21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Snack Ideas?
Created on: 01/04/12 05:14 PM Views: 3252 Replies: 15
Snack Ideas?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I need snacks, I generally snack on nuts or vegan granola or fruit, but it's winter and most fruit isn't seasonal right now. I don't like soy yogart and the coconut milk option is so high in calories and sugar.

I was reading some other threads about moderating nuts and avocado (2 of my faves) to reduce fat intake.

Does anyone out there have some good snack ideas?

RE: Snack Ideas?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I have a batch of these in my freezer. Imagine, brownies made from black beans and oatmeal, with a little help from bananas. I find them a bit mucky so I keep them in the freezer and grab one when I want a snack. I eat one directly out of the freezer. It is like a fudge brownie frozen treat.

The recipe is from happyherbivore.com. It is a great site. The full version of the recipe, with pictures, is here:
http://happyherbivore.com/2009/05/vegan-blackbean-brownies/

They call them Low Fat Vegan Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies. They are really good, and make much more than the 9 servings the recipe quotes.

Black Bean Brownies Recipe

Dense, fudge-y and ultra-healthy, these brownies are a great alternative to traditional brownies! It's amazing how they taste like chocolate and fudge and not beans! Chef's Notes: Rolled oats run through the food processor may substituted for the instant oats. Use optional sugar if your bananas are still green and not very ripe.

Ingredients:
15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
2 whole bananas
? cup agave nectar
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup raw sugar (optional)
¼ cup instant oats
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8x8" pan and set aside. Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed. Stir in the oats and pour batter into the pan. Bake approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing. Chef's Note: if you find these brownies are too soft or too fudge-y, add another 1/4 cup oats or flour.

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I always take a bag stuffed with bite size carrots and sliced apples to work with me every day.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM

popcorn w/ nutritional yeast or salt & paprika
oatmeal w/ fruit or cereal w/ almond milk.
cauliflower poppers: http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeId=99541
Zucchini chips: http://thecopycatcook.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/baked-zucchini-chips/
Hummus and pita chips
salsa and pita chips
frozen bars or coconut ice cream from http://coconutbliss.com/ <---YUM
fruit salad: pear, clementine, apple, grapes, banana etc.
Dip berries in dairy-free yogurt and freeze.
Tea or coffee w/ a little agave and vanilla almond milk

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 7:06 PM

This is an expensive snack but I like Acai Organic Sorbet with sliced Banana's and shelled hemp seeds

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Oh ya, and if I want a sinful snack I have this.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Since it is easy to find the vegan junk food, i assume you are asking healthy???
Maybe not...
plain chips
tortilla chips
salsa

make your own pico de-guy-o Laughing

hummus and veggies

a bowl of cereal (if you are hungry) or just eat the cereal if it is tasty. you get crunchy..

grapes!

a favorite..air pop popcorn..

mary's gone crackers (yep that is the brand)

a really really good one with no guilt.. nacho mom's ultimate vegan queso.. the best!! over anything..
it contains no cheese.. yum..

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Fruit or Popcorn with nutritional yeast.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM

which popcorn did you guys get (which brand)...I can't find the right one...always has cheese on...

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Hi Wen..
I was talking about whole kernal corn that you pop. There are bags already popped in the chip isle.. but like you said most all have either cheese or butter.

i think newman's own has a plain popcorn? maybe not. I don't buy it popped because 1)poppping it reminds me of my childhood and 2) it's fresh 3) i can have it MY way. 4) it's cheap!

although the advantage of an already popped bag is portion control.. take a small bowl and call it quits.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 7:19 AM

I put popcorn kernels in a paper lunch bag, close it tight, and microwave for about 3 minutes.

For another snack, have you tried kale chips?

I made them this weekend and used a sheet of parchment paper on top of the cookie sheet so I didn't need any oil.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Thanks for all the tips!! You all gave me some great ideas, I can't wait to go to the grocery store this weekend and stock up for week 2!

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM

cch22 wrote:

Hi Wen..
I was talking about whole kernal corn that you pop. There are bags already popped in the chip isle.. but like you said most all have either cheese or butter.

i think newman's own has a plain popcorn? maybe not. I don't buy it popped because 1)poppping it reminds me of my childhood and 2) it's fresh 3) i can have it MY way. 4) it's cheap!

although the advantage of an already popped bag is portion control.. take a small bowl and call it quits.

If you've got a grain mill, good quality popcorn makes the BEST corn meal for corn bread that is so sweet already it needs no added sweetener. Hubby found a vegan corn bread recipe that is also low fat (I think it uses applesauce) and it's YUMMY!

--Deb R

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Sometimes for a snack I have a small baked potato(microwaved), either plain or sprinkled with nutritional yeast flakes or salsa. Its quick to make and can be very filling and satisfying.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Boring I know, but sometimes just simple fruit is great to tide me over. Orange or two, an apple, I really like fruit cups with mixed berries.

They make many 'veggie' cheese slices too, and also sometimes - vegan chocolate! though personally I am odd and don't like chocolate - my mom loves the most bitter, darkest of all chocolates!

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I love wasabi peas! Because of their strong flavor a handful is plenty and I find them very satisfying.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 377 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org