21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: yogurt withdrawal!!!
Created on: 01/03/12 05:08 PM Views: 4636 Replies: 23
yogurt withdrawal!!!
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I feel like my body chemistry is "out of whack" without my daily nonfat greek yogurt. I have been experimenting with kickstart food for several weeks before the official start. The week I subbed breakfast scramble for yogurt I got a thrush infection in my throat....a possible side effect from my asthma inhaler I have successfully avoided for years. Now, after just a few days without yogurt I have a UTI. Embarassed I am going to have a soy ygurt for dessert tonight....does it have the same cultures the dairy yogurt does??? I feel like my body is "addicted to those cultures. Thanks for any help and advice.

RE: yogurt withdrawal!!!
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Not sure if it would help but perhaps try some probiotic supplements?

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I'm certainly no vegan expert. But if you are having health issues that you believe to be caused by taking away a nutrition then by all means put it back. No diet is worth a UTI.

I'm only on my second day and I am starting to experience headaches. I don't know if its the diet or not yet but if it is then I will stop to feel better.

Just common sense.

~Diana~

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Naturlvr, are you rinsing out your mouth after you use your inhaler? I know a lot of people would say all the symptoms are the bodies way of "detoxing".

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM

supercrazybitch wrote:

I'm certainly no vegan expert. But if you are having health issues that you believe to be caused by taking away a nutrition then by all means put it back. No diet is worth a UTI.

I'm only on my second day and I am starting to experience headaches. I don't know if its the diet or not yet but if it is then I will stop to feel better.

Just common sense.

NO that is not common sense. Would you say that to a heroin addict? It just means that their body needs to detox from the substance. If you end up with headaches it's the same thing, you are detoxing from something you've been eating- it doesn't mean you need to eat it. It means you need to drink plenty of water and hang in there for a week and you'll feel much better than before you stopped eating whatever it is.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM

surrealchereal wrote:

NO that is not common sense. Would you say that to a heroin addict? It just means that their body needs to detox from the substance. If you end up with headaches it's the same thing, you are detoxing from something you've been eating- it doesn't mean you need to eat it. It means you need to drink plenty of water and hang in there for a week and you'll feel much better than before you stopped eating whatever it is.

I don't know about that. Nutrition and heroin are two different things. It's one thing to be addicted to say for example tobacco. It's another thing to be missing a key part to a diet.

The body naturally craves the nutrition you are missing with a craving your mind attaches to the food. The vegan diet replaces nutrition that is found in other forms of food. Acidophilus is good bacteria culture found in yogurt. It supports the large intestine and in women the vaginal tract. Take away acidophilus and replace it with what? Other than supplements I don't think there is a vegan replacement.

~Diana~

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Sorry double post. Smile

Edited 01/04/12 10:09 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM

OK perhaps I was being a bit flip. My apologies. Smile
BUT why are we the only species that drinks another animal's milk? Do you really think that we will be missing key elements for our health without it? Why cows milk? Why not dog or rat milk? 90 percent of the world population can't tollerate dairy.
I think the dairy people just like the meat people spend millions and millions making us believe we need milk.

Here it is in a nutshell- http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html
and
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/dairy-free-dairy-6-reason_b_558876.html

Milk and yogurt is the same, I feel the whole probiotics thing is an advertising campaign to sell us something we do not need and indeed may be harmful to us, just like the tobacco companies in the past.

Edited 01/04/12 10:11 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I'd recommend trying the vegan version of your greek yogurt - a soy, rice, or coconut version are available at health food stores and some regular grocers as well.

And, your in luck, I happened to be eating a soy yogurt this morning so I can literally read you the ingredients!

Indeed they have the probiotics in them that dairy yogurt has because those probiotics are not naturally in dairy, they are added to the yogurt.

In Whole Soy & Co. for instance, there are vegan live active cultures: L. Acidophilus, B. Bifidum, L. Bulgaricus and S. Thermophilus.

See what you think.

Best,
Jill Eckart
PCRM Nutrition Program Manager

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I appreciate all of the advice, and am enjoying the debate!! I did try one soy yogurt (silk live) and liked it. I had a mini carton of O'soy today and it made my mouth and throat itch. I did find out that it actually has dairy based cultures, so I won't be buying it any more. I worry about eating soy yogurt in the morning because I take medicince for thyroid (high maintenance or what ). I will keep experimenting, but I'm not going to bail on the kickstart yet Smile

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Naturlvr wrote:

I appreciate all of the advice, and am enjoying the debate!! I did try one soy yogurt (silk live) and liked it. I had a mini carton of O'soy today and it made my mouth and throat itch. I did find out that it actually has dairy based cultures, so I won't be buying it any more. I worry about eating soy yogurt in the morning because I take medicince for thyroid (high maintenance or what ). I will keep experimenting, but I'm not going to bail on the kickstart yet Smile

Try other yogurts (soy milk, tofu, etc and I don't get along so well). I tried coconut milk yogurt but found it a bit too sweet for my taste. If you google a bit, you can find ways to make your own yogurt using whatever type of plant milk you choose (almond milk, for instance).

I used to LOVE my Greek yogurt (one per day as a handy snack). That was the one thing I held onto during my first kickstart. Then, as the budget got tight, I cut out the Greek yogurt - just for a week until the next grocery trip. One week turned into three turned into a year. Of course, I'm not on inhaled steroids either so that is definitely a different issue. But, there are likely other ways to get the same type of benefits without dairy based yogurt (or even yogurt at all - it's basically about finding sources of the types of bacteria you're looking for, whether it's yogurt or some other type of cultured or fermented food)

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM

supercrazybitch wrote:

The body naturally craves the nutrition you are missing with a craving your mind attaches to the food.

I guess a lotta people must actually need french fries and doughnuts then.

Wash your back

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM

surrealchereal wrote:

Here it is in a nutshell- http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html

Okay, that was more than a nutshell. I'd need to take a day off to read all that.

surrealchereal wrote:

I agree and I disagree. 1stly let me put out there that I don't drink milk, ice cream, or even yogurt. I just don't like it period and I live fine without it.

I can't agree to science anymore only because it's failed us so many times in the past concerning nutrition. A break through comes out that egg yolks are the best thing in the world and 3 years later someone comes out and says it's all wrong. We've all heard these stories before.

I really think we are all different even though we all have bodies. Some of us function better on a diet consisting more of one thing than the other and others function better more balanced. Just because I don't need yogurt cultures shouldn't mean that you don't either.

~Diana~

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM

theodore wrote:

I think you are completely missing the point.
If one were to crave those things then they are not replacing those carbs that are needed in the vegan diet. If you replace those exact things with a healthy alternative then your body will not crave those french fries and doughnuts.

~Diana~

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM

supercrazybitch wrote:

theodore wrote:

I think you are completely missing the point.
If one were to crave those things then they are not replacing those carbs that are needed in the vegan diet. If you replace those exact things with a healthy alternative then your body will not crave those french fries and doughnuts.

So eating baked potatos would take away the craving for french fries ??

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 12:11 AM

theodore wrote:

So eating baked potatos would take away the craving for french fries ??

Ya. Potatoes plus a salt plus an oil = french fries

So if you replaced all that nutritionally vegan style you wouldn't crave french fries.

If you ate a baked potato and still had a craving for a french fry you'd have to ask yourself what you are missing. Is it the salt or is it a type of oil that the fry was cooked in.

~Diana~

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 9:23 AM

supercrazybitch wrote:

The body naturally craves the nutrition you are missing with a craving your mind attaches to the food.

I just got a timely e-mail from FOK (Forks Over Knives). They will discuss Why our natural instincts are making us sicker and fatter. Info below.

"On Sunday January 8, join us on our Facebook page or Livestream page for a live broadcast of psychologist Dr. Doug Lisle in his presentation "How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind." Dr. Lisle, who was featured in FOK, will discuss why our "natural" instincts are making us sicker and fatter, how to harness life-changing tools for healthy living, and more! Begins at 7 pm ET/4pm PT. If you miss the Livestream, you will be able to watch it on our Youtube page by Tuesday, January 10th."

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Dontx wrote:

supercrazybitch wrote:

I just got a timely e-mail from FOK (Forks Over Knives). They will discuss Why our natural instincts are making us sicker and fatter. Info below.

"On Sunday January 8, join us on our Facebook page or Livestream page for a live broadcast of psychologist Dr. Doug Lisle in his presentation "How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind." Dr. Lisle, who was featured in FOK, will discuss why our "natural" instincts are making us sicker and fatter, how to harness life-changing tools for healthy living, and more! Begins at 7 pm ET/4pm PT. If you miss the Livestream, you will be able to watch it on our Youtube page by Tuesday, January 10th."

Part of it, just a guess, is not so much the "natural instincts" but rather how we're satisfying them. For instance, people need some fat in their diet (even the kickstart assumes 10% of calories intake of fat). However, (a) we eat MORE than we need to meet that nutrient need (b) the types of fat we eat are generally not great (c) we aren't moving and using the fat the way it was designed to be used (fat helps insulate, but we have central heat and such; we don't expend as much energy to keep warm or gather food).

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Dontx wrote:

I just got a timely e-mail from FOK (Forks Over Knives). They will discuss Why our natural instincts are making us sicker and fatter.

Thats a no brainer. Processed food is garbage and we all grew up eating it therefore our heads identify the nutrition with the garbage.

For example, 15 years ago I went to Chiapas, Mexico and lived for a period of one year with a tribe in the heartland of the jungle. My diet changed to all natural stuff. It was the easiest life in the world, if it wasn't in the midst of drug trafficking cartel and corrupt government I'd move there in a heartbeat. No electricity and no running water.

Even though meat was still in my diet, about a month into living with this tribe I started craving pizza. It was like a week withdrawal period trying to figure out what I need to eat replace the nutrients what my body was craving. Luckily, I met with some other tribe members further away and they hooked me up with some goat cheese that they made fresh from their animals. That night our little section (or group) did baked plantain with chili peppers topped with goat cheese. And like magic my craving for pizza went away.

~Diana~

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM

supercrazybitch wrote:

Thats a no brainer. Processed food is garbage and we all grew up eating it therefore our heads identify the nutrition with the garbage.

Even though meat was still in my diet, about a month into living with this tribe I started craving pizza. It was like a week withdrawal period trying to figure out what I need to eat replace the nutrients what my body was craving. ......... baked plantain with chili peppers topped with goat cheese. And like magic my craving for pizza went away.

Found missing nutrients in goat cheese??? Probably not. Your are right when you wrote it, you were going through withdraw.

In cheese, casein is concentrated, and so is the level of casomorphins, so the pleasurable effect is greater. Neal Barnard, MD said, “Since cheese is processed to express out all the liquid, it’s an incredibly concentrated source of casomorphins—you might call it dairy crack.” (Source: VegetarianTimes.com)

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 266 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org