21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: When You can't stand a Vegan Staple?
Created on: 01/06/12 08:55 AM Views: 2724 Replies: 11
When You can't stand a Vegan Staple?
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Hi,
I can't stomach tofu and kale; texture and taste. Believe me, I've tried. As a vegetarian, I have always relied on whole grains, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds for my protein. Going vegan makes Kale iportant for Calcium, but raw in salads, as baked chips or (worse) cooked; I can't do it.

What Can I do to make up what I should be getting from the Kale?

Any tofu alternatives?

Thanks!

Erin

Vegetarian since I was 14, The bane of previous attemps at becoming vegan: Cheese.

RE: When You can't stand a Vegan Staple?
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM

The tip I got from Ann Esselstyn, Dr. Esselstyn's wife, is to add a little cream of balsamic vinegar. It makes any greens pleasant to eat, including kale.

This is the brand she served at a recent E2 Emersion conference.
Isola Classic Cream

It is a Gourmet infusion of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena

no fat
no sodium
27 calories per serving

Ingredients - Balsamic vinegar of Modena, grape juice, cornstarch.

It has the consistency of syrup and now It is a pleasure eating the greens.

Thank you Mrs. Esselstyn.

Edited 01/07/12 11:16 PM
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Here's what I have done - find foods that work and use them. Tofu recipes - substitute mushrooms or lentils if the Tofu is used in place of meat and for creamy things, well, I just don't have an answer for you. The only substitutes I try is hummus. Sorry, not much help. I live with out the creamy stuff.
I add Tofu to my pumpkin pie and that's it. Allergic to soy, so stay far far away!!

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Hi there!

Have you tried chopping the kale in very small pieces and incorporating it to pasta sauce, chili and soup? You can't taste it because the sauces and other veggies take over. Everyone at home has been eating kale for years without knowing it!

I'm not a big fan of tofu either, so I use soy milk, edamame and legumes for protein.

But definitely try the kale next time you make marinara pasta sauce or chili!

Good luck!

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Hi there!

Have you tried chopping the kale in very small pieces and incorporating it to pasta sauce, chili and soup? You can't taste it because the sauces and other veggies take over. Everyone at home has been eating kale for years without knowing it!

I'm not a big fan of tofu either, so I use soy milk, edamame and legumes for protein.

But definitely try the kale next time you make marinara pasta sauce or chili!

Good luck!

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM

will you consider adding kale to a smoothie? this is what i do:

1 1/2 c. almond milk (other plant milk/coco water will do)
handful of kale (any green works)
1 froz banana
1 c. froz blueberries
2 dates (to sweeten, if necessary)
dash cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger

it's yummy! Very Happy

good luck!

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I agree with you! I can't stand the taste of kale or chard, but when you put it in a smoothie with blueberries, it can't be tasted. My morning smoothie is 1 cup almond milk, 1 large leaf of kale and chard, stem removed, a handful of spinach, a banana, 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1 Tablespoon of Rice Protein Powder. I find that if I sweeten it with a little agave nectar it makes it even more enjoyable.Add ice and blend for 2 minutes. This is a great way to know you got your greens!

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!
I am also going to try a vegan version of Colcannon (Irish potatoes and Kale. http://www.choosingraw.com/luck-of-the-irish-vegan-colcannon/

Erin

Vegetarian since I was 14, The bane of previous attemps at becoming vegan: Cheese.

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Linnie,
Thanks for the idea about chard in smoothies! I put collard greens and kale in mine but never tried chard. In fact, I have never tried chard in my life.

When I started with the kickstart I had never tried kale or collard greens either. I will never forget the first time, I broke off a very small bit of kale to try it because I was so afraid. Can't believe it but now I love them so much I am addicted to kale and collard greens. I drive miles to find fresh ones if my local store doesn't have them.

So now its time to get out of my comfort zone again and try swiss chard. Also, I saw some recipes with chard in Prevent and Reverse in Mrs. Esselstyn recipes that look good.

Thanks to the kickstart its opened up a new world of delicious food for me.

Edited 01/12/12 7:11 PM
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 8:32 AM

veganer wrote:

So now its time to get out of my comfort zone again and try swiss chard. Also, I saw some recipes with chard in Prevent and Reverse in Mrs. Esselstyn recipes that look good.

Thanks to the kickstart its opened up a new world of delicious food for me.

Swiss (rainbow) chard is really cool because you can use the greens and the stems (colorful!) together or separately. Often, we'll cut the stems off the greens and use the greens with something like quinoa chickpea pilaf then chop the stems up and use them like celery in soups and stir fries.

I agree, the kickstart opened up all sorts of new foods - I had always seen the Swiss chard in the market (it's so colorful it catches the eye amid all the other dark greens) but never knew what to do with it. Now, we talk about wishing we could design a 'vegan fridge' that had enough space for all the fresh leafy greens and other veggies.

--Deb R

Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Sometimes I "go off" kale when I've been using it too often. When I do, I just switch to eating broccoli, spinach or some other green.

Spinach is great in smoothies; much sweeter than kale in my opinion. I love them both, but when I don't want to be reminded that I'm drinking greens for breakfast, I use spinach. And I keep a powdered green on hand, as well. Sometimes, it's just easier to plop a scoop of that in my smoothie. It might be a shortcut, but at least I know that I'm still getting my calcium, etc. if I happen to not have any "real" greens around at the time.

Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I try to rotate the greens each week - there are a couple of different kale varieties, regular chard, Swiss chard, broccoli, spinach. Since each dinner makes a day or more of leftovers for us (we plan it that way), we get a bit of whatever it is each day. We also tried watercress and dandelion greens a time or two but those tend to be more summer greens that we use fresh in salads. And, too, since we use the beet greens, carrot greens, etc in the veggie stock we make, we get a wee bit of greens in soups and other things we make with the stock.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 157 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org