diet. If you want to tune in, come on by and sign up:

Teleclass! Chef AJ’s story: How a vegan chef made one simple change & easily dropped 12 pounds

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

That's great! I'm definitely signing up for the teleclass. And yes, I really think it might be the nut butters. Since I made the choice not to eat the fake meat or cheeses, due to the processing and oils, I was struggling to find alternative "easy" proteins. I've been eating lots of Quinoa as well, but with that I've been more mindful of portion control.

Looking forward to the teleclass! I think it'll be really helpful...
--Nicole

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM

millernk wrote:

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

That's great! I'm definitely signing up for the teleclass. And yes, I really think it might be the nut butters. Since I made the choice not to eat the fake meat or cheeses, due to the processing and oils, I was struggling to find alternative "easy" proteins. I've been eating lots of Quinoa as well, but with that I've been more mindful of portion control.

Looking forward to the teleclass! I think it'll be really helpful...
--Nicole

Nicole,

Also, just a note - the more you experience and learn, the more the preoccupation (don't worry, it happens to everyone!) with protein will diminish. You will get all you need in a varied, whole food, low fat plant-based diet. Susan, our brilliant dietitian, will always reinforce that!

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I concur with the nuts, seeds and their "butters." They all pack a lot of calories in a small package. And they can sneak into foods that seem great otherwise, like hummus. Most hummus has both oil and sesame seed butter (tahini). For instance, my Whole Foods has maybe 20 different kinds of hummus, but only one without oil or tahini. If you're concerned about protein, eat more beans. Beans are awesome, plenty of protein, but instead of fat, they have lots of slow releasing carbohydrate and fiber. Brilliant! Another higher calorie category that trips me up sometimes is bread and other products made from flour. I have to be careful with baked goods. Also remember that weight fluctuates by pounds eery day just due to water, so be patient. Good luck!

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM

vegpedlr wrote:

I concur with the nuts, seeds and their "butters." They all pack a lot of calories in a small package. And they can sneak into foods that seem great otherwise, like hummus. Most hummus has both oil and sesame seed butter (tahini). For instance, my Whole Foods has maybe 20 different kinds of hummus, but only one without oil or tahini. If you're concerned about protein, eat more beans. Beans are awesome, plenty of protein, but instead of fat, they have lots of slow releasing carbohydrate and fiber. Brilliant! Another higher calorie category that trips me up sometimes is bread and other products made from flour. I have to be careful with baked goods. Also remember that weight fluctuates by pounds eery day just due to water, so be patient. Good luck!

Hey Vegpedlr! Just tool a look at your website. Cool! Thanks for posting your link!

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM

vegpedlr wrote:

Thanks vegpedlr! I appreciate the support and the good advice. Yes, I eat a lot of beans too. Just always looking for additional options. I've never felt healthier and had more clarity of mind before...I attribute that to this new healthy eating, I was just hoping to shift weight a little bit more quickly as well. But, being healthier is certainly important in itself!
--Nicole

Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Lani and I have had several discussion about seeds, nuts and their butters. For us both, it is a weight gainer. Just a small amount of them (YUM!) and I can count on no loss or a gain.

Eliminate those and watch the fat content of other foords, and you may get a different picture!

Best wishes

Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Oceandog wrote:

Lani and I have had several discussion about seeds, nuts and their butters. For us both, it is a weight gainer. Just a small amount of them (YUM!) and I can count on no loss or a gain.

Eliminate those and watch the fat content of other foords, and you may get a different picture!

Best wishes

Kym

Thanks Kim, yes, I'm going to drastically cut down the nut butters and see what happens!I'm not eating anything else that has lots of fat. Only other trouble spots could be amount of Ezekiel bread per day and portions of Quinoa pasta... (also very yum!) Laughing
--Nicole

Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Oceandog wrote:

Best wishes

Kym

Oops...Kym, sorry!

Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM

millernk wrote:

Oceandog wrote:

Best wishes

Kym

Thanks Kim, yes, I'm going to drastically cut down the nut butters and see what happens!I'm not eating anything else that has lots of fat. Only other trouble spots could be amount of Ezekiel bread per day and portions of Quinoa pasta... (also very yum!) Laughing
--Nicole

Nicole, Kym's right. Look there before you worry about the bread and the pasta. Isn't this fun? It's a great way to live! Cool

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

vegpedlr wrote:

Hey Vegpedlr! Just tool a look at your website. Cool! Thanks for posting your link!

Lani

Your welcome! I think your explanation and story about calorie density is the best there is. I seriously think Jeff Novick should include you and Chef AJ in his presentations. BTW if you're at ASW, I'm jealous!

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Come visit me at:

Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

vegpedlr wrote:

LaniMuelrath wrote:
vegpedlr wrote:

Lani

Your welcome! I think your explanation and story about calorie density is the best there is. I seriously think Jeff Novick should include you and Chef AJ in his presentations. BTW if you're at ASW, I'm jealous!

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Vegpedlr,

Really? Well, thank you very much. Can you tell me to which article specifically you refer? Is it the McDougall Diet failure article? That piece gets a lot of attention and is featured, with more elaboration, in the nutrition chapter of my book, so if that is to what you refer, then fabuloso! You'll have to let me know.

Not at the ASW this weekend -just in the door from travels and my publisher has just sent several sections for edit review so chop chop! And do you know about the Teleclass I am hosting this week with AJ as my guest? Fun!

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

[quote="vegpedlr"][quote="LaniMuelrath"][quote="vegpedlr"]
Really? Well, thank you very much. Can you tell me to which article specifically you refer? Is it the McDougall Diet failure article? That piece gets a lot of attention and is featured, with more elaboration, in the nutrition chapter of my book, so if that is to what you refer, then fabuloso! You'll have to let me know.

Not at the ASW this weekend -just in the door from travels and my publisher has just sent several sections for edit review so chop chop! And do you know about the Teleclass I am hosting this week with AJ as my guest? Fun!

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

The McDougall Diet Failure article.Very well done.

Come visit me at:

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 214 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org