21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Constipation
Created on: 09/08/12 11:48 AM Views: 1375 Replies: 6
Constipation
Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I have really enjoyed this kickstart plan. Only problem is I have been constipated for the last three days. Yesterday it was partially due to not enough water. Can I be ingesting too much fiber? Also, I have a gluten sensitivity. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Constipation
Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 12:15 PM

It is possible to eat more fiber than you are used to eating. The remedy to that is to cut back and ease your way into a high-fiber menu. However, that usually manifests as discomfort or gas. More water absolutely does help to flush out your digestive tract, so that's a fine remedy to getting things moving.

As for gluten, check out our menu and general resources here: http://pcrm.org/kickstartHome/mealplan/gluten_free_meal_plan.cfm and http://www.pcrm.org/kickstartHome/mealplan/food_allergies.cfm.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Make sure you're getting plenty of leafy greens, other veggies, and some fruit. I know that if I fall back to the easier stuff - whole grain pasta, other grains, etc. - I tend to slow things down a bit. And, if you're eating nuts/nut butters, cut them out as they can congest things as well.

--DebR

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM

So, too many carbohydrates, like rice and pasta cause constipation? I too am struggling with this...what are some of the best vegetables and fruits for constipation?

I even tried a lot of candied ginger, as I heard ginger helps too. But alas, no luck lol.

I thought fiber helped to solve the problem...but too much can cause constipation?

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Try adding ground flaxseed to your diet. Start off with a little, like 1 tsp sprinkled over your oatmeal, or in soup or salad, then gradually add a little more each day until you are up to maybe 1-2 Tbl. It is very good for you omega-wise, anti-cancer, and has very little taste, a little nutty. You can buy it ground, or buy the flaxseeds and grind in a coffee grinder, keep in the freezer.

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Ultimately, fiber is and will be the solution. But going from 10 grams per day to 40 grams can be a shocker for a digestive tract that is happy to stay inactive most of the time.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Susan Levin wrote:

Ultimately, fiber is and will be the solution. But going from 10 grams per day to 40 grams can be a shocker for a digestive tract that is happy to stay inactive most of the time.

Yeah, it's kinda like a train getting going - lots of bumps and such but once it gets up to speed, it moves along smoothly.

It even helps to back off the heavy fibers (like oats and other grains) and work with fruits and veggies as the 'bulk' of the fiber with just a smaller amount of grains. Have double the veggies and half the brown rice for a stir fry. Then work back up again to a full serving of rice (but still lots of veg)

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 150 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: blackcarl2

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org