21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Honey: in or out?
Created on: 01/05/12 11:09 PM Views: 622 Replies: 1
Honey: in or out?
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Hi guys, I'm not sure how honey is looked upon with regards to vegan or non-vegan. I seem to hear both sides...so what are your opinions? Being that it comes from bees, I assume its not vegan since...anything that comes from an animal is not in adhering with vegan philosophy...but at the same time, are bees harmed in the process?

I personally think honey is too sweet and i hate how it's sticky and gets on everything lol. Any ideas on substitutes? I tried looking for agave nectar today and couldn't find it, I wonder if they stop selling it =(

RE: Honey: in or out?
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 5:26 AM

I think this question comes up in every kick-start!!

If you are vegan for ethical reasons then honey is certainly out. If you are eating vegan for health reasons, many vegans here have a little honey now and then. It's really something you have to decide for yourself. If honey is the worse thing you consume you'll be doing very well health wise!!

As to whether or not the bees are harmed in the harvesting of honey, like a lot of things, you'll get arguments on both sides. Again, you just have to decide for yourself.

Have you tried pure maple syrup? I don't know what it is you're trying to sweeten but maple syrup can add sweetness and a good flavor.

Vikki ~

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 278 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: sarahthetraveller

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org