21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Lowering cholesterol
Created on: 04/27/14 09:49 PM Views: 1077 Replies: 6
Lowering cholesterol
Posted Sunday, April 27, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I began the WFPB lifestyle in January and have had no animal/poultry/seafood, dairy/eggs, or added oil since then. I used Rip's 28 day program, Dr Barnard's, and Dr McDougall's recipes and I followed the Kickstart menus too. Thanks for all the help! My blood cholesterol was 269 before I started. I lost 15 lbs and my cholesterol was 253 in April (last week). I expected a MUCH larger drop in cholesterol after watching the Forks over Knives video and reading Drs. Barnard, Campbell, and McDougall's books. I am female, overweight (35 more lbs to lose), have no gall bladder (surgery in 1999) and low thyroid (taking 25 mg synthroid). Now I'm looking for more ways to get the disappointing cholesterol numbers down. I have arthritis in one foot and have not found an exercise routine yet that doesn't make the pain worse. Can the lack of gall bladder and low thyroid make it more difficult to lower cholesterol? Is lack of exercise a key factor? Do you have any suggestions Question

Edited 04/27/14 9:51 PM
RE: Lowering cholesterol
Posted Monday, April 28, 2014 at 5:16 AM

Don't lose heart! After six months of WFPB my cholesterol went down a whole 3 points! VERY disappointing to me. I made sure to eat oatmeal every morning, cannot remember what other tweaks I made, but I stayed the course. And after a year, my cholesterol went from 203 to 173, with NO cholesterol medications. I was rather excited that second time I had it checked. Hang in there ! (of course, I don't take synthroid, and I do have my gall bladder, so not the same, but just wanted you to know you aren't the only one who didn't see a big drop after six months on this way of eating)

Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 1:14 PM

oatmeal was a key for my hubby. A serving of oatmeal for breakfast every morning (plus exercise to try to raise the HDL) and the doctor did a double take because the numbers were so much better. HOWEVER, his HDL is still lower than it should be, his LDL higher than it should be, and he is taking medication. Keep in mind that some of it is genetic. Also, total cholesterol is a formula that combines HDL, LDL, and other lipids into one number. But, if the HDL is higher than average (in a good way) that can still throw the total off. For example, my HDL averages around 75, so my doctor ignores the total and looks at the individual lipid values (HDL, LDL, triglycerides, etc.) to get a clearer picture of things. There's no point in medications to lower cholesterol when the HDL (the good stuff) is what is higher than average. I'm not on medication and both my HDL and LDL average around 75. My dad also has higher than average HDL, so it's a genetic situation most likely.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM

@Vegan67: you mentioned you haven't found any type of exercise that doesn't exacerbate your arthritis.

Have you tried water running? It's something you can do in the deep end of a pool (with a flotation belt). From what I've read it's a good way to get the heart rate up without the impact that other sports can have on the joints. If you look it up online I'm sure there are many tutorials out there.

Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Bugsmom wrote:

oatmeal was a key for my hubby. A serving of oatmeal for breakfast every morning (plus exercise to try to raise the HDL) and the doctor did a double take because the numbers were so much better. HOWEVER, his HDL is still lower than it should be, his LDL higher than it should be, and he is taking medication. Keep in mind that some of it is genetic. Also, total cholesterol is a formula that combines HDL, LDL, and other lipids into one number. But, if the HDL is higher than average (in a good way) that can still throw the total off. For example, my HDL averages around 75, so my doctor ignores the total and looks at the individual lipid values (HDL, LDL, triglycerides, etc.) to get a clearer picture of things. There's no point in medications to lower cholesterol when the HDL (the good stuff) is what is higher than average. I'm not on medication and both my HDL and LDL average around 75. My dad also has higher than average HDL, so it's a genetic situation most likely.

Deb, one thing I'd say about this is I've heard one of the doctors (possibly Fuhrman) say that in his experience a person's diet is more of a risk factor than a high cholesterol score. I think he said that he'd be more worried about someone who has a crappy diet and a normal cholesterol score than someone who has a good diet but a high cholesterol score.

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, May 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Vegan67 wrote:

I began the WFPB lifestyle in January and have had no animal/poultry/seafood, dairy/eggs, or added oil since then. I used Rip's 28 day program, Dr Barnard's, and Dr McDougall's recipes and I followed the Kickstart menus too. Thanks for all the help! My blood cholesterol was 269 before I started. I lost 15 lbs and my cholesterol was 253 in April (last week). I expected a MUCH larger drop in cholesterol after watching the Forks over Knives video and reading Drs. Barnard, Campbell, and McDougall's books. I am female, overweight (35 more lbs to lose), have no gall bladder (surgery in 1999) and low thyroid (taking 25 mg synthroid). Now I'm looking for more ways to get the disappointing cholesterol numbers down. I have arthritis in one foot and have not found an exercise routine yet that doesn't make the pain worse. Can the lack of gall bladder and low thyroid make it more difficult to lower cholesterol? Is lack of exercise a key factor? Do you have any suggestions Question
I was eating a WFPB no SOS minimally processed diet - thought I was doing the right thing. What I failed to take into account was the fat intake as a percentage of daily calories. Oh yes, avocado and nuts and plain almond butter were apparently my downfall. When I dropped the fat to 10%, 5 months later both my cholesterol and LDL dropped 40 points, and LDL-P dropped 350! I used the Cronometer online tool to check my fat intake. I did add in more aerobic exercise to my weekly routine. I lift weights, do tai chi and yoga, but I started doing 1/2 hr aerobics 3/wk plus walking 1/2 hour every day.

Posted Sunday, May 4, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Thanks for the help, WFPB friends. I am staying the course. The reason I started this was worsening digestive distress while eating and a heart pain scare last Fall. The stomach pain is diagnosed as excess bile and I can eat without pain on this low fat/low protein diet. Such a relief! The heart pain has not recurred but I still want to see better results on blood tests. I've begun working out on an exercise bike. Swimming may be an option in the future. I've added more oatmeal to my breakfast choices. Thanks again.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 751 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org