21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: credibility
Created on: 01/05/12 09:47 AM Views: 1666 Replies: 10
credibility
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM

This is a 21 day tuneup for me. I am doing well, but I am surprised by the amount of oil and fat used in the recipes while at the same time there is encouragement to avoid their use on this program. you can't have it both ways and be credible....

RE: credibility
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:18 AM

PCRM's recipes should all be low-fat. Some of our celebrity recipes do not abide by our low-fat, therapeutic diet plan, and we encourage people to consider adjusting the high-fat ones accordingly.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:19 AM

where are you seeing the fat? The kickstart aims for at or under 10% of calories from fat - preferably naturally occuring, not added. Whole grains, for example, contain a little fat (after all, whole wheat should also contain wheat germ oil, right?) It's not designed to be 100% fat free - even if that was possible, it's not a great idea, our bodies need a small (small) amount of fat to run properly.

I just went and checked the Day 1 menu. If prepared as indicated and portioned according to the number of portions listed (8 or 10 or 4 or whatever), it comes out to around 1.75% of calories from fat - give or take since I didn't calculate in the fruit or toast for snacking which would increase the calories and slightly increase fat (depending on the bread used).

--Deb R

Edited 01/05/12 10:28 AM
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM

plant oils are the fat I see in the recipes. It is not good to eat concentrated plant fat.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM

HVANWINKLE wrote:

plant oils are the fat I see in the recipes. It is not good to eat concentrated plant fat.

are you seeing the amounts as well? No recipe used more than 1 tbl (in the day 1 menu) - and that makes 8 to 10 portions. Feel free to use other types of fat as you see fit - in general, it's used to keep things from sticking, so feel free to use spray on non stick stuff if you prefer.

Oh, and yeah, what Susan said (regarding recipes from non-PCRM sources)

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM

We haven't used oils for two years...I don't think they are where the healthy vegan wants to go... fat sneaks in to the diet without actually making a choice to use it. It is not needed. That is what the vegan doctors are reccomending. We did use it at first not knowing much and not as committed as we are now. We are aiming high otherwise we will not reach our goal of the best possible health.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

HVANWINKLE wrote:

We haven't used oils for two years...I don't think they are where the healthy vegan wants to go... fat sneaks in to the diet without actually making a choice to use it. It is not needed. That is what the vegan doctors are reccomending. We did use it at first not knowing much and not as committed as we are now. We are aiming high otherwise we will not reach our goal of the best possible health.

That's great - for you. Keep in mind that the kickstart is designed for those who have never been vegan and have no idea about either vegan or low fat eating. Going from the SAD level of fat intake to the kickstart level is often a big enough challenge for the average person that to totally remove it might totally put some people over the edge. For example, it's taken 3 kickstarts for my hubby to get used to water/broth sauteing instead of using oil in the pan. It's not a destination, it's a path, ever changing and adjusting. I've also noticed that I feel better in the dead of winter here in New England if I plan for a little fat in my diet over the months (not much every day but a little bit once a week or so). So, for me, to totally remove fats would make winter that much harder. I'd rather have a bit of avocado once or twice in January than feel dried out and exhausted all winter. KWIM?

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I hear you...I just want the best results for myself and those who try to convert.. many times they say they have gone vegan except for the fish, yogurt, etc. they still eat.. for some reason the "vegan diet" didn't work for them!

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM

HVANWINKLE wrote:

I hear you...I just want the best results for myself and those who try to convert.. many times they say they have gone vegan except for the fish, yogurt, etc. they still eat.. for some reason the "vegan diet" didn't work for them!

Yeah, like the first kickstart I did in 2010 - everything except one greek yogurt per day (all those good live cultures, right? Wink ) Until I had to choose between something else at the market and the yogurt. I figured I could wait a week and get it next time I shopped. A week became two became a month and now over a year without it.

Best results are great, but there is a great deal of leeway in there - it's a path not a destination.

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

[quote="HVANWINKLE"] I'd rather have a bit of avocado once or twice in January than feel dried out and exhausted all winter. KWIM?

--Deb R

Im just wondering, I have avocardo every day, its sort of the meat of my salad with garlic, extra virgin olive oil and lemon... why would you not have avocardo every da? I know it has fat but arent they good fats, and as long as your making sure its in the right quantity with exercise,water etc its totally healthy?????

Im newly Vegan, Ive always known about DEADLY dairy, but I spose waas to scared to just stop the small things (chocolate lol) but not totally vegan.

Im getting off the meat substitutes and going more and more raw every week. But from my research ive found that: fruit until noon, the salad I described for lunch and a well combined dinner, with snacks in between such as nuts etc...

I want to be as healthy as I can Smile

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 9:31 PM

As far as the avocado, and plant fats (not processed) part of this is moderation and part is purpose - fast weight loss?

If you are looking to boost weight loss the less the better. But small amounts of natural fat (avocado etc) for flavor etc are fine.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 398 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Augustinelive

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org