21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: baking substitutes, etc
Created on: 01/05/12 12:53 PM Views: 2767 Replies: 7
baking substitutes, etc
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I am trying to convert a soft carrot cookie recipe to vegan- no eggs or egg whites.
Should I try making the cookies without a substitute? I already subbed out 1/2 of the oil with 1/2 pure applesauce. Thanks, bakers!
Confused

RE: baking substitutes, etc
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM

What are the ingredients you are looking to sub-out? I recently subbed silken tofu for butter and eggs for a frosting and cake recipe.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

There are tons of good substitutes for baking. My favorite substitute for butter & oil is Sunsweet Lighter Bake. I found it at our local grocery store in the baking section. It is made of fruit puree and I love that it has a substitution scale: ex: Recipe says - 1 cup oil use 1/2 cup Lighter bake. You can also use no sugar added apple sauce as a substitute for butter or oil. For eggs, I use 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed with 3 Tbsp water for each egg. Just mix the ground flaxseed and water with a fork and pour into batter. You can also use 2 Tbsp vegan corn starch for each egg.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Hi,
if you havent seen it yet the PCRM Ingredient substitution chart is really useful. I printed this out and laminated it so i can keep a copy in the kitchen for quick reference.

http://support.pcrm.org/site/DocServer/sustitution_chart_PCRM__3.pdf?docID=1301&autologin=true&AddInterest=1401

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

kandoo wrote:

There are tons of good substitutes for baking. My favorite substitute for butter & oil is Sunsweet Lighter Bake. I found it at our local grocery store in the baking section. It is made of fruit puree and I love that it has a substitution scale: ex: Recipe says - 1 cup oil use 1/2 cup Lighter bake. You can also use no sugar added apple sauce as a substitute for butter or oil. For eggs, I use 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed with 3 Tbsp water for each egg. Just mix the ground flaxseed and water with a fork and pour into batter. You can also use 2 Tbsp vegan corn starch for each egg.

2 tbl ground flaxseed plus 2 tbl water is what I usually use for 2 eggs, though there have been some recipes that needed the extra bit of water as well. Also, I try to use the golden flax if I'm making something (like cookies or yellow cake) where the dark flecks would be noticeable. We've used applesauce and/or mashed banana for fat replacement. It really depends on what outcome you want - using applesauce or banana can change the flavor a wee bit. Made some yummy vegan brownies last week using applesauce (homemade) but the slight apple flavor was noticeable - it was still super moist and fudgy so it wasn't a problem at all. Just sayin'...

Oh, also, something I've found useful is to find a vegan recipe to start with, even if it uses oil, and make it once to get a feel for the egg replacement issues. Then sub for the oil so I know when I've gotten the texture of the batter or dough correct. Piece by piece we've modified all sorts of recipes over time.

--Deb R

Edited 01/05/12 1:24 PM
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I baked them with out the 2 egg whites so they were vegan with the applesauce and almond dream [unsweetened]. The breakfast cookies held together! I will laminate the substitute list! Thanks for the infoSmile

I baked them with out the 2 egg whites so they were vegan with the applesauce and almond dream [unsweetened]. The breakfast cookies held together! I will laminate the substitute list! Thanks for the infoSmile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 917 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org