21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: What's wrong with coffee?
Created on: 01/05/12 11:01 PM Views: 3887 Replies: 18
What's wrong with coffee?
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Hi everyone.
This is my very first kickstart. No one in my family is interested in joining me - they even think I'm nuts - but I don't care. I'm really trying to stick to my guns but it's very hard with all this other stuff around in my face.

My question for today is - what's wrong with coffee? If I have it with plant milk and no sugar, why is it a problem? This is one thing I'm having trouble giving up.

I found a lovely hot cocoa recipe on nutrition.org - but they are even trying to convince people to move from the cocoa to carob powder. Again - why? what's wrong with pure cocoa?

Thanks!

RE: What's wrong with coffee?
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I don't see anything wrong with coffee as it is plant based. I am still drinking it and I adore my coffee. I will bet those that are against it are concerned about the effects of caffeine. Even decaf coffee still has some amount of caffeine

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 5:19 AM

People who avoid coffee and cocoa are avoiding it for reasons other than being vegan, at least that would be my thoughts. There are studies that say caffeine is bad for you, those that say it's good for you. Who knows?

I believe that I have to listen to my own body. If you have no ill effects from coffee or cocoa then you really have no reason to give up something you enjoy. Of course moderation is best, but listen to your body, if you're getting negative responses to either of those substances it may be time to look at it. If not, then I say enjoy.

Just my humble opinion!

Vikki ~

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Coffee is fine on the Kickstart. It does have caffeine (as does chocolate) which some people prefer not to consume. It's up to you.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:04 AM

I've still been having my coffee on kickstart. I have no ill effects from drinking it. I've been using either natural sugar or splenda in it and nondairy creamer. I was going to try so delicious brand but could only find hazelnut and I only like plain creamers, and I've only seen silk creamer in vanilla Sad I tried vanilla soymilk once but it didn't taste good in my coffee at all. Anyone have a better option for coffee creamer since I know nondairy creamer powder does still contain a small amount of milk products? Funny how they can call it nondairy isn't it...

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:14 AM

found this on the net.. a medical librarian posted it..

Short story: Drinking caffeinated coffee in the morning, on an empty stomach had negative effects on endothelial (the linings of blood vessels) function up to 1 hour after consumption. Blood pressure (systolic & diastolic) significantly increased, heart rate increased, and blood vessel dilation (known as flow- mediated dilation) significantly decreased by 22%.

This is not a study I wanted to hear about. I love my morning coffee, and I'm not very interested in giving it up. The good news: The negative effects did not occur with decaf! Keep the coffee taste--ditch the caffeine. I can live with that.

Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn tipped me off to this just published study in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 64:483-89, 2010 "Acute effects of coffee on endothelial function in healthy subjects," Buscemi, S. et al. Esselstyn doesn't drink coffee, so he was pretty delighted with the study results.

All 17 of the study subjects were perfectly healthy--in case you're wondering.

The subjects who drank decaf coffee actually showed a significant improvement in their blood vessel dilation (good news to me), and the authors speculate that this might be because of coffee's considerable antioxidant content. Polyphenols present in coffee are know to increase flow-mediated dilation.

But don't despair coffee lovers, even the authors aren't sure if the results of their study will support short or long-term detrimental cardiovascular effects.

http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/happy_healthy_long_life/coffee/

Edited 01/06/12 8:15 AM
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Very informative! Thanks!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM

For Heatherz, and others who want a plain non-flavored coffee creamer- try So Delicious coconut milk based coffee creamer in original. It is absolutely delicious and as close to half & half as you will ever find. Note, it is NOT coconut flavored. I have turned so many people on to this, most non-vegans that simply want a healthier alternative. It does come in flavors, vanilla and hazelnut, which are sweet, both I did not like, probably as I drink my coffee unsweetened. So make sure you get the plain, original flavor. It is available in some regular grocery stores, the base commissary, and most health food store.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Thank you Diane! I will definitely look for it. My Bi-Lo I usually shop at had the hazelnut so hopefully they will stock the regular soon. The closest health food store is almost an hour away so I need to go there only when I have quite a list to make it worth my trip.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Fran wrote:

I found a lovely hot cocoa recipe on nutrition.org - but they are even trying to convince people to move from the cocoa to carob powder. Again - why? what's wrong with pure cocoa?

Thanks!

OOh! Hot cocoa! Is it a 'real' hot cocoa (warm milk etc) or is it a 'mix' that you can just add water? I've been hunting for a good instant cocoa recipe for a year now - most of them use soymilk powder (which I have seen but I don't use soy milk at all - we don't get along well). For homemade (warm milk) type cocoa, we just subbed plant milk for the dairy and use the best ingredients we can get at the time (often it's raw sugar and raw cocoa powder with just a drizzle of organic, glycerin based, no alcohol, vanilla).

If it's an instant, non soy, recipe, can you maybe post a link for it? Pretty please? Very Happy

--Deb R

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Thank you all for the coffee info. I had been away from coffee for about 20 years then I tried some with a bit of cream about 5 years ago. OMG I got hooked. Well after ditching the milk thing I do 1 cup decaf coffee with a dab of unsweetened soy milk. I do drink tea too.Green decaf w/out anything. Then I'd have a black tea at lunch.
Any word on teas? I try to keep the caffeine to one a day as I start to vibrate.
Thanks.

Aleta
Create something everyday.

www email
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM

aleta wrote:

Thank you all for the coffee info. I had been away from coffee for about 20 years then I tried some with a bit of cream about 5 years ago. OMG I got hooked. Well after ditching the milk thing I do 1 cup decaf coffee with a dab of unsweetened soy milk. I do drink tea too.Green decaf w/out anything. Then I'd have a black tea at lunch.
Any word on teas? I try to keep the caffeine to one a day as I start to vibrate.
Thanks.

I love mocha (I'd use my fav instant cocoa and fill with decaf to make it here at work). Sometimes I'd have tea (with a little honey or agave and plant milk). But, then I started get weird fluctuations in my glucose readings (type 2 diabetes). Turns out that caffeine can, for some people, mess with blood sugar. So, I stick to only caffeine-less tea (chamomile, bengal spice, and such - no peppermint tea, messes with my stomach so I go with chamomile, same family, not as strong). I limit myself to one cup of cocoa per day (at most) since cocoa still has a little caffeine in it as well - I try to plan for the cocoa so I can balance everything else that day (like plan a mostly-salad type lunch then have a cup of cocoa in the afternoon).

--Deb R

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Here's the latest on the antioxidant content of tea from Dr. Greger: http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/better-than-green-tea/

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I am a HEAVY cream addict in my coffee. I switched to heavy cream to avoid having three or four creams in the fridge for different things. So I knew going into this thing that I was going to have problems in this area. The coconut milk is alright. It kinda tastes like lowfat milk in my coffee. I sometimes have a hard time finding it as a creamer but I did find it in the specialty food section for Indian cooking. Its not labeled as creamer but its coconut milk. Just be careful you don't get that mostly sugar coconut milk for making pina coladas. I was tempted in using the powdered non dairy but after hearing what that small amount of milk derivative can do in regards to cancer, I am taking that mess back to the store! Also, I was told coffee has been shown to increase blood glucose levels. Still, my coffee is worth every drop.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 12:49 AM

If you go to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or even some regular supermarkets, you can find so many great teas - hot, iced, ready-made in bottles, that come in great flavours all vegan =) Also, you can buy some great chai concentrate and make your own chai which is so good. Just make sure it doesn't contain honey.

Starbucks chai doesn't contain honey btw, just learned that! So you can still find good vegan options at coffeeshops too.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Not trying to convert anyone to anything, but for those that feel this is important, I want to be very clear...the product I am recommending above is the following: So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk CREAMER. That is the front label and it is sold in pint cartons. The original (non-flavored version) does NOT taste like coconut. Per 1 TB. serving, it has 10 calories, 0 fat, 1 gm carb, 1gm sugar.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Sorry, meant to add that it is in the refrigerated section, not to be confused with the Soy creamer of the same brand, or the coconut milks sold in half gallon cartons, or the canned coconut milks and "creams" meant for cooking. This product is for coffee, and is also good in things calling for half-half or sauce recipes calling for milk, like a creamy sun-dried tomato-mushroom sauce for pasta.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Sorry, meant to add that it is in the refrigerated section, not to be confused with the Soy creamer of the same brand, or the coconut milks sold in half gallon cartons, or the canned coconut milks and "creams" meant for cooking. This product is for coffee, and is also good in things calling for half-half or sauce recipes calling for milk, like a creamy sun-dried tomato-mushroom sauce for pasta.

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM

recluse wrote:

Also, I was told coffee has been shown to increase blood glucose levels. Still, my coffee is worth every drop.

Alas, I've found this to be accurate for me and not just coffee, but also caffeinated teas - which is a bummer because when I stopped coffee (half and half plus sugar for me) I figured I could have tea with a bit of agave and plant milk. Nope, still messed with things. Sigh. So, it's straight up herbals for me (chamomile, bengal spice, the occasional 'other' variety like orange spice or cinnamon apple), just so long as it has no actual tea leaves involved (or, for that matter, no licorice included either - that raises glucose and blood pressure).

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 164 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org