21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Weight loss???
Created on: 04/13/12 11:19 AM Views: 2141 Replies: 9
Weight loss???
Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM

How long did it take for any of you to see any kind of weight loss? I'm 5'3", 142 lbs, and STUCK! I work out 4-5 times a week, eat right, and I stopped counting calories. I haven't gained, but I'm not losing anything either. So...am I just being impatient???

Nutrition: Makes a lot of sense, but not a lot of dollars!

RE: Weight loss???
Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM

So glad you asked that question, Cara. I'm in the same place. I started a plant based diet 6 mos ago and within two months had lost 10 pounds. Since then I've gained 8 back. I started this for weight loss so that's a big disappointment. However since starting, I viewed Forks Over Knives and then did the Engine 2 28 Days and now am sticking with it for health reasons. I will never go back but still I'd like to drop 10-12 lbs. Maybe I'm too old (74) and the metabolism is too slow.

Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I might suggest as a first step really scrutinizing what you are eating. Vegan is great, but stopping there could be problematic, especially with all of the new-fangled processed vegan foods. I always remind people to eliminate the oils as well. And if weight is an issue, skip the nuts too.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM

in addition to looking for added fats and watching the nuts and seeds, also keep an eye on all the vegan 'convenience foods' like soy based burger patties and such. All that processed stuff that makes for maybe an easier transition needs to be just that, a transition, and should be phased out, by and large, after you've gotten a handle on things and found alternate recipes for whole foods.

As the kickstart says, if you're hungry eat. But, I'd add, make sure you ARE hungry and not thirsty or snacking out of stress, boredom, etc. Before you grab a second helping or a snack, have a glass of water or a cup of herbal tea. If you're still actually hungry, aim for a piece of fruit or a leafy green salad. If you're thinking "I don't want fruit, I want crackers" then you may not actually be hungry. I read somewhere that a good test of whether it's actual hunger is if the thought of an apple is good. And, if you are actually needing food (Hungry), then have what seems good.

Leave the cooking/serving vessel on the kitchen counter, not on the table - having to get up to get seconds gives you enough time to consider if you're actually needing more food.

Most 'diet folks' say not to read or do other things when eating because you lose track of how much you've had. Which is true. However, I find that if I read while I eat, I'll get to the end of the food but not want to put down what I'm reading. That gives me enough time for my body to register whether it is full or not before I head for seconds.

And, if you were doing well and things have changed (lost weight/maintained a reasonable weight but now gaining), evaluate what has changed. Are you using more convenience foods? Are you falling back on lots of grains and less in the way of veggies (easy to do over the winter, for sure)?

--Deb R

Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Susan and Deb. I'm really not eating any convenience food. Or not much. Maybe once every 10 days we'll have an Amy's pizza or bean burrito or an Amy's veggie burger. Usually we eat plain unprocessed veggies, fruits, beans, grains, legumes.
I'm eating Rips bowl from Engine 2 for breakfast and I guess you would call that processed food although it's all whole grains and I substitute his Uncle Sams Cereal for a Nature's Path cereal of ancient grains. I think I should probably just switch to oatmeal. I do eat whole grain crackers and sprouted whole grain bread for toast or sandwiches, so I do begin to see I eat processed food, but none of those fake meats. I was eating a lot of raw almonds so I have banned them from the house now. A good thing in moderation but my eating of almonds was not in moderation.
I am working out hard three times a week. A half hour of personal training plus one hour of a lifetime fitness class--half hour of movement, then half an hour of different things--weights, bands, intervals, etc.
I'm also 74 so I know my metabolism has slowed down. I'll keep trying to eat less but it is a little discouraging as I thought I could dispense with the Weight Watcher way of weighing and measuring and writing down. Thanks for the help. Good luck to you, Cara.

Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Hello all. I started the Kickstart diet on January 17 and have lost 13 pounds. I am a mature pear-shaped woman who finds it easy to gain and hard to lose weight, so I am very pleased with the results. Not to mention, I prefer the food. My young adult son started a few days after me and has lost 17 pounds. So that's a family total of 30 pounds for two people. We think the dog is losing weight, too--no more handouts of cheddar cheese, yogurt, etc. Previously, our diet was largely but not strictly vegetarian. In my own case, my weight was likely attributable to almonds, avocados and too many dairy products, particularly cheese. I've found myself stuck at a particular weight for more than a week at a time over the past few weeks, but eventually, the pounds do drop off. I hope the same happens for you.

Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Pat- congrats to you on your weight loss, and to your son too! I have also been on the program since January, and having weight loss success. I feel great! I can't be more pleased with this program. It has been an adjustment, I was a steak and burger girl, but I have lost my taste for those. I wish you and your son continued success!

--Sandy

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Thank you, Sandy. Glad you are also experiencing the benefits. Yesterday, we watched the film Forks Over Knives--it provided a strong validation of this diet!

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM

It is also important to cook and saute with less oil

(this had been a problem for me, thinking olive oil is good so I will use more that I need)

I now use vegetable broth when I saute onion.

I make a big batch of broth in my pressure cooker and freeze it in 1 cup containers.

So I am always ready to saute or create something yummy

Food Can Get You In Trouble or It Can Help You Thrive

www.WomenFoodCoach.com

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I haven't weighed myself for a week now but I feel my clothes are looser Very Happy and my knees don't hurt as much. I didn't get to exercise much last week so that probably slowed down the weight loss, but it is important that we are cleansing our bodies (still missing the cheese though)

I have just read this rather strange diet trend and cannot believe what people put themselves through...

http://gma.yahoo.com/k-e-diet-brides-using-feeding-tubes-rapidly-080053646--abc-news-health.html

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 157 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org