21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: sodas, regular and diet?
Created on: 01/04/12 12:54 PM Views: 2667 Replies: 12
sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Hi all,
I guess sodas fit into the 'vegan' junk food category, as they obviously aren't dairy but they aren't the best things to drink.

I've heard constantly that diet sodas lead to more weight gain than regular, how could this be..since diet sodas don't have the sugar that regular ones do?

Are you all stopping sodas as well during this kickstart?

Just curious to know! Thanks =)

RE: sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I haven't had soda for a very long time, maybe decades. Once you are away from it, it feels like a corrosive liquid, seriously!

If you are a habitual user, diet or otherwise, you may want to consider weaning yourself off rather than cold turkey as you may be addicted to the caffeine or some other part of it.

Irene of the movie MEET IRENE an Unlikely vegan quite candy bars and things of that nature when she did the kickstart, and had headaches for several days. If you are interested in the vegan lifestyle for health reasons, along with the many other good reasons people have, you will be very glad if you kick this habit too.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

www
RE: sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

LovesKittens wrote:

Hi all,
I guess sodas fit into the 'vegan' junk food category, as they obviously aren't dairy but they aren't the best things to drink.

I've heard constantly that diet sodas lead to more weight gain than regular, how could this be..since diet sodas don't have the sugar that regular ones do?

Are you all stopping sodas as well during this kickstart?

Just curious to know! Thanks =)


LOL we quit sodas years ago because of the sodium, caffeine, and sugars (especially HFCS). If we want bubbles, we'll have seltzer with a twist. During the holiday season, hubby actually drank about half a glass of regular soda then went back to drinking plain water - the soda made him very uncomfortable very quickly.

Also, since refined sugar is often processed using bone char (animal product), many vegans consider it "not vegan". That's up to the individual.

The apparent issue with diet sodas is that it tricks the body into reacting in a way that causes it to hold onto calories - not just in the soda but in general - so if you eat a bowl of veggie chili and have a diet soda with it, you'll hold onto more of the calories over all than if you just drank soda (which has actual sugar in it, some of them do actually exist). The body knows how to handle sugar, it's not so good at figuring out the artificial stuff, which I think gets metabolized more like a medication/drug - through the liver, which also handles glucose. But I'm no doctor and don't even play one on TV so I'm not one to give all the ins and outs on that.

--Deb R

RE: sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Research linking diet sodas to weight gain is not conclusive. Some observational studies show a connection, but it could be as distant as people who order diet cokes also tend to be standing in line at McDonald's ordering a cheeseburger and french fries to go with it. Some theorize that artificial sweeteners confuse your internal nutrition regulator which leads to cravings for sweeter foods than you would otherwise desire.

What we do know for sure is that these drinks are not natural. And remember - the only liquid your body needs is water.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Edited 01/04/12 1:42 PM
RE: sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Susan Levin wrote:

Research linking diet sodas to weight gain is not conclusive. Some observational studies show a connection, but it could be as distant as people who order diet cokes also tend to be standing in line at McDonald's ordering a cheeseburger and french fries to go with it. Some theorize that artificial sweeteners confuse your internal nutrition regulator which leads to cravings for sweeter foods than you would otherwise desire.

What we do know for sure is that these drinks are not natural. And remember - the only liquid your body needs is water.

Yeah, it could be the old "I'll have a banana split but hold the cherry, I'm on a diet" routine. Some folks think that simply adding a food or two that have 'diet' in the name offsets everything else (the double cheeseburger, large fries, donut, box of cookies, etc) that they've eaten. My MIL drinks diet soda because regular soda is too sweet (after years of diet soda) but to drink "just water" isn't enough (not to mention rum & water is not a festive tasty party beverage, but rum & diet coke is fine). Even though she can SEE the difference it's made in her own son (hubby has lost a bunch of weight over the past few years), she's gotta have the soda (diet) and everything else.

--Deb R

RE: sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

But Deb R... have you not tried Rum and Water in the form of Ice?

I did live in Cuba for six years, so I may have developed special skills, but since I don't seem to be able to drink much at all lately I shouldn't brag!

Seriously though, Thanks to Susan for her response. I think we could use the pros to keep us on track now and then, and thanks to Deb R for her humour.

Smile madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

www
RE: sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

gryphonpro wrote:

But Deb R... have you not tried Rum and Water in the form of Ice?

I did live in Cuba for six years, so I may have developed special skills, but since I don't seem to be able to drink much at all lately I shouldn't brag!

Seriously though, Thanks to Susan for her response. I think we could use the pros to keep us on track now and then, and thanks to Deb R for her humour.

Smile madeline

ah yes cubes in the rum might indeed work but her recipe is rum, diet coke AND cubes - to leave out the diet coke would be unthinkable (and to leave the rum out one shudders to think Laughing ) Plain water? good heavens!

--Deb R

RE: sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I too gave up soda decades ago! I also agree it feels like I am drinking some kind of corrosive cleaner when I have had a sip in the past.

I had nothing but good things happen to me when I kicked that habit.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

RE: sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Gosh and I always think im doing the right think when I go out (once in a blue moon) drink diet coke...

I always knew it, not going to be so ignorant anymore!!!

RE: sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM

No - I definitely realize all sodas are out of the question for me! I think a big challenge is letting go of vegan 'junk food.' I tend to think like...a slurpee or soda is fine since hey,it's vegan...but the sugar and phosphoric acids are not worth it!

So what are some good alternatives when you crave soda?

RE: sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM

On day 4 here. I cut sodas cold turkey and have headaches lasting all day. When is it gonna end? I want to get sodas out of my system, so enduring with some tylenol. I just know I'll be glad later on that I did this and want it out of my system sooner than later thus going cold turkey. ouch.

RE: sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 6:18 AM

I suspect it may be the caffeine withdrawal. You could try drinking green tea, unless getting caffeine completely out is the goal (a worthy goal).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: sodas, regular and diet?
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I have a little relief today thank goodness, so it is getting better. Still a slight headache in the late afternoon, but less intense.
Day 5. Very Happy


New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 329 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org