21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Day 4 What RU Eating?
Created on: 01/05/12 07:38 AM Views: 3974 Replies: 21
Day 4 What RU Eating?
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Hi !
we got some inspiring answers yesterday. It seems most everyone is managing quite well.

Me.. maybe i will change it up today and have some oatmeal for breakfast.
Lunch is veggie, tofu,soup & salad w/just vinegar no oil
Dinner the other 1/2 of the sandwich from last night and maybe another small salad.

What is on your menu?

RE: Day 4 What RU Eating?
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 8:43 AM

B oats with almond milk and banana

L tofu stirfry

D Black bean burger (the one posted by someone from happy herbivore YUM) on a pita, side salad

snacks fruit, air popped popcorn

Kathy

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM

This is my favorite thing of the day. This is making the kickstart fun. I wish I joined the forums the first time.

B- green tea, banana, and pomegranate my oatmeal pancakes flopped Sad
L- homemade bean soup with a 1/2 cup of brown rice
S- Apple and carrots
D- leftover hoppin john

Edited 01/05/12 11:08 AM
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Hi all!!!

B = A mix of left over Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal and Chocolate Oatmeal (from Chocolate Covered Katie)

L = Jamie Eason's modified 3-Bean Chili (tofu instead of turkey) and lentil burger with hummus, tomato, spinach and sprouts on Udi's bread

S = Banana Bluebery smoothie with Pea Protein

D = Spinach salad with carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, sprouts and Gluten-free, dairy-free Mac 'n Cheese

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM

B: Apple/Cinnamon Oatmeal w/slice of whole-grain toast w/a smear of homemade pear butter.

L: Kale & White Bean Soup w/one-half small avocado.

D: Leftover Couscous Confetti Salad & small serving of leftover Carrot & Roasted Red Pepper soup.

I have pretty much been following their menu plan/recipes and have like everything except the Hoppin' John - that just isn't a favorite!

Snacks will be those Little Cuties!

Edited 01/05/12 1:57 PM
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM

B - Oat Cereal w/ Almond Milk

L - Salad/Veggies tossed with hummus as a dressing, and left over Black Beans & Rice

D - Very excited about this one - Mexican Squash and Barley soup with Pasilla Peppers (here's to hoping it turns out)

Snacks - Fruit and Veggies

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I seem to remember i didn't like the hoppin john much at the beginning. Now that i have been plant strong for over a year, I am wondering if my tastes have changed enough so i will like it?
The recipe does look good to me..

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I have pretty much been following their menu plan/recipes and have like everything except the Hoppin' John - that just isn't a favorite!

I modified it with Garbanzo beans instead of black-eyed peas as I am not a fan of black eyed peas.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

B: Leftover pitabread and hummus + banana and a glass of soy milk
L: Smoothie with berries and sesame-seeds
S: Big orange, apple, pear
D: Carrot soup with chickpeas (makes the soup creamy) and full grain bread
S: Cucumber and tomato with Hummus-dip. One handfull of almonds.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I thought I posted this earlier but I must have put it someplace else

B usual cereal with plant milk and vegan chocolate chips

L business lunch out, made some poor choices. I 'assumed' the lentil soup would be like we make it at home - wrong-o. It was beef stock based. The house salad was good, lots of chunky veggies and green leafies. of course, then I went and really went overboard with a small slice of their pumpkin cheesecake - so very wrong and now I'm feeling it!

D hubby's lovely veggie chili (black beans, diced tomato - canned, no salt or sugar, package of froz corn, package of froz bell peppers, diced butternut squash, onion, spices)

S clementine, apple

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

L business lunch out, made some poor choices. I 'assumed' the lentil soup would be like we make it at home - wrong-o. It was beef stock based.

I've done this so many times. I just can't imagine that people will put animal products in all this types of foods. Sometimes I see minced meat and I think "mmm. minched soy." Before I realize that I'm not at home and that it's probably not soy at all.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM

B. kashi blueberry cereal w/ almond milk
L. hummus on 1 piece rudi's bread
s. pear
D. confetti couscous salad, fieldroast hotdog & steamed kale

Edited 01/05/12 6:10 PM
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM

lisasays wrote:

B. kashi blueberry cereal w/ almond milk
L. hummus on 1 piece rudi's bread
s. pear
D. confetti couscous salad, fieldroast hotdog & steamed kale

Sounds great! Question: What is Rudi's and what is a fieldroast hotdog?

Thanks

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM

B I mixed up a batch of steel cut oats with currants, almond milk, blueberry, flax seed and bananas at the beginning of the week (since I have to slow cook it) and have been eating that for breakfast. Recipe from the Eat To Live book.

L Salad made with Swiss chard, romaine, carrots & radish with a home made dressing. (almond milk, sesame seeds, dates, raw cashew butter)

Curried Lentil Soup. Substituted brown rice mix for the couscous (since I can't do gluten)

D More of lunch, lol I've got a lot of soup left.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I have been using the kickstart menu as a guide to keep my meals varied which I wouldn't be doing if it wasn't for the kickstart. Yesterday's kickstart lunch included hummus...took me 3 different recipes but I found a hummus without tahini that I love. Its called Simply Hummus on page 272 of Julieanna Hever's "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition."(tahini has fat from sesame seeds)
I made a collard green wrap as Mrs. Esselstyn teaches in the Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease DVD. I spread the Simply Hummus on a big collard green leave and with some cucumber strips, red pepper slices, green onion, and halved cherry tomatoes, curled and cut it up. It was so good and filling!

Kickstart menu for dinner yesterday was curried lentil soup. Since I have made this in the past, tonight I made Chef Toni Fiore's Red Lentil Soup which she demonstrates in her cooking lessons on Dr. Neal Barnard's DVD, A New Approach to Nutrition for Diabetes. I didn't have any cayenne pepper but the soup was delicious!

Edited 01/05/12 7:47 PM
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM

veganer wrote:

I made a collard green wrap as Mrs. Esselstyn teaches

I need to try that, I've tried wraps with romaine, but collard greens are so much bigger, I bet they are easier to work with.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM

B - 7am- 2 X Whole meal toast with strawberry jam (not my usual choice, wasnt at home for brekky fast, def not feeling as good)

S- 9:45- handful red grapes

L - Stirfry from last night

S- not sure yet Razz

D - sanitariam roast (I will only have a thin slice, more for my partner, with roast sweet potato, and a vegan gravy

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Hey Team 21!

Breakfast: 7 - grain hot cereal, blueberries, and flax
Lunch: butternut lentil soup, whole grain bread
Snack: 2 mandarins and a chunk of japanese sweet potato
Dinner: Spinach and cabbage salad, pile of spaghetti squash with marinara sauce

Yums!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Hey Team 21!

Dinner: Spinach and cabbage salad, pile of spaghetti squash with marinara sauce

Arrow facebook too

this sounds so yum... how do you make spaghetti squash?

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I had this tonight for dinner, and wow was it delicious.
I hear it's better the 2nd day http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/12/curried-cauliflower-sweet-potato-soup.html

My friend told me that the Speedy Black Bean Burritos are great and I'm going to try those tomorrow for dinner.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 216 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: gamehen1, pamedallas

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org