21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Results confusing ?
Created on: 01/04/12 05:21 PM Views: 793 Replies: 2
Results confusing ?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I began the 21 day plan after hearing Dr Barnard lecture on Dec 3. I started in earnest Dec 5 and in less than a month my cholesterol dropped 30 points and I am in a smaller pant size...as great as that is my tryglicerides went UP 100 points!
I restarted the Kickstart with this group in January in the hopes of further dialing in my eating to get my tryglicerides down and expand/diversify my eating options. I am 100% committed to this but certainly would appreciate any advice.!

RE: Results confusing ?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM

spoiledatsea2 wrote:

I began the 21 day plan after hearing Dr Barnard lecture on Dec 3. I started in earnest Dec 5 and in less than a month my cholesterol dropped 30 points and I am in a smaller pant size...as great as that is my tryglicerides went UP 100 points!
I restarted the Kickstart with this group in January in the hopes of further dialing in my eating to get my tryglicerides down and expand/diversify my eating options. I am 100% committed to this but certainly would appreciate any advice.!

Get a second opinion from another doctor.

~Diana~

RE: Results confusing ?
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I've done a bit of research and found that triglycerides tend to increase in new vegans as cholesterol decreases. This also happened to my husband. Susan Levin may be able to clarify or correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that triglycerides are converted in the body from excess calories. Some are stored in the body as fat and approx 20% are converted by the liver into cholesterol. My husband decreased his intake of simple sugars such as sweets, processed vegan foods, and many (but not all) fruits and increased his intake of vegetables and grains. He also increased his exercise. The result was that his triglycerides decreased to normal levels. I'm not sure if this works for everyone, but he is happy with the results.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 130 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: chickadee, theodore

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org