21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: weight loss questions
Created on: 01/04/12 04:23 PM Views: 1033 Replies: 3
weight loss questions
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM

As of day 3, I've already lost 5 pounds! Is it typical to start dropping pounds pretty quickly on the kickstart? Not that I'm complaining, weight loss is the main reason for me signing up and I just want to be healthier and make some lifestyle changes that I can stick to.

I'm enjoying the food so far and eating plenty so I think I'm doing fine nutritionally speaking, probably way better than usual. I'm also a nursing mother so that's probably going to make me drop the pounds a bit faster too. I will try to track my calories daily just to make sure I'm in a good range but so far they've been spot on, not too high or too low.

I'm so excited to be doing this, I tried once before but got off track and quit, so this is going to be the start of something good for me.

RE: weight loss questions
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Some people do drop weight quickly, others more slowly. Lots of variables - what you were eating bfore, metabolism, exercise, other factors (such as nursing). The main thing, though, is that it's healthy and maintainable/sustainable.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Wow! I was going to caution about too much weight loss, but you are a nursing mother which is such an incredible calorie burner. If you are eating plenty and don't feel hungry, then I would say you are doing great.

A quick write-up you might like from Reed Mangels, PhD, RD, an expert in the field of pregnancy and lactation for vegan moms: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/veganpregnancy.htm#lactation.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Thanks for the reference, very helpful info Very Happy I'm making sure I get enough calories to maintain my milk supply, no less than 1600 a day, but I am usually eating around 1800 or a bit more every day. I am definitely going to maintain it this time because I've been wanting to do a vegetarian diet and have had problems falling back on bad habits in the past. I feel like its the best thing I can do for my healthSmile

So anyone else with weight loss goals here? My weight before starting the kickstart was 181.5. Today it was 176.4. My long term goal is 135. So my first mini goal will be to get in the 160s and then so on from there.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 726 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org