21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Cilantro slump
Created on: 04/12/12 02:00 PM Views: 999 Replies: 4
Cilantro slump
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Any ideas how I could keep the store bought cilantro from wilting?
Tried wrapping in paper towels, in a glass of water and still it gets limp and unappetizing almost overnight.

RE: Cilantro slump
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM

It depends on your climate, but I have found a trick if you are in a dry area. Bunch it together by the stems and hang the bunch from a hook over the kitchen counter. It will gradually dry, and remain usable for weeks. It will wilt but in a why which is less damaging to it. Rinse it first, before tying up. I use a big twist tie because as it dries you will have to tighten the tie.

It also makes your kitchen look interesting.

It is too humid where I now live but I accidentally discovered that if I rinse it, shake it dry and spread it out on a large plate and put it in the fridge, it gradually dries in there. I guess the secret is not to bunch it up or it goes bad.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I had good luck with rinsing under cool water to remove dirt & debris. leave bundle attached. chop off bottom stems, place in a glass with water, when dry enough, place glass of water inside plastic produce bag, close with a binder clip and stick inside fridge, plastic bag keeps humidity in. change water every couple of days and toss out any stems that turn yellow or any leaves that are in glass. keeps for couple of weeks this way. method also good for parsley. not good for basil, basil hates the fridge.

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 3:26 PM

When I bring it from the store, I separate the end part of the stem and then keep the sorted bunch on to a paper towel to absorb any moisture. After that I wrap it in another clean, dry paper towel and store in the fridge. This way my cilantro remains fresh with minimum wilting.

It is easy to be mankind,
Difficult to be human
Striving to become human!

Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I use this http://www.prepara.com/kitchen-gadgets/herb-savor/ and happy with it

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 174 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: keresyk

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org