21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: I'm gaining weight!
Created on: 01/06/12 07:54 AM Views: 1174 Replies: 4
I'm gaining weight!
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM

What am I doing wrong? I have gained weight, 2 lbs this week. I didn't find anything on serving sizes. When on South Beach I wasn't allowed starches and only one gain a day. Are there serving sizes? I'm missing something I should be doing.

RE: I'm gaining weight!
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Can you give us any other information about what you are doing? Have you started a strength training program at the same time? Because Delayed Muscle Soreness indicates that your muscles may be retaining 1-4 pounds of water while they are repairing.

What about your daily intake? If you are joining the kickstart specifically for weight loss, I'd advise keeping a dietary journal, especially with caloric counts. This will give you an idea of your true food intake. There are several dietary calculators on the internet that indicate based on basic information how many calories your body needs and therefore what caloric deficit you should maintain to loose 1-2 pounds per week.

Also...I've heard, though as a guy can't attest, that certainly menstrual cycles can have an impact on temporary weight gain.

Last...what about your sodium intake? Have you been salting the recipes to make them more palatable to you? That could be an impact as well.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Yes what you are eating is important, not just the fact that it is vegan. You could eat lots of french fries and avocado tofu sandwiches with imitation cheese on them all week and gain more than just 2 pounds. Shocked

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

There are no serving size suggestions. If you have the vegan part down, which most people can implement fairly easily, then that's a great start. The low-fat part can be tricky. Really watch those added fats to processed foods and to prepared foods (whether in someone else's kitchen or your own).

I always encourage people to really focus on fiber, meaning as many whole foods as possible (fruit instead of fruit juice, rice instead of flour-based foods, beans instead of mock meat, and dipping vegetables instead of pretzels in your hummus). When I say "focus," I don't mean eliminate everything else. But fiber is really the key to so many health benefits, including weight loss.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:15 AM

ReginaGrace wrote:

What am I doing wrong? I have gained weight, 2 lbs this week. I didn't find anything on serving sizes. When on South Beach I wasn't allowed starches and only one gain a day. Are there serving sizes? I'm missing something I should be doing.

No, there are no portion sizes anywhere (though the recipes do indicate about how many portions it makes). Eat until you are satisfied, comfortable. Of course, that's the hard part - we're not used to knowing how it feels to stop at just right. Maybe, temporarily, make yourself a couple "rules" that (a) the food stays at the stove/counter not at the table so it takes motion/decision to get seconds (b) wait at least half a glass of water before going to get seconds - sip the water and see if you really feel hungry still (that gives your system time to process what you've already eaten and send the 'we're full' signal). The thing is, you don't have to eat it all right then - if you eat, stop and then feel hungry an hour later, go ahead and have a snack an hour later.

Definitely keep an eye on how much you're eating and what it is - it is possible to be a fat vegan. But, too, it's possible that it's just your system adjusting to the extra fiber and such. I know that if I get a little too heavy on the grains and beans and skimp on the leafy greens and fruits, I'll gain a couple pounds pretty quickly (also, if you've got nuts/nut butters in your snacks, that'll add as well). Back off on the grains, add some non-starch veggies (and lots of water and no-caffeine herbal teas like chamomile) and poof, off come those pounds I gained.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 356 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org