21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Looking for a Great Pizza Recipe
Created on: 04/14/12 11:10 AM Views: 1157 Replies: 6
Looking for a Great Pizza Recipe
Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 11:10 AM

My older two girls (ages 17 & 10.5) and I have been eating Vegan for a week now. My hubby and youngest are simi on board (cutting down meat dinners by 1/2) We ate pizza at least once or twice a week. Does anyone have a recipe thaey would like to pass on?
Thank you,
Cindy

RE: Looking for a Great Pizza Recipe
Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I usually use bread dough that I make in my bread maker then add a marinara sauce and tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini or whatever I have to put on it then sprinkle with a bit of nutritional yeast, you could most likely also use a vegan cheese. I've also tried Amy's frozen pizza - the one with no cheese and its delicious.

Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I have just got a King Arthur Flour catalog today and the pizzas on the cover looked yummy. It seems like this is the recipe http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/all-star-pizza-recipe but they

* got rid of the dough improver
* reduced the salt to 1 1/4 tsp
* reduced water to "1 cup + 2Tbsp to 1 1/4 cups" (9 to 10 oz.s)

Unfortunately this needs to be refrigerated for 4 hours.

The toppings suggested at the catalog (I am not writing the non-vegan suggestions)

* garlic oil, sauteed wild mushrooms, parmesan cheese (Gryphonpro suggested using a mixture of cashews, nutritional yeast and salt - I tried this combo using cashew butter and it was delicious)

* chopped onions, mushrooms and marinara

* garlic oil, shaved brussel sprouts, shallots and parmesan (I want to try these toppings)

* pesto ( this should go real nice with peppers http://www.nutritionmd.org/recipes/view.html?recipe_id=363) , roasted red peppers, sausage (http://pcrm.org/kickstartHome/forum/messages.cfm?threadid=A9B3B3EA-DC59-48CE-2BA55E682883AC0B)

Hope this helps

Edited 04/14/12 4:50 PM
Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Socca Pizza is the answer to my pizza dreams:

Socca pizza crust is made using garbanzo bean flour, essentially making a chickpea flatbread, ready to smother with all your favorite pizza toppings and goodies. To make socca pizza crust all you need is a hot oven and a cast iron skillet (and if you don’t have one you can use a round baking pan, small loaf pan, even a baking sheet)

Ingredients

1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
(also may add cumin, dried oregano, dried parsley, ground red pepper, nutritional yeast, onion powder, diced onion, minced garlic, black pepper, 1 teaspoon applesauce)

The trick to this crust is preheating a cast-iron skillet: Do it while the oven heats up---you want it screaming hot. That way, when you pour in the batter it immediately starts to sizzle, creating a nice, crusty bottom.

To make the batter, combine the garbanzo bean flour, water and seasonings in a bowl and wisk until thoroughly combined and smooth. The consistency should be a little bit looser than pancake batter. Put the batter into the refrigerator until ready to use - it can rest for a few minutes, an hour or even half a day). Spray a 8 inch cast iron skillet with a thin layer of olive oil cooking spray. Place the skillet in the oven and preheat the oven to 450-475°F for about 10 minutes. When the oven is preheated, remove hot skillet and pour the batter into the pan (add a little water if necessary so consistency is a little looser than pancake batter) . Bake for approx 10-20 minutes, until the top of the socca has started to lightly brown in places. Remove skillet from the oven, (if you want to, you can flip it over), add sauce/toppings (hummus, pesto, pizza sauce, vegetables, vegan cheese), and return to oven. Bake socca in the oven for 8-10 additional minutes, or until cheese has melted. (Alternatively, you could broil the pizza for 2-5 minutes.) Transfer to a plate, cut into four slices and serve!

The entire pizza crust recipe contains: 220 calories.

Here's another recipe:
http://www.thenondairyqueen.com/2011/05/socca-pizza-for-mothers-day.html

Posted Sunday, April 15, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Thanks, Randi, this sounds great! Very Happy

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM

THANK YOU everyone!!! I am excited to try these recipes.... Have a blessed day Very Happy

Edited 04/16/12 10:16 AM
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM

THANK YOU everyone!!! I am excited to try these recipes.... Have a blessed day Very Happy

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 779 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org