21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Going Vegan with Kids
Created on: 01/05/12 08:07 AM Views: 656 Replies: 2
Going Vegan with Kids
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Hi. I just started this kickstart yesterday. I have 2 boys - ages 4 and 8. The older one is practically vegetarian already because he rarely likes any kind of meat. However, he LOVES eggs and dairy. The younger one loves meat but doesn't like eggs and dairy. So, I knew this would be an adjustment for both of them, but I didn't realize how hard they would make this for me/us. This morning, I made the apple cinnamon oatmeal thinking they would love it. (They both usually like the pre-sweetened instant oatmeals.) How wrong I was. They wouldn't touch it. I am also at a loss as to what to prepare in their lunch boxes for school. Any ideas on how I can make this transition easier on all of us? I'm feeling very overwhelmed and under-prepared. Sad

RE: Going Vegan with Kids
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 8:15 AM

There's a book vegan lunch box you could get from the library. My daughter thought it had some neat ideas in it (she's 13) and doesn't eat a lot of meat. She's a semi vegetarian.

You could try the soy yogurts out there. Some of them are really good. Even the ones made from coconut milk. Would they eat hummus? I know my kids grew up with the smart dogs even though they are a kind of a "processed" transition food, they were better than regular hot dogs and the only hot dogs I have ever bought their all the years are ones for them to fish with!!

How about blending up smoothies with tofu in them. No one can taste that and it makes it smooth and creamy. My kids also like black bean dips. Keep trying. I'm surprised they didn't like the oatmeal. My kids would eat the steel cuts with the unsweetened applesauce that comes in berry or other flavors by motts or one of those brands, no sugar in them at all. Good luck and keep trying.. My daughter still won't eat a lot of stuff, but I keep trying to get her some protein. She would live off carbs if she could.

Kathy

RE: Going Vegan with Kids
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

vegangirl65 wrote:

My daughter still won't eat a lot of stuff, but I keep trying to get her some protein. She would live off carbs if she could.

And they need to really - kids are growing so fast and burning calories so they need the carbs.

-Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 96 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org