21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: How to combine Locavore w/Vegan - Northern Climate
Created on: 01/04/12 05:40 PM Views: 2233 Replies: 15
How to combine Locavore w/Vegan - Northern Climate
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I guess I am becoming known locally as a vegan resource, but I have just been asked for help with something that I don't think I can do without help myself!

A local farm market committee is having a fundraising community dinner on February 4th to help support their new market. This is a group of people who are very dedicated to supporting local food production. There are even a few vegetarians involved.

They would normally have a vegetarian option, but really want to try to make that vegan this year. They are stumped because their vegetarian food is produced with local butter, milk and egg ingredients. They say they can figure out the eggs, but can't imagine how to make basic things like mashed potatoes without butter/milk, or something which is not local, like commercial vegan butter or even olive oil.

I am in a zone 5-6 agriculture region. That excludes things like bananas, and lots of other things we vegans use. Does anyone have good northern recipes for a cold winter day which only use local ingredients but are vegan? Recipes or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.
- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

RE: How to com
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM

soy milk works fine in mashed potatoes. actually better even. makes them more creamy and slightly sweet. What is wrong with butter?

~Diana~

Vege soup
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM

what about a vege soup made with local veges... Im guessing soy milk etc is commercial....

Northern Climate
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I think I can help you with this, exept I'm not sure what kind of veggies you have there ...

Do they grow chickpeas? Green peas? In our northern country we traditionally have a lot of green and yellow peas and onion. This makes good soup! You can put potato in the soup as well. Otherwise I like to make sweed and potato-mash, without fat. I just boil them and mash them and add som salt. And I think it taste good, though, I'm not from canada, so maby they woldn't like it. Again onions can be added for flavour.

If you can give me any more information about what type of veggies they grow, I may be able to help, I'm used to the cold climate and that nothing grows. Oh, do they have Almond potato? It's so great in any way!

I have some other tips for vegan preparation of root vegetables and maby peas if i look for it, since that's kind of the only veggies that grows here in Scandinavia. And I guess you are looking for those available in wintertime.

Northern Climate
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM

*swede (the vegetable)

RE: How to combine Locavore w/Vegan
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions.

We are not limited to what is growing now, since nothing is growing now Smile.

We do have onions, and lots of root vegetables, plus hardy veggies like cabbage, kale, chard, tomato if we are lucky that year, the fast growing things like herbs, lettuces, cucumber, radish, not very many beans except green and yellow string beans, although we do have limited crops of barley, wheat, oats,
and rye. Our corn tends to be animal feed quality. We also have berries. Our growing season is 14 weeks.

I had a suggestion for a water saute of onion and garlic over the potatoes which sounds like a good idea, and squash with local maple syrup, stewed apples with onions. Maybe we will have to come up with a no-meatloaf which uses a grain and a nut or seed we have here.

The soup is a "for sure", but they are looking for a full festive dinner. It is hard to come up with a vegan feast without beans, so it is the local part that has us stumped. Keep those ideas coming!

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Sounds like the climate is like here, although 14 weeks of growth season was very little. And you don't have the midnight-sun to help either. With winter vegetables I was reffering to those vegetables that can be stored so that they are available at winter. English can be very tricky when it comes to talking about sub-arctic conditions, I should know by now that I have to look it up not to get misunderstood ...

Something we often serve here is "swede-beef", meaning we fry a slice of swede, and serve as if it was beef. So you can serve it with some of the cabbage as salad, and potatoes and carrots beside, and with cranberry-jam. I guess you already know how much better oven baked root vegetables taste than if you cook them.

Also baked beetroot, and beetroot sause is great. And this beetroot ravioli is probably possible to make: http://veganmisjonen.blogspot.com/2011/08/oppskrift-rdbete-ravioli-beet.html

I have no idea what you should do with the beans, never seen anything like it. Is it not possible to grow yellow and green peas? Do they taste like green beans?

I guess you will have to use nuts and seeds as spices, but I think that will be good. Tomorrow I will make myself a good swede-beef, perhaps with hazelnut seasoning?? (I'm really glad I don't have to live on a local vegan diet in winter here. At least I would have prepared with a huge freezer!)

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Mushrooms? Do you have any? They are good seasoning and possibly sauce material, and the taste goes very well along with the root vegetables ... Just remembered I was drying like crazy this september, so that I would have through the winter ...

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 8:44 AM

we do a root veg "hash" often in winter - potato, sweet potato, turnip, parsnip, carrot, beets, onion, garlic (whatever combo we have handy). Steam/saute in a water and veg stock mix until the veg is tender (dice all veg into approx 1/2 inch cubes so they all cook fairly quickly. We do usually add a bean of some sort (black, white, pinto, garbanzo, whatever is already cooked and in the fridge at the time), not sure if that's okay for what you want to do. We use this as a main dish but it could work easily as a side.

We also did a root veg and green soup last week that was yummy - same random assortment of root veg, veg stock, and spinach (kale and chard would also work).

Squash with an apple stuffing (apples, grain, maybe some nuts if there are any local types - chestnuts or walnuts maybe?)

Something to check on also is to see what might be available locally canned - for instance, we put up green beans, salsa, several varieties of pickles, and some 'chow chow' (pickled vegetables - carrot, green bean, cauliflower, etc), as well as apple sauce. There may also be locally canned tomato sauces, jams, jellies. Even though it's not technically "seasonal" (tomatoes would be summer for instance), I would think that it would be okay since it was locally grown and produced (and a great way to get people thinking about buying MORE local produce during the season and canning it themselves for winter use).

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM

supercrazybitch wrote:

soy milk works fine in mashed potatoes. actually better even. makes them more creamy and slightly sweet. What is wrong with butter?

You mean besides that it's not vegan? Wink

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

You mean besides that it's not vegan? Wink--Deb R

Ya. What is wrong with butter?

~Diana~

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM

supercrazybitch wrote:

Bugsmom wrote:
You mean besides that it's not vegan? Wink--Deb R

Ya. What is wrong with butter?

Quote:

They would normally have a vegetarian option, but really want to try to make that vegan this year. They are stumped because their vegetarian food is produced with local butter, milk and egg ingredients. They say they can figure out the eggs, but can't imagine how to make basic things like mashed potatoes without butter/milk, or something which is not local, like commercial vegan butter or even olive oil.

Well, they wouldn't be having a vegan option as they are wanting to have, so that's one strike. Also, butter is basically just fat - better than some, but still all fat.

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

Also, butter is basically just fat - better than some, but still all fat.--Deb R

So, I guess I need some educating here. Vegan has no fat in it? Because removing fat from a diet is a bad thing.

Also foods contain oils in them such as corn, olives, soy, etc. By saying no fat is like a method for disaster.

~Diana~

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM

supercrazybitch wrote:

Bugsmom wrote:
Also, butter is basically just fat - better than some, but still all fat.--Deb R

So, I guess I need some educating here. Vegan has no fat in it? Because removing fat from a diet is a bad thing.

Also foods contain oils in them such as corn, olives, soy, etc. By saying no fat is like a method for disaster.

The Kickstart is low fat vegan. It's possible to be an unhealthy vegan - eating lots of fat, processed foods, high sodium foods, etc. Vegan has no BUTTER in it (it's an animal product). The Kickstart/PCRM plan is low fat vegan - 10% of less of calories from fat. It's not no-fat, it's just little added fat and not a lot of in-situ fat (the fat that resides inside foods naturally). Things like nuts are high in fat, so you'd want to go easy on them to reduce fat, even though they're vegan. Nuts, olives, avocado all contain a deal of fat, so those are go-slow foods on the kickstart. And there are some folks here who don't add any fat or eat any high-fat-containing foods. Even wheat (whole grain) has fat in it so it's nigh impossible to avoid fat totally but we're talking avoid ADDED fat (like putting butter in mashed potatoes) and minimize existing fat (like in avocado).

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

See the answer I got on my question in the thread: "what about the essential fats". They make it pretty clear that high fat vegetable food is not a problem if you're not trying to loose weight, it's the processed oils they want to exclude.

When it comes to the term vegan, it is defined by the vegan-society, and involves living without animal products (Avoiding it in make-up, clothes, shoes, furnituere and in food), a vegan diet is therefore the food that can be eaten by vegans, a diet free from animal products. Note that you are not a vegan if you wear wool or leather, but you may have a vegan diet. And you don't have to be healthy if you are vegan.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Pir wrote:

See the answer I got on my question in the thread: "what about the essential fats". They make it pretty clear that high fat vegetable food is not a problem if you're not trying to loose weight, it's the processed oils they want to exclude.

Or if you're a type 2 diabetic and want to minimize insulin resistance (Dr Barnard's research has shown a connection between fat intake and insulin resistance).

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 293 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org