21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Anyone have diabetes 2??
Created on: 09/08/12 10:05 AM Views: 825 Replies: 3
Anyone have diabetes 2??
Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Please help..just diagnosed. Tia!

RE: Anyone have diabetes 2??
Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Tia

I know several people do and they will be a big help to you as soon as they log in.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM

D2 IS scary. I have it as well. Try to be patient with yourself. You likely did not get a BS of 300 overnight. It is unlikely that it will go away overnight. That said, vegan really does help. The trick is to get enough protein etc without all the carbs usually found in bread and beans. I really love beans and have to be aware if portion control. I am also gluten sensitive, so most bread is out. Ezekiel bread does nit seem to bother me, but it is really expensive. Vegan does help, I guess partly because you pay more attention to getting more unprocessed fruits and vegetables. I don't use the menus here because they cost too much. A typical supper for us is beans, greens and fruit, usually with cornbread as it is gluten free. My challenge is getting the cornbread right without buttermilk LOL. Just remember to be good to yourself. Your d2 is unlike anyone else's. You have to find what works for you as an individual and even that changes over time. I was diagnosed in 1998. Have spent years on and off insulin. I hope you find some help with your Dr or endocrinologist,or with your dietician if you are lucky enough to have any of those. Pm me if you like.

Janeoverton

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM

janeo wrote:

D2 IS scary. I have it as well. Try to be patient with yourself.

Yes, it can be scary - and right after diagnosis, you'll probably go through many of the stages/phases of grieving - fear, anger, denial, blame, etc. So being patient with yourself is really important.

Quote:

I don't use the menus here because they cost too much.

They don't have to once you're used to it - first go-round, yes, getting some of the staple items can be expensive (spices and all) but long-term, most of it is less expensive than a typical processed food way of eating.

Quote:

A typical supper for us is beans, greens and fruit,

Just remember that all fruit may not be suitable for you individually. For us, we usually have a green, a grain, and bean/lentil. We use quinoa often because it's a higher protein, lower glycemic type grain. A meal might be quinoa and chickpeas with quickly braised spinach or chard. Fruit, for me, is a snack, not a main part of a meal or a regular thing generally. I can handle an apple or a banana but peaches or grapes - no way. And dried fruit, because it's so concentrated, has to be handled very carefully because it's mostly sugars.

Quote:

usually with cornbread as it is gluten free. My challenge is getting the cornbread right without buttermilk LOL.

We never used buttermilk - we use an all-corn meal recipe, no wheat flour, no eggs, just a bit of unsweetened almond milk (though we have also made it with just water and it was okay - not 'sweet corn bread' by any means, just tastes like sweet corn - we grind popcorn to make the cornmeal fresh)

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 484 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org