21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Kind of a funny question...
Created on: 01/06/12 03:41 AM Views: 3355 Replies: 14
Kind of a funny question...
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Eating a plant based diet is entirely new to me and my body is probably trying to adjust to all the fiber I am eating but I notice I have really bad gas! I was hoping it would go away after a few days, I have been using Beano but it doesn't really seem to help. I'm a nurse so I am able to joke around with my coworkers since we are used to dealing with normal bodily functions but this is beyond normal and embarrassing at times! Embarassed
I asked one of the doctors I work with about it and he said the gas should subside on it's own and it will just take some time. But, I expect you all would know more about this subject than most doctors since you have lived through it! Has anyone else had issues like this when they first began eating Vegan? Will it really go away?

RE: Kind of a funny question...
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 4:03 AM

For once I agree with the doctor you spoke to. In my expereince yes the gas does decrease once your body adjusts to the new way of eating usually after a couple of weeks. Although I have to say I still have times of lots of gas if I eat a lot of beans (everything in moderation). The good part is that the gas doesnt smell anything near as bad as it did when I was eating meat. Unless you are loud, many people wouldnt even notice as basically there is no smell to vegan gas Embarassed

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/06/12 4:07 AM
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Ditto! It will go away as long as you keep eating the same way. If you go back and forth, off and on, then it will return each time you go back to the high fiber, high veggie way of eating.

Vikki ~

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Yep - it will pass! Fiber is powerful stuff - a gut scrub brush and a blood detoxer. But if you are looking for some tips to help between now and when your body becomes a fiber machine, I would suggest smaller beans (lentils vs. kidney beans, for example), extra long soaking and double rinsing of dried beans, and cooking your vegetables (steamed broccoli vs. raw).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 7:52 AM

for me it really took months... but yes it is now MUCH better.
It was so bad at first we had no other alternative than to talk about it when we came home and make jokes between us about it.. who could tell the worst story?

i remember. ... working in the library.. someone needed help finding something to read... i was standing next to them.. they kept asking questions... it just kept building.. i did hold it... till they went away.. whew.. i was in the clear... so i slowly let it out.. hoping no noise..(library)... it was BAD.. then the same person came around the corner.. with ONE more question.. omg..
i very gently said i had work to do in another room.. as we walked away from that area..

anyone else want to share? ever had to stop the car and get out?

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM

It may be something specific still in the vegan diet. My wife is joining me to help narrow down some issues she is having. I suspect it was dairy, but there is a good chance it is garbanzo beans specifically. We'll continue the experiment for her.

Ask yourself if there is something new to your diet that really wasn't there before.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM

cch22 wrote:

i remember. ... working in the library.. someone needed help finding something to read... i was standing next to them.. they kept asking questions... it just kept building.. i did hold it... till they went away.. whew.. i was in the clear... so i slowly let it out.. hoping no noise..(library)... it was BAD.. then the same person came around the corner.. with ONE more question.. omg..
i very gently said i had work to do in another room.. as we walked away from that area..

I nearly spit my coffee across the room reading this one - hilarious!!

Surely someone has an elevator story, too! Laughing

Thanks for starting my Friday with a good chuckle.

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM

kiwi wrote:

Unless you are loud, many people wouldnt even notice as basically there is no smell to vegan gas Embarassed

This is so true.

The trouble is, when I point this out to people, they usually don't believe that I've passed gas. So I always have to make sure it's loud. In case there's any skeptics in the room.

Wash your back

Edited 01/06/12 11:29 AM
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Cynthia that was wonderful! What is it about this sort of thing that makes us all laugh like kids again??

I do have a couple of stories (both long sorry)

1. I used to be a manicurist in my home and I had 2 Boston Terriers that hung out with me in my "salon", some of you may know flat-faced dogs are notorious for noxious emissions. One morning a client came in and there was quickly, ahem, an odor. She immediately began complaining about my dogs. Here is the thing, my dogs were NOT in the room and it wasn't me! Very Happy She continued to complain and got down right nasty. After several minutes of this, my dogs came in the room. She stared at them and then she knew I knew! I thought she would apologize or laugh...nope. She began to complain about something else. Which may help explain why that was a very short lived career for me!

2. Here, Cynthia, is the elevator story. My sister is deaf and yearly we go to House Ear Institute in LA for an adjustment of her ABI (auditory brainstem implant). This one year as we were leaving we were waiting at the elevator with a lady and a gentleman, who were not together. The man starts whistling and puts his hands in his pockets and then slowly wanders a few feet away, whistling all the while, but was audibly, well, you know.. but he couldn't hear himself (deaf ya know)! The woman's face was pure horror! Which made my sister look at me to figure out what was going on! I was afraid to sign to her because I knew that the man would understand sign language! So I signed later and the elevator showed up. My sister and the man step right in and I decide to follow. The lady stands terror struck for several seconds, then made a dramatic sigh (gulp for air?) and got in. Later in the car (out of hearing range and sight) I explained what happened and my sister laughed for about 1/2 an hour!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Theodore you do make me laugh!

Okay I have one more... remember the noxious fumes Bostons?

One year, my step mom, daughter, BTs and I were driving South. Naturally not far into the journey we were all cracking windows and my daughter, Jess, was giggling in the back seat. My stepmom, Holly, not known for being soft spoken began in about my dogs (or anything else) complained, loudly. Jess laughing hysterically.

This was to be an 8-hour drive. Holly began suggesting vet apppointments, change in treats, food, dogs?? Jess giggling, snorting, chorteling, etc...

About 6 hours into it, Jess can't stand it and finally admits it has been her the entire time! (she had some sort of digestive issue that landed her in the hospital not long after)

So now it is a joke in our family that if you eat something you shouldn't, sit with my dogs!

I should mention that a simple diet change did nearly eliminate this problem with my dogs so BTs aren't to be avoided!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Oceandog wrote:

Theodore you do make me laugh!

It's really no laughing matter, Oceandog.

It can be quite upsetting when people don't believe that you've just passed some odorless vegan gas. It always makes me feel like Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park.

Love your stories, by the way.

Theodore xx

Wash your back

Edited 01/06/12 12:28 PM
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Theodore, glad you like the stories and am pleased you have found a, uhm, simple way to instill belief in others! tee hee

I am also pleased to see you posting, you have been strangely silent thus far on this kickstart.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

kimmyd82 wrote:

Eating a plant based diet is entirely new to me and my body is probably trying to adjust to all the fiber I am eating but I notice I have really bad gas! I was hoping it would go away after a few days, I have been using Beano but it doesn't really seem to help. I'm a nurse so I am able to joke around with my coworkers since we are used to dealing with normal bodily functions but this is beyond normal and embarrassing at times! Embarassed
I asked one of the doctors I work with about it and he said the gas should subside on it's own and it will just take some time. But, I expect you all would know more about this subject than most doctors since you have lived through it! Has anyone else had issues like this when they first began eating Vegan? Will it really go away?

Yes it will go away or at least change. It's kind of like when you have to turn off the water to get some plumbing work done in the house. Once you turn the water back on, you have to bleed the lines to get the air and sediment out before the water runs clear again. All the meat, dairy, processed foods that were fermenting in your gut are being stirred up and kicked out.

FWIW my hubby has to use a CPAP (constant positive air pressure) when he sleeps. He's had it for years, pre-vegetarian, pre-vegan. One of the side effects of a CPAP is that he wakes up with his digestive tract holding excess air. We have 'musical' mornings! Anyhow, this at least gives me some insight into the gaseous 'outcome' of changes in diet. I can tell whether he has had non-veg foods (like when we're in a social situation with no way out) - mornings are a bit more odiferous than if we've eaten our own usual foods. And, interestingly, our own usual foods include at least one meal including beans or lentils each day, sometimes more. For instance, it would not be unusual to have chili for lunch (leftovers, contains black beans typically) then have hummus and crackers as a snack (chickpeas) followed by lentils, rice and kale for dinner. Yet, the 'end' result of that is not nearly as pungent as the result of having one bowl of beef barley soup.

--Deb R

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM

cch22 wrote:

for me it really took months... but yes it is now MUCH better.
It was so bad at first we had no other alternative than to talk about it when we came home and make jokes between us about it.. who could tell the worst story?

anyone else want to share? ever had to stop the car and get out?

This had me cracking up! Thanks for the laugh. And thanks everyone else for the answers. Glad to know it will get better eventually because I don't plan on changing my diet anytime soon. I can't wait for the odorless gas! HAHA! Cause right now it's horrible!
Oceandog I also have a Boston Terrier mix and she can clear a room... Guess I can always just blame it on her!

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

kimmyd82 wrote:

Oceandog I also have a Boston Terrier mix and she can clear a room... Guess I can always just blame it on her!

Yes, my poor babies have been unjustly blamed (as you can see) many times!

Until I figured out the diet trigger (beef), it was eye watering and gagging! It was so bad (obviously by the stories above) that my sister bought an air freshener for me one year that looked a mini fire extinguisher and it was for "poodle poots" "boxer blasts" etc... it was really funny!

Just remember if your sweet girl gets the blame, it requires a reward (just not the noxious emissions type!) For Tinker her biggest reward was a game of Frisbie!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 140 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org