21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Casein in 'veggy' cheese
Created on: 04/11/12 10:34 PM Views: 5709 Replies: 27
Casein in 'veggy' cheese
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I feel like this happens a lot with my vegan efforts...I make a mistake or I totally forget to look more closely =(

I found what I *thought* was vegan cheese slices, just sometimes at night it's a good snack...but it lists casein..and I didn't realize or see it ahead of time.
It is so frustrating how this happens, I know I should not beat myself up over it...

Do any of you make occasional mistakes or have you in the past, if you've been vegan a long time now? how do you let the slips not affect you and keep going?

Also, why is casein so bad? I just hear that it's a terrible thing but not clear as to why...

Thanks so much Very Happy

RE: Casein in 'veggy' cheese
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM

We all make mistakes, don't beat yourself up!
I accidentally ate popcorn with too much oil/fat.
I just stopped eating it once I realized.

It's alright. Tomorrow's another day. Smile

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Hi Kitty 18,

Casein is a protein from cows milk so it's not vegan. Some people can be allergic to it.

I had a cows milk allergy as a child - it was probably the casein as I am not lactose intolerant.

As for making mistakes, I do it probably more often than I even know. I realise some mistakes but its possible I may eat something with a non vegan ingredient that I am not even aware of. Being vegan seems to require constant vigulance. Its not as relaxed as when I was vegetarian. Like the scenario you gave, my mistakes are ususaly to do with reading labels or when I am not eating at home. I try not to beat myself up about it but endeavour to do better at the next meal. I also try not to use the mistakes as an excuse to continue to eat bad on that day under the guise that I have already 'blown'it for the day.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Kitty, please don't stress. It's a journey with a whole lot of learning and mistakes involved. I made the cheese mistake for WEEKS the first time because I didn't read the label. Why would I? I mean really, what's the point of a cheese substitute if you're going to have dairy in it anyway? Am I right? May as well eat the real thing! So imagine MY face when the vegan checker at trader Joe's said, "You know that's not vegan, right?" I must have had a face like a smacked ass.

I still make occasional mistakes, especially with vegetarian "burgers" and sausages and with baked goods. At this point I put vegan baking up there with getting all your socks out of the dryer or folding fitted sheets... to be really good at it clearly requires witchcraft or some sort of ancient Egyptian scarab and a human sacrifice.

But, I keep plugging along. And besides, my occasional mistakes often provide hours of joyful mirth for my teenagers. Who, if there is a God, will someday have teenagers of their own. 9 or 10 of them. And some cats too. Finicky cats.

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Casein is a milk protein. It is the element of milk which is at the centre of much of the current research that shows the connection between milk and cancer growth.

I guess there are enough people out there who avoid dairy for reasons other than casein that it is worth it for the food industry to produce these cheese substitutes. The "health food section" of my local grocery store is full of products which are not vegan, so I try to remember to read labels. Apparently there are lots of people out there who just want to keep eating the same as ever, but feel better about it, or maybe they have a particular allergy, hence the abundance of vegan junk food, gluten free cookies, peanut free candy, etc. some of my favourite products are not even in that section.

The "mistake" you made is something that happens to us all. You are making a wonderful transition, and just learned something to help you along your way. Don't beat yourself up, pat yourself on the back for having noticed. Don't trust the front of the box, read the ingredients!

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 6:15 AM

I NEVER make mistakes. My diet is pure as new fallen snow! LOL!

I do my dead-level best, yet I know there are times that something slips in unknown or not noticed. You could drive yourself insane trying to be perfect.

I like to say that my path is one of progress, not perfection. Now that you know, you won't make that particular mistake again. Maybe a new one, but not that one!
Wink

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Wild4Stars wrote:

I NEVER make mistakes. My diet is pure as new fallen snow! LOL! Wink

I saw this line and had to check who wrote it - I thought it was Theodore! Laughing

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Bugsmom wrote:

Wild4Stars wrote:
I NEVER make mistakes. My diet is pure as new fallen snow! LOL! Wink

I saw this line and had to check who wrote it - I thought it was Theodore! Laughing

--Deb R

Theodore has been kind of quiet lately, thought I would step up to the plate!

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I thought it was Theodore too! I guess we miss him.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM

If you are interested in learning more about casein, check out The China Study by T. Collin Campbell:
http://www.amazon.com/The-China-Study-Comprehensive-Implications/dp/1932100660/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334235016&sr=8-1

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Anyone here who thinks you can't give up cheese, or having a tough time with your cheese addiction needs to read "The China Study."

I was vegetarian for 10 years, and even though I ate very little dairy products, simply because I've never cared much for it, after reading "The China Study" I got it out of my diet totally.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Kitty-

As someone else who's new to the scene, I've made the same mistake. I have trouble too with beating myself up over little mistakes, but I'm learning not to. It's easy to think that you HAVE to be perfect at it the first time around, but that's an unreasonable expectation. I have a vegan friend who lives on the other side of the country and has been vegan for about 3 years now. I learned recently from a mutual friend of ours (who was visiting home, so we got to hang out) that she occasionally makes a slip up, and sometimes a big one. She's just always so perfect and staying on track when I see her, that it feels like she's never made a mistake. Learning that she's made mistakes has honestly helped me to feel a bit better about my slip ups, because the person who is my inspiration for getting into this lifestyle doesn't do it perfectly either.

This is something it's taken me a while to learn in life in general: mistakes happen, it's no big deal, just pick yourself up and move on. If I'm able to accept this in other areas of my life, why not in my efforts to follow a vegan diet?

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Also, SpongeBob? Your post made me laugh so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. It was just the pick-me-up that I needed this morning.

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Always happy to help Taco... always happy to help!

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I got quite a few chuckles out of this thread! Thanks Spongebob and Wild4Stars~ yes it has been quiet without Theodore!

Okay, to the topic at hand... I have been at this veg life for over 20 years. Not all vegan but a good portion of it. During this time frame (yawn) I read that it is nearly impossible to be 100% vegan! As we purchase products daily that have glue and most glue is not vegan. They used to scare us with film (gelatin) but now we have digital cameras. There is a scary amount of items we routinely purchase that have animals bits tucked somewhere in the production/ingredients.

You would basically need to remove yourself from industrial society and grow all of your own foods with no purchased fertilizers, mill and weave your own clothing from fibers you grew, make your own shoes, furniture, build your own home probably out of hay or clay, don't own a vehicle... get the idea? Not sure the Amish can even do that one!

With this in mind, I like to think everyone makes the very best choices with the information they have. What more can we do? Had you known that cheese had casein in it, you would not have purchased it nor eaten it! How can you possibly beat yourself up for information you did not have?
Few of us have Einstein's brilliance but few also beat themselves up over it.

Hug yourself, be grateful for this fabulous opportunity to learn something new and share that information, possibly enlightening those around you!

For everyone else ~ keep those chuckles coming!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 04/12/12 11:25 AM
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Oceandog wrote:

Few of us have Einstein's brilliance but few also beat themselves up over

Few of us have Einstein's hair either - be grateful! Laughing

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

*rolls in laughter!* you guys are awesome Very Happy You know, I wonder if we published our dialogues, could we convince more people to join the dark side of veganism... clearly there's never a dull moment!

But seriously thanks for the support, it's my nature to be hard on myself when Imake mistakes in general. I'm glad I am not alone in making the 'veggy' product mistake - they really should write somewhere in bold letters 'This is NOT vegan!'

And Madeleine - I agree that so-called 'health' foods seem even WORSE than the regulars. Not to mention way over-priced and too many un-pronouncable ingredients...I was shocked to find these GF cookies that were twice as much as Oreos for example...or jars of 'natural' peanut butter for $10.00!!

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Yep I was fairly shocked when I discovered that the soy cheese I was eating contained dairy. Brands that have similar packaging don't so I was caught out. My guess is lots of people don't realise. I can't think of any other reason people would buy an alternate containing dairy anyway!!

Eating out is probably an minefield of mistakes as non vegeggie people don't always understand terms like casein Lactose etc

I just do the best I can.

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Oh boy, thanks for your kind words, ladies.

Unfortunately work is so hectic right now that I'm only getting a chance to check out the forum once per day, so can't post as much as I'd like.

But I don't think I can top what's been written on this thread already anyway. Lots of helpful information. Great job y'all.

Theodore

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, April 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Yes, I have made mistakes too. I bought rice cheese that ended up having casein. Also, I didn't ask what is in it, but opted for the veggie burger at Burger King. I went to their website and found out it is a morningstar veggie burger, but it is the non vegan with egg and milk products! Oooooh! And it has a lot of cholesterol, probably thanks to the egg.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 174 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org