21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: I'm gaining weight!
Created on: 01/06/12 07:54 AM Views: 1971 Replies: 4
I'm gaining weight!
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM

What am I doing wrong? I have gained weight, 2 lbs this week. I didn't find anything on serving sizes. When on South Beach I wasn't allowed starches and only one gain a day. Are there serving sizes? I'm missing something I should be doing.

RE: I'm gaining weight!
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM

This is tricky for many people. I can only answer what happens for me. I am a longtime vegetarian/vegan and here is what I have found.

If I eat whole grains, whole vegetable and fruits (read non processed, non packaged foods) and do NOT add oils, avocado, olives, nuts, seeds, etc.. the weight comes slowly steadily off. I have such a hard time losing weight I even had to lay off tofu and edamame.

Dr. McDougall has a book called Maximum Weight Loss that addresses this, with recipes. I find his recipes to be too high in spices and peppers so I have taken the basic principles and make my own meals. I also take other recipes I like and omit or sub higher fat foods.

I do not worry about portion control IF I am eating this way. I add in a few higher fat foods and I gain or stop losing. Basically it is very simple and this is what works for me.

Best wishes!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 01/06/12 11:57 AM
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM

DITTO what Oceandog said. McDougall MWL is the best.

Vikki ~

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

ReginaGrace wrote:

What am I doing wrong? I have gained weight, 2 lbs this week. I didn't find anything on serving sizes. When on South Beach I wasn't allowed starches and only one gain a day. Are there serving sizes? I'm missing something I should be doing.

ReginaGrace,

Excellent recommends from Oceandog and Wild About Stars. And my top recommend is the same as theirs, Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss.

As for a little gain at the beginning, if not due to the higher fat foods as Ocean suggests, here are some additional insights that may help you.

This happened to me as well. Actually, I gained 2 lbs in the first month. And this was after decades of vegetarian diet! So the changes for me were dairy, free fats, higher fat foods.

They came on pretty quick, stuck around for that month, and then in the month after I dropped them, then the next month 2 more...

Arrow our bodies need adjust time. We always dread the idea of weight coming on fast but want it to go OFF fast, aren't we something?

Arrow if your changes include a step up in dietary fiber (usually does, did for me) then you have more fibrous content in the digestive track which - holds water. Translates to poundage, but not bodyfat poundage. So you may be losing fat yet holding a bit of water in the system.

Arrow carbohydrate binds more water in our system than protein, so if your macronutrient content has shifted, this can explain water weight as well. I look at it as getting hydrated, especially for those coming off a dietary plan that is too steep in protein, which purges water from the system. You may be re-hydrating.

I hope you find this encouraging! Give it time, take care and have compassion for your body, and keep getting support for positive changes!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I have to confirm what everyone else has said from my own experience.

1. Pre-packaged/processed vegan food can be high calorie. I think of it as vegan "fast food". Just like in regular fast food the manufacturers appeal to your three basic food instincts, fat, sugar and salt. Vegan cheeses are particularly bad, really nothing more than solidified tropical oils. I can attest that you CAN gain weight eating vegan doing that. The key is increasing unprocessed whole foods and reducing added sugars and fats, i.e. cooking oil, vegan mayo, vegan cheese, vegan margarine, etc.

2. The same math exists on a vegan diet as on any other diet. Your caloric output must exceed your caloric intake to lose weight. So often when we get on a particular diet we forget that this fundamental rule exists no matter what we eat. McDougall, Atkins, Cabbage Soup, Pickle and Jello, South Beach... what comes in must go out or stay on the hips.

3. Most people find that unprocessed whole vegetables and grains, by virtue of the longer time it takes your body to digest them, can reduce your hunger. That is ONCE you get past the, what was for me, the physical addiction to over-stimulating processed foods, sugars and fats. And the mental idea that without meat or dairy I was still hungry because there is no "substance" to just grains, veggies and fruits.

4. Watch your salt. I inadvertently added too much salt to my diet when I started going vegan because without all the added fat, salt and sugar from processed foods and the extreme taste stimulation so many of them provide, I thought everything was bland. And I bloated up like an air mattress on steroids. And don't even MENTION the weight gain from that added water.

5. It isn't the carbs that are a problem, it's the kind of carbs. Keep in mind there is a world of difference between complex carbohydrates and refined starches. The longer starch chains in complex carbs take longer for your body to break down and absorb and when you add fiber it slows down your carb absorption even more.

Hope some of this helps!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 211 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: crademan

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org