21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: yogurt withdrawal!!!
Created on: 01/03/12 05:09 PM Views: 1387 Replies: 4
yogurt withdrawal!!!
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I feel like my body chemistry is "out of whack" without my daily nonfat greek yogurt. I have been experimenting with kickstart food for several weeks before the official start. The week I subbed breakfast scramble for yogurt I got a thrush infection in my throat....a possible side effect from my asthma inhaler I have successfully avoided for years. Now, after just a few days without yogurt I have a UTI. Embarassed I am going to have a soy ygurt for dessert tonight....does it have the same cultures the dairy yogurt does??? I feel like my body is "addicted to those cultures. Thanks for any help and advice.

RE: yogurt withdrawal!!!
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I am so not a doctor, but have cats that have been suffering with UTI's lately. I really suggest cranberry pills, which cleared them up. Make sure you are drinking lots and lots of water too.

I'm thinking the thrush could be the asthma inhaler too, I remember all the warnings with mine. When I stopped the dairy, I was able to say bye bye to the asthma inhaler. My other allergies are almost zero, and I used to have to treat them almost daily. Only one that still gets me is dust allergies which warn me it is time to clean my house, lol.

Edited 01/03/12 6:11 PM
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Any commercial yogurt that has pro/pre biotics will have the same added cultures whether soy or cow's milk.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Thanks Susan and VeganGinny! I did not express myself clearly in my first post. I know the thrus probably did come from my daily prevention inhaler...but I have been using that inhaler for years and never gotten the thrush complication. A few days without yogurt and bam! Thrush!

Does anyone out there take a pro-biotic? Soy yogurt has a lot of calories for a lot less protein than the Greek (dairy) non fat does, so I don't know if I will be eating it every day, but again I'm worried about my "good bacteria" balance. Thanks again!

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I take a vegan probiotic. It is Lactobacillus Sporogenes, and I was prescribed by my Naturopath (a very cool guy!). I have found it helpful. (and no extra calories Razz

Here's a link with more info: http://www.fiberrific.com/probio_vegan.html

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 167 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org