21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: vegan food sin confessions
Created on: 01/05/12 10:25 AM Views: 6756 Replies: 31
vegan food sin confessions
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Not a Catholic but confession might help...
my big vegan food sins are:

70%+ chocolate
avocados
nuts
hard candy
red licorce

even with those sinful eating habits I like to eat lots of servings of the right vegan foods.
by the way I feel great but still need to loose weight - wonder why?...

anybody else want to confess?

RE: vegan food sin confessions
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM

HVANWINKLE wrote:

Not a Catholic but confession might help...
my big vegan food sins are:

70%+ chocolate
avocados
nuts
hard candy
red licorce

even with those sinful eating habits I like to eat lots of servings of the right vegan foods.
by the way I feel great but still need to loose weight - wonder why?...

anybody else want to confess?

check the chocolate label - it might actually BE vegan. Higher percentage chocolates tend to also have less sugar and actually a wee dram of fiber (not enough to really count but more than mass-market sweets). I find that if I can have a small amount (1 inch square maybe) of good quality dark chocolate (vegan) I'm less likely to really fall hard for sweets in general (the kind that's not vegan or even really tasty, just sweet).

This time of year, it's a little easier for me to avoid avocado because it's so expensive, but I do include that (by conscious choice) maybe once every couple of months to get that "I'm eating creamy fat" feeling satisfied.

Nuts are a big downfall for me - there's nothing quite like munching a handful of peanuts (unsalted dry roasted at least) or crumbling a bit of pecans onto my oatmeal. That's something that adds on lbs way fast - I'm dealing with that right now because I used nuts as a 'fall back' during the holidays to keep away from stuff that's worse.

Never really go for red licorice (not even sure it's vegan - does it contain gelatin? maybe you have a vegan source for it).

Hard candy, I carry a couple of those red and white mints in my pocket or bag at all times - they're a go-to resource (easy to store, cheap, accessible) for dealing with sudden blood sugar drops.

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Bugsmom, hum...you have the same sins (mostly that I do)...are you overweight too?
I agree and justify like you do with your thoughts...
that's the problem, I think.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM

HVANWINKLE wrote:

Bugsmom, hum...you have the same sins (mostly that I do)...are you overweight too?
I agree and justify like you do with your thoughts...
that's the problem, I think.

Not as much as I was a few years ago, still have a little ways to go. I think that "justifying" is sometimes useful - as long as you are making a conscious choice about it, not just a default or fall back. Sometimes a little stumble is better than an all out crash. For example, during my very first kickstart, I didn't give up eating one greek yogurt per day - I liked it, it was convenient, it wasn't "awful" (since I'm vegan for health not animal concerns mainly), it had all that good live culture stuff. Having that to hold onto made the rest of moving toward vegan that much easier. That's now gone (haven't had any for over a year now).

I'm working on dropping the nuts back out again, I know that needs to happen NOW.

Chocolate is never going away totally, I know that for myself. So, I work at making each morsel 'count' as best as I can - good quality, small amounts. In fact, preferring the really good chocolate is a limiting factor in itself because it co$t$ more than the other stuff. For that matter, even my 13 yr old son (who can eat as he pleases, he's growing so fast that nothing 'sticks') prefers smaller amounts of good chocolate to huge bags of the other (he had the choice, for his Christmas stocking, of half a dozen or so organic vegan handmade Belgian chocolates or several pounds of the mass market items, equivalent costs, and he chose the Belgian chocolates). Just that wee bit of vegan chocolate (what are those squares, maybe an ounce? less? guess it depends on which brand and etc) a few times per week is actually helpful in keeping everything else in line.

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

avocado is a biggy for me!
guacamole!!!!!!!
I also discovered a 3 ingredient brownie recipe which is figs, almonds, and unsweetened cocoa. It definitely hits the spot but I feel so guilty eating them. Recently I started added coconut flakes onto them and they are to die for.

* 1 c Almonds
* 1 1/2-3/4 c Pitted Dates
* 3/4 c Raw Unsweetened Cocoa (or you can use Ghirardelli)

Edited 01/05/12 11:26 AM
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Baked vegan food.. cupcakes & cookies
CHIPS.. even if they are vegan
Dark Chocolate (vegan)
nuts, avacado in season.

Hey even if it's vegan, it is still a cupcake, cookie & chocolate!

I am about 10lbs overweight... i might choose to cut back on the junk food.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Nothing so yummy sounding...

it's Embarassed oh this is embarrassing.. it's Molly McButter Embarassed

There I said it.. Embarassed

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

my sin is snacking on bad carbs before dinner, I crave them, I have managed to stop myself, but on the 1st day of the diet, at a fair well drinks (had 1 single vodka lime and soda) then they had the snacks on the table, the ONLY thing I could eat was the hot chips, I knew I had a steaming curry ready at home, but I ended up eating nearly half the bowl, then to full for dinner Sad

Can some one please tell me the problem with avocardo? isnt it really good for you, its the only good fat in my diet atm (minus the hot chips... didnt happen, plus its the only ways ive persuaded my partner to have a sandwhich with no meat or cheese)

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

i'm with VeganPromise i don't understand the problem with avocado -- why is is not vegan? it's a plant isn't it? i also don't understand what the problem is with nuts -- why can't you have nuts? no nuts at all? no pistachios? no almonds or cashews? oh my.

i'm also curious to know what people do to stay committed and motivated? on this, day 4 of the 21-day ks, i have yet to have a completely, totally vegan day but i am still trying. the first day i thought i was too hungry to live, but that feeling of starvation has subsided. this morning my blood glucose was almost 100 points lower than yesterday morning so that was real motivating! what do other people do to stay vegan?

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

i'm with VeganPromise i don't understand the problem with avocado -- why is is not vegan? it's a plant isn't it? i also don't understand what the problem is with nuts -- why can't you have nuts? no nuts at all? no pistachios? no almonds or cashews? oh my.

i'm also curious to know what people do to stay committed and motivated? on this, day 4 of the 21-day ks, i have yet to have a completely, totally vegan day but i am still trying. the first day i thought i was too hungry to live, but that feeling of starvation has subsided. this morning my blood glucose was almost 100 points lower than yesterday morning so that was real motivating! what do other people do to stay vegan?

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I forward plan to stay Vegan.

Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks planned. other wise its easy to slip.

researching meals... Ive found my plan for a different theme every dinner time keeps it interesting.

So far ive had: indian (made a delicious curry), italian (knocci also yumm), mexican (my partner loved!), chinese (stitfry), tonight will be english (vege roast and roast sweet potato with vegan friendly gravy).

lunches: salads with chickpeas or beans (used to have Fetta omg i miss Fetta), wraps, HUMMUS is a life saver insted of mayo or cheese, soup, sandwhiches, next week Im going to MAKE sushi and ric epaper wraps

Breakfast: I ALWAYS have fruit until noon (read fit for life by harvey diamond to find out why)

snacks, nuts, raisons, carrot, camimile tea, rice cakes

I really struggled in previous years at being Vegan, but since 2nd January NOT ONE animal product has touched my lips, I NEARLYYY ate a chocolate then remembered i cant eat dairy milk chocolate

hope my suggestions help... I am trying to keep motivated to break my cravings especially when people at work bake cakes!!

ohhh on a good note, coles supermarkets sell VEGAN hot cross buns oh yehh (minimal of course)

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 9:33 PM

[quote="mellah124"]

i'm also curious to know what people do to stay committed and motivated? quote]

My 2 motivation are: my 4 chickens of which were rescued from a battery farm, for the many hundreds that cant be saved, and every human being who has cancer and disease (my dad recently had a stroke, hes ok though, my grandpa died last year of a heart attackt, and auntie dies a few years ago of cancer), I dont want that to happen to myself or any one I love. When I know Dairy and meat are a big factor, plus its bad for the animals and the environment I want it no more. So pretty big motivations when I just want that cheese pizza!!

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I have been vegetarian for 21+ years and more than 1/2 - 2/3?? of it vegan, full time vegan for a while now.

My motivation has been all over the board of reasons, from the animals, factory farming, environment, health, intolerance, etc. My commitment to forever vegan came with the death of a beloved pet.

My cheats (and they are all vegan just higher in fat) are all okay foods, I just have trouble losing weight but they are

* dark chocolate (though I prefer carbob, I cannot find a source that does not have barley malt in it and that is a no no as I cannot have gluten)

* Nuts/nut butters

* tofu

* avocado

* olives

Now all of those things are fine for a vegan diet, just not one that is as close to no fat as possible! Smile

My cravings for other things pretty much subsided years ago. After eating this way for a long time I did have a bite a few times of a tempting food only to find it did not taste the way I remembered. That took care of that.

Interstingly, I find it is the thought or smell of an old favorite that calls me more than the taste.

Hang in there, this will get easier and you will be grateful you did this!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Like oceandog my vegan sin foods are vegan by definition (no animal products) but too high fat or too processed to be really healthy. I also have a weight problem - the problem being that the weight goes on a lot easier and faster than it comes off.

Bread (I could live on bread)
Dark Chocolate
Happy herbivore recipe for chocolate chip cookies. When I really get a sugar craving (thankfully less now) I have been known to make a batch.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Kiwi - I used to love bread too, until Celiac Disease set in... now it makes me terribly sick! Sad that is a fast way to get over it!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

In response to those that wanted to know what was wrong with avocado and nuts, the answer is nothing!!! unless you want to lose weight. Certainly, they are vegan, and healthy in the right portions, but they are fat, albeit "healthy" fat. Remember, its not just about staying vegan, although that is a worthy goal...its about health, and for some, losing weight. So some of us that have been doing this for a while, may say we need to cut out, or eliminate foods that are hard for us to control, in order to meet our individual goals. It does not mean that those foods are not vegan, or even healthy, is other context.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM

brittie wrote:

avocado is a biggy for me!
guacamole!!!!!!!
I also discovered a 3 ingredient brownie recipe which is figs, almonds, and unsweetened cocoa. It definitely hits the spot but I feel so guilty eating them. Recently I started added coconut flakes onto them and they are to die for.

* 1 c Almonds
* 1 1/2-3/4 c Pitted Dates
* 3/4 c Raw Unsweetened Cocoa (or you can use Ghirardelli)

Okay, so do you just whir the ingredients in a food processor and then press into a pan or what? More details please! Wink

--Deb R

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

My sins are black gluten free licorice. And the last month I have been eating my GF oatmeal with chopped dates. I got addicted to pumpkin seeds too.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Hey all, I am reassured that others are struggling just as I am. I feel very good as a vegan, but hope to feel even better as I fine tune my diet.
Sugar and plant fat seem to be the core ingredients that attract me to over indulgence. I also do try to eat tons of veges, beans, and fruit to help subdue the sugar/fat cravings. I am commited to staying vegan for life. I havent figured out what happens in the nursing home when that time comes...quick death by western food, I suppose.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM

The nursing home scenario. Oh dear...

I never had children (who may have possibly agreed to look after me) so I will have to find a nursing home when the time comes that I cant manage on my own. I can say I have thought about that but not about the food side of it all. Yuck - I have seen what gets dished up. Heavy on the meat and lots of over-overcooked veggies.

Perhaps I need to start a nursing home that offers vegan food only with a vegan chef and keep the nicest room aside for when I need it. Or I could just move in now and enjoy the benefits of having a chef cook my meals for me. Very Happy :

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/08/12 7:24 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 276 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: pwood99

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org