21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Nuts?
Created on: 01/04/12 12:34 PM Views: 1401 Replies: 6
Nuts?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I started on Jan. 2 for the first time ever, and have found the Kick Start program relatively easy to follow. I did think about incorporating nuts into my diet as a source of protein and healthy fats. However, I noticed that there is not much in the way of nuts in the menu or recipes suggested. Should I be avoiding ntus also?

RE: Nuts?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I too had a question concerning nuts - I think they'd be fine, I just assume so as they are all vegan. I am drinking coconut milk, in place of dairy and I personally hate soy milk lol. I am allergic to most tree nuts so I can't have almond milk...and rice milk is okay but kinda watery lol, just in my opinion!

I was curious to know if peanuts were considered nuts - I am pretty sure they're legumes and not 'tree nuts' of course, but are they still considered a part of that same category, nuts in the culinary sense?

ALso, is it okay to eat raw peanuts? I try to avoid salted peanuts b/c those are SO addictive! And peanut butter is also very addictive and full of sugars, added salt, etc. So, I figured having raw peanuts was better...but not sure if it's very good for digestion.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

You may find this blurb about nuts and seeds useful from our Power Plate website: http://pcrm.org/health/diets/pplate/what-about-nuts-and-seeds. It sums up PCRM's general approach to including them in the diet.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM

nuts are vegan. they are also high in fat. the kickstart menu is designed to be low in fat (there's also not much in the way of avocado and such either - also contains more fat). Some folks do add a bit of nuts into the mix - I use almond milk on my cereal and in any baking/cooking that would use milk (soy milk and I don't get along). For those who are trying to reduce fat, weight, etc. cutting the nuts makes sense. For some who really need to maintain or ADD weight or have issues with getting adequate protein (for example, folks who cannot eat beans of any form), then adding nuts might be a good thing.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I thought raw peanuts was toxic?

Anyways you can just put them in the oven at 150 degrees celcius (sorry, guess you have to convert to Fahrenheit) for 30 minutes and you won't get ill! No salt or oil need to be added. AND! If you put them in the foodprocessor afterwords you will get sugar-, salt- and unhealthy fat-free peanutbutter. But it can take up to 10 minutes for it to become butter. And it is really tasty.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Thanks for the valuable feedback. I expected that nuts woudl be "allowed" but not highly encouraged because of the fat content. This may turn out to be my major challenge with the jumpstart! I will continue to have some nuts (and avocado!) but control the portions.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM

It depends also on your goals here. If it going vegan with no worries about weight loss, then nuts, seeds, nut butters in moderation would be fine.

I watch my weight and I can watch it climb steadily (and quickly) up when I add them in. If I need to lose weight, I have to cut them and ALL oils completely out. To include avocado and tofu. My body loves to hang on to its weight, and I don't believe this is typical for most. I just seem to be resistant to weight loss!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 1301 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: brittasmom

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org