21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: What about the essential fats?
Created on: 01/04/12 09:53 AM Views: 1110 Replies: 8
What about the essential fats?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I joined the Kickstart to get more information about how to have a healthy vegan diet. I'm already underweight, and have all my life had a BMI < 17. I'm afraid that following the advice on cutting out the fat from my meals will make me loose even more, and thereby make me ill. I think it's a good tip to not fry in oil, since the oils properties change when it's heated, but to get the essential omega-3-acids and to keep my weight I add oil afterwords. Haven't measured my colestreol, but I guess having a BMI < 16 must be just as bad? Ofcourse adding oil to meals is not a good idea if you already have covered your need for calories and omega-3-acids.

I also thought fat was one of the macro-nutrients, along with protein and carbohydrats, that was essential to humans? Except for those who can be made out of carbohydrats?? Does anyone have more information about this? Is it really a good idea to avoid canola oil which is supposed to be rich in omega-3?

Sorry if my english is a bit clumsy, it's not my native languague.

RE: What about the essential fats?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Pir wrote:

I joined the Kickstart to get more information about how to have a healthy vegan diet. I'm already underweight, and have all my life had a BMI < 17. I'm afraid that following the advice on cutting out the fat from my meals will make me loose even more, and thereby make me ill. I think it's a good tip to not fry in oil, since the oils properties change when it's heated, but to get the essential omega-3-acids and to keep my weight I add oil afterwords. Haven't measured my colestreol, but I guess having a BMI < 16 must be just as bad? Ofcourse adding oil to meals is not a good idea if you already have covered your need for calories and omega-3-acids.

I also thought fat was one of the macro-nutrients, along with protein and carbohydrats, that was essential to humans? Except for those who can be made out of carbohydrats?? Does anyone have more information about this? Is it really a good idea to avoid canola oil which is supposed to be rich in omega-3?

Sorry if my english is a bit clumsy, it's not my native languague.

Pir, no problem with the language - your letter makes perfect sense!

A whole foods plant-based diet without added oils has all the essential oils you need. Flaxseeds and walnuts have good concentrations of omega 3 - as does non-GMO broccoli. There are many health problems associated with adding expelled oils to the diet.

Yet if you are looking to gain weight - or keep your weight up - on a plant-based diet, there are other ways to do it without compromising your health in the way that oils do.

Here are some suggestions:

Make the Following Changes in this Order to Regain Weight in a Healthful Manner

1) Eat more whole grain flour products like breads and bagels. Flour is more fattening than the whole grain because the change in physical properties that comes with milling causes faster and more complete absorption of the calories and a great rise in insulin response.

2) Eat more simple sugars in the form of fruits, dried fruits and fruit juices. This will cause a greater rise in insulin in your body.

3) Eat more high-fat plant foods, like nuts (and nut butters), seeds (and seed spreads), avocados, and olives. Fats are concentrated calories.

4) Add high-fat soy milks and tofu products. These are higher in fats.

5) Eat more high-fat soy foods. However, in general, these fake foods (like burgers, hot dogs, lunch meats, and cheeses) should be kept to a minimum because they are not very nutritious.

6) Eat more food – this is often difficult because most people already eat to the full satisfaction of their appetite. Making more delicious meals and taking more time to eat may help accomplish this.

7) Eat a greater variety of foods – new kinds of foods stimulate interest, which increases food intake.

Cool Add salt, sugar and favorite spices to the surface of your foods. If they taste better to you then you will eat more. Plus sugar adds calories (empty calories).

9) Use salad dressing, barbecue and steak sauces (made without oils and animal products) over your dishes to make them taste better so you eat more. Many sauces also contain simple sugars that provide calories and raise insulin levels.

10) Exercise daily yet if you are going training for hours each day, cutting back may help. We all know people who are exercise fanatics and they burn 3000 to 5000 extra calories a day – making it very difficult for them to eat enough food to fully replenish the expenditure. One simple way to gain more weight, and in some ways improve your overall health, may be to exercise more moderately.

This is adapted from a document from Dr. John McDougall and you can find the report in its entirety here:

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/030700puhowdoIgainweight.htm

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Go to the doctor and make sure you don't have a problem first. Why are you so thin? You shouldn't be thin if you eat enough.
Stop the oil, it damages the lining of your veins and arteries. Eat more. Yes, I know you think you can't eat more, but you can and it is just that simple. Eat more. Gradually you will stretch your stomach and it will get easier and you'll gain. If you don't have heart problems then eat more fatty plant foods but not the processed oils. Eat avocado and nuts in moderation. Eat before you go to bed, and when you get up in the morning. Eat something first thing in the morning and last thing at night, some little something and build up to more.

Edited 01/04/12 10:17 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I agree with you. I am also not looking to lose weight. I could lose a little I guess but ideally it wouldn't be good for me.

I'm not even a vegan beginner so what to recommend I couldn't even say.

I haven't heard much on pasta. Is pasta even a vegan thing?

I'm trying to keep my carbs high because carbs turn to sugars which turn to fats. Beer is a great source of carbs but don't get carried away. Breads and pastas too. Too keep nutrition going I add in veges and fruit. Beans, nuts, peanut butter, for protein.

~Diana~

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Yep pasta is a vegan thing. But not egg noodles. Just read the ingredients- sometimes it takes me forever in the grocery store- I read everything! Smile

http://www.pcrm.org/kickstartHome/messages/FatFoodCountdown.pdf

Edited 01/04/12 10:23 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Thanks alot for the ten tips.

Now it makes sence, to avoid processed oils, and not high fat vegetable food. I think eating enough is the problem, considered calori intake, my weight is normal. And my doctor don't think I'm to skinny, but ofcourse I shouldn't loose.

In my country it's normal to recommend skinny people to add processed oils to their food, especially canola oil (cold pressed), to gain weight, and GMO is forbidden by law. But maby it's because canola oil is the only oil that can be produced here so far north, and they want to sell it? We don't have much soy products either, most of them contain eggs, but it's getting better.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Wow, I wish GMO was forbidden in the US...

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Pir wrote:

Thanks alot for the ten tips.

Now it makes sence, to avoid processed oils, and not high fat vegetable food. I think eating enough is the problem, considered calori intake, my weight is normal. And my doctor don't think I'm to skinny, but ofcourse I shouldn't loose.

In my country it's normal to recommend skinny people to add processed oils to their food, especially canola oil (cold pressed), to gain weight, and GMO is forbidden by law. But maby it's because canola oil is the only oil that can be produced here so far north, and they want to sell it? We don't have much soy products either, most of them contain eggs, but it's getting better.

Pir, I think it is not uncommon for there to be a knee-jerk response to the weight situation by recommending more fats. It stems from the fact that they are so calorific! But it is an uninformed response, given all we now know about expelled oils.

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM

surrealchereal wrote:

Wow, I wish GMO was forbidden in the US...

You said it surrealchereal! Cool

Lani

Arrow facebook too

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 1120 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: schweitzer53, Susan Levin

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org