21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Day 3 What RU Eating?
Created on: 01/04/12 07:51 AM Views: 5927 Replies: 36
Day 3 What RU Eating?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Hi All
oh this is fun. how are you all doing? are you getting used to the foods? I remember back at my first kickstart.. right about this time.. i was eating everyting in sight that was vegan. .. it was like i was scared i couldn't feed myself, didn't know quite what to do, so i ate everything. some new flavorsto get used to.. reduced sugar...Really freaking out, wondering if i could do it.

so relax it gets better.

today is pretty boring for me.. same ole.. I think i will make some hoppin john when i get home tonight from work... change it up a bit. maybe make a stir fry too..

anyway.. today...
b-kashi cereal w/soy milk & bananna.
l-bowl of tofu, ginger,veggie & rice noodle soup..
d- stir fry?or maybe a homemade veggie burger & salad.

cch.

RE: Day 3 What RU Eating?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:31 AM

b: cereal and plant milk with vegan chocolate chips (I need something to wake me up since I don't drink coffee, and chocolate is just the ticket...yeah I know but still LOL...)
l: leftover veggie lasagna from a restaurant - I think it has parmesan in it but no other cheese. Really tasty with lots of variety in veg (carrot, yellow squash, spinach, roasted red pepper, etc)
d: not sure, Wednesday night is when we eat with our church congregation so it's whatever the chef du jour prepares. Sometimes it's possible to cobble together a vegan meal, sometimes folks have made separate vegan (or at least vegetarian) options (one time someone made a separate small pot of vegan chili because she knew I would prefer it!), and sometimes I just go with whatever is available in the smallest portion I can manage.
Snacks: apple, clementine, not sure what else if anything

We generally prepare the meal once every 6 or 8 weeks and those are totally vegan main dishes - last time we were up, we did spaghetti squash two ways - one with a tomato-herb sauce and one with a pumpkin-curry sauce.

Hmm I might just eat dinner before we leave tonight because I've got a meeting during the mealtime and it's easier to lead a meeting when not eating. I can maybe just grab a bit of salad to munch along with everyone else...

--Deb R

[Edited: lunch ended up being a salad - that's what I brought home, a nice dark leafy salad, not the lasagna. Added some multi grain crackers and an apple. Then had another clementine mid afternoon along with a handful of peanuts to round things out a bit, plus a cup of chamomile tea]

Edited 01/04/12 4:41 PM
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Hi everyone!
Excited to be on the 3rd day of the challenge - I am new to veganism and can't believe that I already feel better!

Breakfast: oatmeal with cinnamon and golden raisins
Lunch: big green salad with fresh peppers and mushrooms + cup of lentil soup

Dinner: not sure yet, either a veggie burger or leftover Hoppin' John

I brought fresh veggies and fruit to work today for a snack - the holiday leftover candy and cookies are out in full force
Shocked

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I just wolfed down a huge bowl of old fashion oatmeal with a handful of cranberries added. I'm stuffed. I'll probably cook some kale and red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes for lunch -

Which reminds me I need to marinate some mushrooms in low sodium Tamrai sauce. Probably have the same thing for dinner or maybe some brown Jasmin rice w/ frozen mixed veggies.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:23 AM

B - granola with vanilla soy milk + chocolate chips
L - Wholewheat bread with fried zucchini seasoned with lemon and marjoram + dijon mustard
D - probably some leftover soup. We'll see, I won't get home until 11 so maybe I'll just fall into bed

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Quote:

I brought fresh veggies and fruit to work today for a snack - the holiday leftover candy and cookies are out in full force

Keep your face full of the good stuff, I find that if I'm full of veggies and healthy snacks I can easily ignore the junk, but if I'm hungry... Twisted Evil

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Hi all. Not following the menus to a tee because my friend and I just did the 21 day challenge on our own with old menus. We are signed up for this challenge following the guidelines of the PCRM challenge.

B-Rudy's light rye toast (not the best choice but I was oatmealed out)

l- Black bean soup and brown rice
S-banana
D- I dont know yet.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Hi all. Not following the menus to a tee because my friend and I just did the 21 day challenge on our own with old menus. We are signed up for this challenge following the guidelines of the PCRM challenge.

S-banana
D- I dont know yet.

S-banana
D- I dont know yet.

Sorry for some reason it posted three times.

Edited 01/04/12 9:37 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I am kinda following the meal plan.
I am doing this minimally processed and gluten free.

B- leftover steelcut oatmeal and pumpkin puree with a banana and tea
S- apple and carrots or edamame
L- a nori burrito, probably brown rice, avocado, carrots, and lettuce
D- Homemade bean soup and leftover confetti quiona

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM

@ brittie....
do you like the confetti quinoa? i do!

@ surrealchereal
those mushrooms look delish! looks like you like them as much as i do.. thanks for the pictures...

@ curlz.. that looks like a menu i could eat...yum.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM

yes, couscous isn't gluten free but quinoa is. Since I had the plan recipes last time. I found a different recipe. This new recipe is awesome. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/healthy-and-delicious-confetti-quinoa-salad.html

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM

B: bagel/jam/coffee
L: wrap with black beans, cauliflower, edamame, lettuce, and cranberries/water
D: might do veggie burger or spaghetti marinara.

I am using the meal plan for ideas but I am a REALLY picky eater. So I am deviating a lot.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Hi all, great to be doing this kickstart! I've been vegetarian all my life (except a few times when I was younger, and tried some meat items most naiively and regretted it of course!!)

I'm planning on making the vegetable item for dinner, but I wanted to know is there anything else I can use in place of couscous? I have a kind of barley/cracked wheat item...not sure if it would come out the same, but I'd like to still use it. What do you guys think?

Thanks, and best of luck as we continue embracing vegan lifestyle Very Happy

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Breakfast - 2 cups of coffee with nondairy creamer and a little sugar, handful of cashews
Lunch - leftover collard greens, hoppin john, and half an orange
Dinner - not sure yet, maybe potato soup or might try the lentil soup. If time allows, might make a pot of both to eat from for a few days or freeze some for laterSmile

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Hello! Finally on the board, this is my first post Smile

B- Oatmeal with blueberries, walnuts, and a little honey
coffee with coconut creamer

L-Hummus sandwich with avocado, spinach, and red pepper strips and a cup of curried lentil soup

D- Probably left over Lentil or Mushroom Barley soup

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Hello! Finally on the board, this is my first post Smile

B- Oatmeal with blueberries, walnuts, and a little honey
coffee with coconut creamer

L-Hummus sandwich with avocado, spinach, and red pepper strips and a cup of curried lentil soup

D- Probably left over Lentil or Mushroom Barley soup

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I am horrible at planning meals but am trying to change that habit with the Kickstart.

B -- 2 slices sprouted wheat toast with apricot fruit spread; green smoothie

S -- grapes

L -- green salad with kidney beans; homemade vegetable soup

D- I'm planning on making a kale salad; quinoa with mushroom and greens. But we'll see; I may have leftover soup and quinoa instead if I get lazy.

S -- Mango or green apple; maybe air-popped popcorn.

That seems like a lot, but I like to eat smaller meals and more frequently. I think I'll still lose weight as long as I stay away from nuts and the like.

Andrea

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I have been doing this kickstart for some time now. I don't like the couscous confetti salad, and I don't like Amy's or McDougal's soups. I will be filling in the gaps with some recipes from Kickstart India. Today I am following the menu almost exactly... with the side salad instead of couscous.
B- Oatmeal with cinnamon (no apple)
L - Hummus and veggies on pita
S - Soy yogurt
D - Curried lentil soup is cooking now.

Life is a song worth singing.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 361 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Chrisann

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org