21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: help with fiber
Created on: 09/10/12 10:37 AM Views: 929 Replies: 6
help with fiber
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Hi guys,

Relating to another's posting on here with constipation...yup, definitely struggling with this lol. What are some good remedies, or foods/drinks, natural of course - to help with this?

I don't like the idea of laxatives or stool softeners, as I know the body can be dependent upon this. I thought vegetables would help, maybe I've been having too much low-fiber items? ( rice...noodles, today I had more bread than I normally have, like bread rolls with some lettuce/sprouts but the vegetable quantity was admittedly low while the 'carb' amount was more!)

Also, I drink a lot during the day but could it be that what I'm drinking is having a constipating effect? I'm having a lot of coconut milk, and coffee- learning to like it sweetened and black, without the milk. but yes - should I be having more fruit juices instead to combat this problem?

Thanks you guys =) Razz

Here's to a good week 2!

RE: help with fiber
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Quote:

I don't like the idea of laxatives or stool softeners, as I know the body can be dependent upon this. I thought vegetables would help, maybe I've been having too much low-fiber items? ( rice...noodles, today I had more bread than I normally have, like bread rolls with some lettuce/sprouts but the vegetable quantity was admittedly low while the 'carb' amount was more!)

I think you answered your own question there.

There is nothing wrong with carbs, if it comes in whole food... try to limit the processed food, including breads and pastas, just as you say.

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Make sure you're getting the fruit and leafy greens that are indicated in the menus - even if you're not following the menus specifically, be sure that you're getting a similar mix of foods. Oatmeal is a good one to help 'smooth out' things.

--DebR

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Until you get your balance figured out, there are natural fiber supplements, whisk in water, and drink FAST! Very Happy Just psyllium husks I believe.

At any rate, you need to drink fresh water. Lots of it. That will help as well.

If you get your liquids as coffee, coconut milk and juices you will not give your body the help it needs in flushing your system. Fruit juices are a treat only for me. Too much sugar.

I have tea in the morning and sometimes at night, the rest of the time it is filtered water with a wedge of lemon or lime.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM

oh, and lentils - they seem to help 'work things out' more umm comfortably than beans and such

--DebR

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

See my post under "constipation" on flaxseed Smile

Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM

cuteddybears wrote:

Hi guys,

Relating to another's posting on here with constipation...yup, definitely struggling with this lol. What are some good remedies, or foods/drinks, natural of course - to help with this?

Also, I drink a lot during the day but could it be that what I'm drinking is having a constipating effect? I'm having a lot of coconut milk, and coffee- learning to like it sweetened and black, without the milk. but yes - should I be having more fruit juices instead to combat this problem?

Thanks you guys =) Razz

Here's to a good week 2!

Hey cuteteddybears,

You may need to just give the changes a little bit of time. For some reason, a shift up in fiber and into whole foods has an 'immediate effect' - if you know what I mean - and for others, it just takes a little adjusting and things will soon start perking along.

I see flaxseed has been mentioned and I vote for that too as a way to hasten the transition process - in all senses of the word! Just a tsp. or 2 of fresh ground on your oatmeal.

Brown rice is another goodie - and might I recommend grabbing a nice big sweet carrot or two to gnaw on once or twice during the day, maybe while you are prepping a meal?

No need to up the fruit juice - as a matter of fact, juice is a highly processed food that gives you a calorie load without fiber. Research shows that when people have a glass of liquid calories before a meal, it has no impact on their meal satiation - it just adds to the calorie load! Something to consider.

So, how are things perking along today? Smile

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 221 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org