21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: When You can't stand a Vegan Staple?
Created on: 01/06/12 08:55 AM Views: 2116 Replies: 11
When You can't stand a Vegan Staple?
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

color=darkred]Hi,
I can't stomach tofu and kale; texture and taste. Believe me, I've tried. As a vegetarian, I have always relied on whole grains, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds for my protein. Going vegan makes Kale iportant for Calcium, but raw in salads, as baked chips or (worse) cooked; I can't do it.

What Can I do to make up what I should be getting from the Kale?

Any tofu alternatives?

Thanks!

Erin

Vegetarian since I was 14, The bane of previous attemps at becoming vegan: Cheese.

RE: When You can't stand a Vegan Staple?
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Kale, chard and tofu were learning curves for me as well.

I find I like kale/chard chips now and I enjoy finely chopped kale sauteed with onion and garlic with a bit of tamari and brown rice.

If you are worried about getting your greens have you tried a green smoothie? You can usually hide the greens taste (not color) in a smoothie with fruits.

I have learned, ironically, to love tofu as well but now avoid it as I am still working on my weight.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 01/06/12 12:07 PM
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Im a soy-free vegan, so you can do it w/o eating tofu or any soy. There are a lot of good protein alternatives. As for kale, if you hate it, substitute another dark leafy green Smile

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I don't like kale very much either. I just replace it in recipes with some other dark green, collards, spinach, chard, mustard... it just depends on what I'm making.

As for tofu, that's a toughie. We just don't eat it very often (except when I make my oh-so-tasty spicy sweet tofu pineapple stir fry). We usually go with beans, seitan or if ground "meat" is needed like in chili, organic TVP.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

SpongeBobFishpants wrote:

I don't like kale very much either. I just replace it in recipes with some other dark green, collards, spinach, chard, mustard... it just depends on what I'm making.

As for tofu, that's a toughie. We just don't eat it very often (except when I make my oh-so-tasty spicy sweet tofu pineapple stir fry). We usually go with beans, seitan or if ground "meat" is needed like in chili, organic TVP.

Black beans work fine as a sub for meat in chili (at least, we think so) - we usually leave them whole but you can also roughly smash up about half of them to get a more ground meat consistency. Also, diced portabella mushrooms make a nice meaty texture in chili. A fun addition to chili is any of the hard shelled squashes like acorn or butternut squash. Hubby's chili (which even gets requests from Texans!) is black beans, diced tomato (canned, low sodium, with the liquid), frozen corn, fresh or frozen bell peppers diced, onion, spices (he likes having chipotle and ancho chili powders separately rather than 'chili powder' so he can adjust the flavor profile how he chooses - also, be sure to look for low or no salt chili powder if you use commercial blends).

And, there's really no reason that one must have tofu to be vegan - kind of like there's no real reason toddlers must consume whole fat dairy products. It's just kind of convenient in some ways but there are other ways to get to the same or similar result.

--Deb R

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Wistful wrote:

color=darkred]Hi,
I can't stomach tofu and kale; texture and taste. Believe me, I've tried. What Can I do to make up what I should be getting from the Kale?[/color]

Any tofu alternatives?

Thanks!

Altough I eat kale and sometimes silverbeet, spinach is my favourite and pretty equal nutritionally speaking. You didnt say if you like spinach. I layer it on homemade pizzas, can have raw baby spinach leaves in salads and dont mind it cooked. I dont find kale quite so versatile and silverbeet raw is disgusting to my tastebuds. I only have that cooked and when dished up to me.

As for tofu, I can eat it in some recipes (I have a spinach and tofu vegan quiche recipe from an old Arrowhead Mills recipe book that is lovely) and when others cook it (there is one tofu dish with eggplant on the menu at my local vegan restaurant that is to die for) but I have never had any success in cooking it well myself so i dont often bother trying. I just enjoy when I go out. I think tofu is all in the flavoring and cooking - sometimes good tasting sometimes not.I'm with Bugsmom in that you dont have to eat these to be vegan. If you eat a variety of other vegetables you should be getting all your nutrients.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/06/12 3:24 PM
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM

kiwi wrote:

As for tofu, I can eat it in some recipes (I have a spinach and tofu vegan quiche recipe from an old arrohead mills recipe book that is lovely) and when others cook it (there is one tofu dish with eggplant on the menu at my local vegan restaurant that is to die for) but I have never had any success in cooking it well myself so i dont often bother trying. I just enjoy when I go out. I think tofu is all in the flavoring and cooking - sometimes good tasting sometimes not.

The keys to tofu are choosing the flavoring since it absorbs whatever it is with (it's basically flavorless solo) and choosing the correct variety for the application - you likely wouldn't want to use a firm tofu in a pudding or a silken tofu as a meat replacer in chili. They had firm tofu on Chopped the other night and every one of the chefs did something different with it - grilled, marinated, blended, etc.

--Deb R

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Keep in mind there are some that truly eat nothing processed and that includes tofu.

It is quite easy to get everything you need to eat from the whole food. Many times people get stuck on the idea of needing to get to a specialty store or a health food store, and I was one of those people for years.

Now with the way I eat, I have yet to find a grocery store in any town that doesn't have some kind of rice and vegetables and fruits. Finding quinoa and some of the less mainstream veggies and fruits is a bonus.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

The keys to tofu are choosing the flavoring since it absorbs whatever it is with (it's basically flavorless solo) and choosing the correct variety for the application - you likely wouldn't want to use a firm tofu in a pudding or a silken tofu as a meat replacer in chili. They had firm tofu on Chopped the other night and every one of the chefs did something different with it - grilled, marinated, blended, etc.

--Deb R

Im aware of the different tofus and the need for flavorings but I dont really miss not having it at home. Therefore I havent bothered to experiment and get better at using it. Im just a bad tofu cook and will probably stay that way until I add a few more recipes to the couple of tofu ones I do use.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/06/12 9:48 PM
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Tomorrow I'm going to try a vegan Bulgogi "steak" sandwich recipe I found that's made with very thinly sliced, very firm, and highly marinated tofu slices. I LOVE Korean Bulgogi marinade and I miss it terribly so I really have my fingers crossed for this tofu recipe.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM

This is a new one for me, let us know how it turns out!

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Thank you everyone!

I wasn't aware that spinach was high in calcium. I do like it raw and have included it im my salads; maybe not enough though. I LOVE broccoli and have it daily, brussel sprouts and cabbage, not so much. How strong are collard greens? I will find an assortment of the others you mentioned and give them a try. Smoothies won't work for me; I know it's there and will think I taste it. I am hyper aware of what I eat; one of the resons I became a vegetarian. A pain, I know.

I will have to ask around for different varieties of Kale; the produce stores around here usually have just the one kind. when we are getting more sun I will try and grow some of the milder tasting varieties.

I take comfort in knowing I am not the only one with an aversion to soy products.

How much calcium should I be aiming for? on the PCRM site, they suggest 1000 mg. Unfortunately the sample menus provided use soy. From what I put together, the 21 kick start plan doesn't get close to 1000mg. So far I've only barely made half that. Am I missing something?

Erin

Vegetarian since I was 14, The bane of previous attemps at becoming vegan: Cheese.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 444 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org