21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Honey: in or out?
Created on: 01/05/12 11:09 PM Views: 1254 Replies: 5
Honey: in or out?
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Hi guys, I'm not sure how honey is looked upon with regards to vegan or non-vegan. I seem to hear both sides...so what are your opinions? Being that it comes from bees, I assume its not vegan since...anything that comes from an animal is not in adhering with vegan philosophy...but at the same time, are bees harmed in the process?

I personally think honey is too sweet and i hate how it's sticky and gets on everything lol. Any ideas on substitutes? I tried looking for agave nectar today and couldn't find it, I wonder if they stop selling it =(

RE: Honey: in or out?
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM

For strict vegans its out. However, its your choice how strict you want to be. The following article is a good read. i got the reference from a previous kickstart.

http://www.veganoutreach.org/howvegan.html'

As for Agave, I used it for awhile then read about how its no better than High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFRC) which can be really bad for you. While the jury may be out on how true this is, I read enough to put me off. I put it in my personal vegan junk food category and made the decision to stay away. I havent missed it. If I do any baking I use natural unprocessed sugar or apple sauce depending on the recipe.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/06/12 12:38 AM
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM

have a look on www.peta.org to see the truth on making honey... quite sad and again humans exploiting what ever we can.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 6:16 AM

I use pure maple syrup as my main sweetener and sometimes molasses. Both of these tree nectars have vitamins and minerals, unlike sugar. But you don't want to over use any sweetener of course.

I also keep a jar of brown rice syrup around - it's more subtle, but I like it on toast.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I eat honey, but I know a local couple that are bee keepers, only have a few hives, and that is where we get our honey. I also use agave and maple syrup. I am now intrigued about the info mentioned about agave. I will have to do some research.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

We have honey on hand, don't use it much though. It's really good when my 13 yr old son gets really chapped lips - he doesn't like lip balms but a dab of honey really helps to soothe his lips. And, as someone mentioned, we get our honey from local sources. Some folks we know swear by local honey for helping with their seasonal allergies.

As was noted, honey is one of those 'borderline' things depending on how strictly vegan you choose to be.

As for agave, I haven't found the same issues with it, for me, as I get with HFCS. Not sure why, though I suspect it has something to do with the quantity involved - I'll use maybe a teaspoon in something I want to sweeten (like tea or whatever) while I have no idea how much is used commercially in products (if HFCS is 'no different than sugar' why can't consumers buy it for home use?), my guess is that it's way higher amounts. For baking, we use raw sugar most of the time, also real maple syrup, apple sauce, banana, and molasses. We used to use a lot more agave but we don't sweeten as much stuff now - trying to cut back on the 'vegan junk food' (which is where most of the sweetener we use would be - cookies, cakes, etc).

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 822 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org