21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Help... a few questions
Created on: 04/14/12 10:16 AM Views: 1901 Replies: 8
Help... a few questions
Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM

First, I have just discovered medjool dates, not a lot, just occasionally, chopped up, or filled with an almond, etc. as a little sweet snack. Can someone tell me long they last ? I put them in a plastic container with lid, in the frig. Weeks, months? How would you tell?

Also, same question with cooked brn. rice, and opened, refrig. container, half-gallon, of Almond milk. I am notorious for throwing out anything in the frig that is more than a day or two old, like leftovers, but I do not want to waste food. Sometimes it is just not obvious, though. Confused

Oh, and one more- I recently bought some very natural whole grain corn tortilla's- but when heated, they fell apart and kinda cracked when we tried to fill and "roll" them- can I heat them in the oven, flat, and use like tostada's? Thanks, all.

RE: Help... a few questions
Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Dates last weeks in the fridge but may dry out a bit. For longer term storage, you can freeze them for 18 months. I use them to blend into salad dressings or smoothies for a touch of sweetness.

Most cooked foods are good for about 5 days in the fridge - if you have more than five days worth of a recipe like a soup or a stew, it's a good idea to freeze some. With brown rice, you can make a big batch, then freeze it in individual portions to reheat later.

Nondairy milks typically last 7 - 10 days after opening. Often the package will give you the info.

Too bad about the tortillas falling apart, but yes, use them flat and just top them instead. Different brands behave differently, but in my experience all corn tortillas are harder to roll up than flour ones. I often just hold corn tortilla pieces in my hand and scoop or dip into the fillings.

Happy cooking Smile Jean

Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I was a skeptic regarding frozen brown rice, not any more. I cook up a huge batch and then freeze in meal size portions. What a time saver. You can get home from work, chop up veggies, whip up a sauce, nuke the rice and you're done.

Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I'm not sure about questions 2 and 3, DianeJ, but I know that Medjool dates will keep for several months. I bought some during the April 2011 Kickstart and they're still good.

Wash your back

Edited 04/14/12 7:21 PM
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 8:32 AM

DianeJ wrote:

I recently bought some very natural whole grain corn tortilla's- but when heated, they fell apart and kinda cracked when we tried to fill and "roll" them- can I heat them in the oven, flat, and use like tostada's? Thanks, all.

Try placing them between damp (not wet) paper towels on a plate in the microwave and nuke for just a short time - the damp paper towels help to retain moisture. However, corn tortillas in general don't roll as well - they're more often used flat or at most U shaped (tacos).

Most veg stuff (cooked rice, beans, quinoa, lentils, etc) will last a week in the fridge for sure. They don't have lots of the kinds of fats and proteins that get nasty really fast (the way something like beef would get). After several years of not having dairy milk in the house at all, it's really disgusting to see the film on the cups when others in the household (we've got a 'unique' situation right now) do drink milk. Blrh!

--Deb R

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I have started writing the date that I open my almond milk on the cap so I know how long it has been open in the fridge. That has really been a food saver for me because I would forget when I opened it and toss it just to be safe. I do the same thing with containers of vegetable broth.

Also, I have noticed that almond milk doesn't smell bad even when it is really old. I had a container that got shoved to the back of the fridge and was left for months. When I dumped it out, there was no bad smell at all, but the texture indicated it was bad (in addition to the age!). I don't use the smell test to determine if it is safe anymore Wink

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM

A great website to find out whether or not food should be thrown out is: www.stilltasty.com

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Thanks, all, for the tips. Very helpful. Smile

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I freeze grains often. If it looks like we won't be eating them within 3-4 days, I freeze it. It could go longer, but then it gives me some time to use it when defrosted.

I also freeze plant milks. Some I usually just use for cooking, and if I don't use them in a week or so, I freeze in ice cube trays or in containers with about 1 cup in them.

Dried fruits can keep for a long time. It is usually recommended to store in fridge or freezer. We go through raisins and date pieces so fast, I don't. I think I had some prunes go moldy on me though.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 436 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org