21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Health and Weight
Created on: 04/12/12 01:38 PM Views: 3578 Replies: 19
Health and Weight
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I began Kickstart because of health concerns. Doing pretty good so far, only one meal that wasn't totally vegan (butter on the vegetable pasta) in the past 10 days.
Hoped I would lose some weight doing this, I haven't, in fact I have gained 2 pounds. Am I doing something wrong or is my body confused by the change?

I am not over eating, I could still eat more at each meal but have been able to say no more. My activity level is pretty much the same as it always has been.
Feeling better though and that is the important thing. Looking forward to my next check-up to see the improvements in cholesterol and such.

RE: Health and Weight
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM

It may take some time to adjust. Consider any possible sources of added fats you might be consuming (not just from animals). But if your diet is full of whole, plant foods, and you have some weight to lose, you should be seeing some results soon.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM

when I first went vegan didn't lose any weight at all. became rather jealous of others. after about 4-5 months pounds came off. hope this is encouraging.

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Maybe you are eating too much grains. Try to limit grains to 1 Cup a day. See if that helps. Good luck.

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Limiting whole grains (without added fats) isn't what is recommended for the Kickstart.

A good honest look at what you are eating and things added is what needs to happen.

Nutbutters? Nuts? Tofu? Avocado? Oil? Seeds? Olives? These are all reasonably good for you will but will stop or slow down a weight loss. However, if I add even small amounts I do not lose. At all. If I avoid them and other fats, I lose weight.

Eating till satisfied of whole grains and veggies is the best you can do.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 04/13/12 12:27 AM
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Stick with it, Gypsy. I started this program in January, down 25 pounds. And I feel great!

--Sandy

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Agree with Oceandog....I have to closely watch nits and oils. Those are pretty much the only foods I measure and count.

--Sandy

Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Gypsy wrote:

I began Kickstart because of health concerns. Doing pretty good so far, only one meal that wasn't totally vegan (butter on the vegetable pasta) in the past 10 days.
Hoped I would lose some weight doing this, I haven't, in fact I have gained 2 pounds. Am I doing something wrong or is my body confused by the change?

I am not over eating, I could still eat more at each meal but have been able to say no more. My activity level is pretty much the same as it always has been.
Feeling better though and that is the important thing. Looking forward to my next check-up to see the improvements in cholesterol and such.

Also, make sure you're getting plenty of water to help flush out the stuff that the added fiber wants to get moving. When you're adjusting to the higher fiber content, there's "stuff" in your gut that needs to go away. Lots of water and green stuff can really help. I know that if I 'skimp' on leafy greens I tend to feel a little 'gut full' and gain a little weight (or not lose weight). Add a nice big salad to lunch every day (for example) and keep an eye on how much water I'm getting and things move right along and my weight slowly starts dropping again.

--Deb R

Edited 04/13/12 8:35 AM
Posted Sunday, April 15, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Don't give up! I started the Kickstart on April 1 and have lost 6 lbs so far. I'm delighted with the results & feel great! I'm eating 3 meals a day- grains, beans, veggies & fruit plus one or two light snacks. The only thing I would add to the other comments is if you eat nuts, try to limit them to one small serving per day and make sure you get some kind of exercise each day. Drink lots of water! Good luck!

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Gypsy

Take a look at the "higher" fat content plant base food you are eating.

Nuts, Avocado and oil for cooking can add up pretty fast.

Dr. Barnard recommend 1oz of nuts a day that is about 1/4 cup) and not as a snack, that is what got me in trouble

also try to cook with vegetable broth instead of oil when sauteing veggies

Brigitte

Food Can Get You In Trouble or It Can Help You Thrive

www.WomenFoodCoach.com

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Appreciate all the encouragement and great advice, thank you.
Drinking a LOT of water, with fresh mint or a squeeze of some citrus fruit.
Have watched any fat obsessively because that is what led me to this site (underwent a heart cath looking for blockages, thank goodness none were found but it made the possibility very real).
I do eat nuts but I vary them day to day.
I have eaten a lot more bread than I normally do: black bean tacos, corn chips, sunflower butter on Ezekiel bread, etc. Perhaps that is the culprit, will be experimenting.
I have noticed that I am in the bathroom a good deal more than I was. No constipation at all. Think with all the output there would be some loss of weight Wink

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Gypsy wrote:

Appreciate all the encouragement and great advice, thank you.
Drinking a LOT of water, with fresh mint or a squeeze of some citrus fruit.
Have watched any fat obsessively because that is what led me to this site (underwent a heart cath looking for blockages, thank goodness none were found but it made the possibility very real).
I do eat nuts but I vary them day to day.
I have eaten a lot more bread than I normally do: black bean tacos, corn chips, sunflower butter on Ezekiel bread, etc. Perhaps that is the culprit, will be experimenting.
I have noticed that I am in the bathroom a good deal more than I was. No constipation at all. Think with all the output there would be some loss of weight Wink

If you're looking for weight loss, the nuts should become maybe a small sprinkle (1 oz) as a salad topper or similar 'condiment' (I like thinking of it that way, someone else posted the idea), not as a snack. Doesn't matter which nuts (how you vary them), nuts add fat to the day and if you're working to lose weight, they've gotta drop away. I notice that if I add nuts back in as snacks, I gain right away.
--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Nuts and nutbutters do me in as well. I have been helping mom with her cancer by cooking her macrobiotic meals. They don't eat a lot of the things I am used to eating, and I have taken to grabbing a handful of nuts during the day from hunger. My weightloss has stopped. As in screaching, fender smashing STOPPED! I am so bummed. I need to get back on it and get the rest of this weight off.

Darn!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Gypsy wrote:

Hi Gypsy!

Maybe this article will help:

6 reasons you might have gained weight on a plant-based diet when your goal is to lose weight

Thinking of you!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the last time I couldn't lose any weight, I ended up having ovarian cancer. And cancer is the reason I became vegan, then environmentalism. Yes, I tried different things to lose weight, and it never came off. Then when I went to the doctor, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and had surgery. I lost a lot of weight afterwards, then gained it back. I was not on a vegan diet yet, but adding more vegetables. I didn't really exercise during the chemo, but now I am clear of cancer and doing the vegan diet. Make sure you do not have a gynecological problem or cancer. Also, pay attention to what you are eating, and you will see the problems and then you can adjust. On another note, I have made some boo-boos on my diet-ate a nonvegan veggie burger, candy with gelatin(!), butter on bread, dressing with egg. Woops! I almost quit yesterday and wanted a burger, but today I went and bought a lot of vegan convenience foods and I think I'll be okay.

Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

People are individuals and react differently, but when you said you were eating a lot more grains, that may be the trigger for you (not everyone, though!).

In my experience as a Cancer Project instructor, some women do better at weight loss by keeping the grains to 2 - 3 servings/day and upping the beans and green vegetables. Beans have a lot of resistant starch which helps with weight loss plus they keep you feeling satisfied between meals. The green vegetables are low in calories but high in nutrients so you can eat all you want (no added fats, though).

You can experiment and see what works for you - keep us posted and good luck!

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 8:56 AM

As much as I like this vegan kickstart (day 19) I do think (for me at least) I need to forgive myself for an occasional "slip". If I have too many nuts one day, I scale back the next & go on. It's moderation in all things. I'm feeling great & have more energy than before so this way of eating is for me. I've lost 7 lbs as a bonus! Keeping a food journal has helped me also. That way I can track where I may need to cut back/adjust on certain foods on a daily basis. I'm enjoying this blog for ideas, tips, etc. Thanks, everyone!

Posted Friday, April 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Appreciated the link, Lani, it was helpful. As have been all the other posts, thank you everyone.
Have lost the 2 pounds I have gained Very Happy Have yet to figure out exactly why but I am grateful.
My weight problems may not all be diet related, on the bumpy road of menopause.

Posted Friday, April 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Gypsy wrote:

Appreciated the link, Lani, it was helpful. As have been all the other posts, thank you everyone.
Have lost the 2 pounds I have gained Very Happy Have yet to figure out exactly why but I am grateful.
My weight problems may not all be diet related, on the bumpy road of menopause.

Gypsy, thanks for the update. When we are so focused on change and desirous of results yesterday, it can take uber amounts of patience to see it through what is, in the big picture, actually a very short amount of time. Body weight can fluctuate 2 - 6 lbs on any given day! This is where it might be helpful to get a device that measures body composition, or just go the old-fashioned route with a scale and realize that weight is going to fluctuate. You can weigh a couple of times a week and graph it over time, and as long as you see the trend you are looking for, you can grow your confidence. That's what I did as I moved down that 50 lbs. I just charted it, watched it jump around, but at month's end, I'd see the drop.

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Friday, April 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

just go the old-fashioned route with a scale and realize that weight is going to fluctuate. You can weigh a couple of times a week and graph it over time, and as long as you see the trend you are looking for, you can grow your confidence. That's what I did as I moved down that 50 lbs. I just charted it, watched it jump around, but at month's end, I'd see the drop.

Lani

Yup, I just use the scale to see where I am trending - over the course of the last few days is it the same, up, down? So long as it is trending down for the most part, no problem. If it is trending up, why? Have I been snacking on nuts or just snacking in general more? Have I been keeping active? Was I sick, was it a holiday "special occasion" where I ate more than usual?

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 225 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org