21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: vegan in a dairy-loving world.
Created on: 03/08/14 05:09 PM Views: 790 Replies: 5
vegan in a dairy-loving world.
Posted Saturday, March 8, 2014 at 5:09 PM

What do you guys do when you're out and about, and someone messes up the order, or friends/family think that you can have something when it still contains non-vegan ingredients?

For example...being a full time student, i often study at cafes. i order a drink with soy, and when i taste it, i know it's NOT soy. It's a very small amount of some kind of milk...but I KNOW it's not soy. turns out, they used heavy whipping cream in my coffee instead of soy! (what in heck is all this cream? the difference between half-half, heavy, light...and some of my classmates even tell me it's not milk, therefore it's not realy 'dairy.' isn't that kind of cheating lol? a little confusing...anyhow.

i don't know how to react in this situation. i would want to say to them, 'i don't consume dairy, please make this correctly the next time with the soy milk' but then i'd worry..is this pretentious of me? after all, they work so hard to make coffee for the customers and i don't want to add even more stress to their day.

most people would say, not to take it so seriously and let it go, or oh, you can be vegan with just a few exceptions but to me personally, i believe in really doing something to the best extent, so i don't want to be a 'sometimes' vegan or a 'vegan except a, b, c' kind of person. because...where do you draw the line then? it all becomes confusing if you're like 'well i have cheese, but not yogurt. but i'm still vegan besides that. oh and sometimes i eat ice cream. and sometimes i...' see how that is dangerous!

RE: vegan in a dairy-loving world.
Posted Saturday, March 8, 2014 at 5:16 PM

PS. I did ask them nicely, to make it over with soy milk. they did, and apologized, but they didn't seem to understand..the person asked 'why? what's wrong with whipped cream?' ..well there is nothing WRONG or you know...but for me personally i wished to tell them how i am indeed transitioning to a vegan diet and so that is very important to me. but again..not everyone would understand.

Posted Saturday, March 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I might be tempted to say, "I am highly allergic to anything with dairy products in it and could have a severe reaction." They need to learn to give people what they ask for. Period.

Vikki ~

Posted Saturday, March 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I might be tempted to say, "I am highly allergic to anything with dairy products in it and could have a severe reaction." They need to learn to give people what they ask for. Period.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 1:45 AM

kittens09 wrote:

PS. I did ask them nicely, to make it over with soy milk. they did, and apologized, but they didn't seem to understand..the person asked 'why? what's wrong with whipped cream?' ..well there is nothing WRONG or you know...but for me personally i wished to tell them how i am indeed transitioning to a vegan diet and so that is very important to me. but again..not everyone would understand.

"Why? What's wrong with whipped cream?" is that you asked to have it with soy milk, not milk or cream.

It's their job to prepare it however you want it, whether they agree with your reasons, or even know your reasons or not. Yes, I'd definitely have them make it over. There's no need to justify it, they just made it wrong, as in not how the customer requested it.

Posted Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Even when people are super nice and try really hard to prepare your order, it's okay to say what you want! Then (a) you get what you pay for (2) you make future soy drinker's lives easier (3) the venue becomes known for better service and has less chance of going out of business. Everybody wins!

Another way to think of it is that people do make special requests that are "non-negotiable" including for religious reasons and for health reasons (allergies). I think any are all as valid as your reasons!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 159 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org