21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: day 2 What R U Eating?
Created on: 01/03/12 07:43 AM Views: 4439 Replies: 20
day 2 What R U Eating?
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Hi
So today and for a couple of days i will be eating the food I made yesterday...

b-Kashi heart to heart cereal w/bananna & soy milk

l- Budda's Delight Soup.. that is a veggie soup w/tofu, green beans, brocolli, carrots, mushrooms, baby corn, fresh ginger & soy sauce.. basically adapted from vegkitchen.com

d- a homemade veggie burger (no bun) oats, carrots, almonds, sunflower seeds, onion, garlic, black beans.
This was a new one.. it held together wonderful.. just not sure about all the nuts & calories .. so i made them small... recipe adapted from www.ohhowsheglows.com

btw.. oh how she glows is a fun read.. funny..

so What are you eating today????

RE: day 2 What R U Eating?
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Glad to be doing the Kickstart again Smile. I'm following a more specific plan (McDougall's) but it is still very Kickstart-friendly.

Today's menu:
Morning: raw cucumber and tomato; mashed potatoes; 2 rice cakes with honey
Mid-Morning: orange and baked chickpeas
Afternoon: red and green cabage and carrot sauted with soy sauce, vinegar, honey, and ginger (something I made myself) over brown rice
Mid-Afternoon: 2 rice cakes with honey, herbal tea
Evening: Spinach, ginger, and lemon soup and potato chopped into chunks and baked (sort of like home fries but without the oil and spices) and dipped in BBQ sauce/ketchup; 1 oz pretzels and date (I know, not the healthiest foods, but I need some "snacks"

Djuna

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Glad to be doing the Kickstart again Smile. I'm following a more specific plan (McDougall's) but it is still very Kickstart-friendly.

Today's menu:
Morning: raw cucumber and tomato; mashed potatoes; 2 rice cakes with honey
Mid-Morning: orange and baked chickpeas
Afternoon: red and green cabbage and carrot sauted with soy sauce, vinegar, honey, and ginger (something I made myself) over brown rice
Mid-Afternoon: 2 rice cakes with honey, herbal tea
Evening: Spinach, ginger, and lemon soup and potato chopped into chunks and baked (sort of like home fries but without the oil and spices) and dipped in BBQ sauce/ketchup; 1 oz pretzels and date (I know, not the healthiest foods, but I need some "snacks"

Djuna

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Double post Sad.

Edited 01/03/12 8:23 AM
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 8:27 AM

cch22, thanks for reminding me of "oh she glows" blog! I enjoy that one too. The top soups of 2011 and top entrees look delicious. I've found some good recipes on her blog and it is entertaining. My daughter likes her Green Smoothie recipe from her other website - greenmonstermovement

Today I'll be eating a Thai Tempeh recipe I picked up at Whole Foods last week.

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Day 2! It's fun to see what everyone is eating.

Here's me:

Breakfast: old fashioned rolled oats with kiwis, my homemade sugar-free cranberry sauce and flax seed.

Lunch: Crunchy, Colorful Salad and hummus sandwich. Here's what the salad looks like and how to make, it's a visual feast!

Crunchy Colorful Salad

Here's my hummus recipe if it helps you out:

Hummus is the new mayo

Dinner TBA, but I'm thinking veggie wrap! Here's a how-to video, with our very own PCRM grrrl Jill Eckart:

Veggie Sandwich Wrap: A fast food favorite

Enjoy what you eat!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I'll be eating leftover black-eye peas and collard greens for a while - a New Year's Day tradition! I mixed this superstition with some brown basmati rice and lots of hot sauce.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Susan Levin wrote:

I'll be eating leftover black-eye peas and collard greens for a while - a New Year's Day tradition! I mixed this superstition with some brown basmati rice and lots of hot sauce.

I ate the same thing for lunch today - except instead of rice, I had a piece of cornbread.

Dinner tonight is chili... Cool

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM

The kickstart motivated me to look for a quick and easy Vegan veggie burger recipe and I found one! the quick Black Bean Burger from the Happy Herbivore. Made them today and they are great.

Only ingredients are instant oats, onion powder, garlic powder, yellow mustard, ketchup and a can of black beans.

http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/quick-black-bean-burger/

I used Hunt's ketchup because it contains no high fructose corn syrup.

Edited 01/03/12 5:24 PM
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Breakfast - Kale, blueberry and almond milk smoothie
Lunch - Hoppin John Salad
Snack - Clementine
Dinner - Veggie burger on Ezekiel bread

Life is a song worth singing.

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I had the Southern Beans and Greens stuffed in pita bread with spicy hummus, then had soup later in the day.

...I'm a student so I don't exactly classify meals into the normal breakfast/lunch/dinner category - I just sort of eat when I'm hungry and it's convenient.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I ate some fruit for breakfast.

Snacked on a piece of toast.

Ate the carrot soup and veggie burger for lunch.

Had the southern beans and greens over quinoa for dinner with extra tabasco. Smile

Had the southern beans and greens over quinoa for dinner with extra tabasco. Smile

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Breakfast I had fruit

lunch i had left over knocci of which I mafe last night yummm

for dinner will be stirfry

so far not struggling at all being vegan

snacks nuts and raisens.

With chilli garlic olives. Mushrooms and tomatoes in my life. Beinf vegan is great...

Hope every one else is going as great as i!!

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Breakfast I had fruit

lunch i had left over knocci of which I mafe last night yummm

for dinner will be stirfry

so far not struggling at all being vegan

snacks nuts and raisens.

With chilli garlic olives. Mushrooms and tomatoes in my life. Beinf vegan is great...

Hope every one else is going as great as i!!

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:54 AM

The day started with 3 cups of freshly brewed coffee. Lunch was met with a 1/2 loaf of sourdough bread and a crisp apple. Dinner was a small helping of carrots, sugar snaps, celery, and broccoli. Desert - Chocolate. Consensus: Still hungry, feel tired.

I need help. I don't have a kitchen (rent a room have small microwave and paper plates, plastic utensils). I'm on a limited budget (laid off 3 days before christmas) so cheaper the better.

It may not be the best time to start this diet due to it being so expensive for all the products out there. But I am wondering if anyone else is in this situation that could lend some ideas on how to eat healthy, economically, for 1 person, with no kitchen, and keep it interesting?

~Diana~

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Hi,
Thanks to everyone who answered. I love to see what everyone is eating.
Maybe we could give Diana a few ideas??

Ok..if you only have limited space and are working with a microwave.. first off have double duty dishes. Dishes to store, mix and go in the microwave.. Glass dishes with lids work great. 2-3 cups each...about a serving.. Don't want you melting plastic in the microwave! My personal favorite is corningware.

do you have access to the fridge? if so this makes it easier. If you don't..it is still not impossible.

Breakfast.. oatmeal..easy to do in the microwave. Its not your mom's oatmeal anymore, add fruit.. apple or bananna, or whatever you like. This will go a long way to solving the hunger problem. oatmeal is very filling and good for you.

another breakfast idea is cereal w/milk alternative & yes fruit in it or with it.. personally i eat kashi heart to heart almost everday.. with unsweetened soy milk..and a banana. I buy the large box at walmart. $5.00 instead of the little ones that don't last.. and the milk is about 3.50. bananas 2.00.. That should take care of breakfast for a week.

Oatmeal is even more thrifty.

Lunches... bagged salad mix.. & maybe mix in baby spinach too (i like very veggie) with any additonal veggies and chick peas!! yum.. I don't do salad dressing... just a good sweet vinegar..

Hummus wrap.. store bought hummus... add whatever veggies you like and nuke it.. spinach wilts very quick. to spice it up a little add salsa over the top. watch out for high fuctose corn syrup when buying the salsa... some inexpensive ones are very good. lots of flavor with little cost.

dinner...
i guess beans are your new favorite. Some of these kickstart salads are very large.. make smaller versions. But if you have a prepared cold salad ready to go, dinner is easy. hoppin john is nutrious. ..

you might like instant brown rice.... pour over tomato sauce (no high frutose corn syrup).. nuke frozen mixed stir fry veggies & a favorite bean..

make your own version of chili..can of red beans, can of crushed tomatoes, can of corn, cut up green pepper serve with whole wheat bread. Nuke green pepper just to crisp tender, add the rest and heat throughly.

you can do this.. and it is way less expensive to eat beans than meat... go to the library.. get vegan on the cheap...and a few others..

take care.. hope this helps..
cch

ps. one of my all time favorite...brown rice, salsa, beans,green pepper & onion..served hot.

Edited 01/04/12 7:45 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Hi Diana,

Well if you only have a micro wave for heating then your better off trying to eat as much raw food as you can.

Salads with chick peas or mixed beans (you can buy canned)

fruit for breakfast- half honey dew melon and bananna

Lunch a salad as above with balsamic vinegar or another dressing

dinners: baked beans on toast, the above recepie, if you realy want a hot meal try this (i did this when I lived with minumal appliances): canned tomatoes, frozen veges, chich peas, mixed herbs and chilli (dried) in a dish, into the micro wave for about 3 minutes

microwave brown rice.

can keep for lunch the next day

if you have half a loaf of sour dough that would make you tired, you should only have one or two slices.

What about a loaf of brown bread, avocardo (thats the meat of the sandwhich), tomato and lettuce, olives, hummas(if u like hummas, i usually have with out).(you can do more salad if you like) that will do you a weeks worth of lunches.(make one or two sandwhiches for lunch)

tinned vege soup, you can get spicey lentil also

I think if you stick to fruit for breky, sandwhich for lunch or salad or soup for lunch, then beans on toast or salad or chili for dinner you will be fine

look at Vegan recepies and make them your own.

Wraps are great also

you can even make a curry in the microwave if needs be. chick peas, lentil, tinned tomato, curry powder chille. microwave for how ever long and bam its ready.

just a few ideas SmileSmile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 214 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org