21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: When You can't stand a Vegan Staple?
Created on: 01/06/12 08:56 AM Views: 2152 Replies: 11
When You can't stand a Vegan Staple?
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Hi,
I can't stomach tofu and kale; texture and taste. Believe me, I've tried. As a vegetarian, I have always relied on whole grains, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds for my protein. Going vegan makes Kale iportant for Calcium, but raw in salads, as baked chips or (worse) cooked; I can't do it.

What Can I do to make up what I should be getting from the Kale?

Any tofu alternatives?

Thanks!

Erin

Vegetarian since I was 14, The bane of previous attemps at becoming vegan: Cheese.

RE: When You can't stand a Vegan Staple?
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Won't most other leafy greens sub for Kale, i.e. spinach, chard, collards, etc?

Try tempeh or seitan as a tofu alternative.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

There are lots of "leafy greens" that provide similar benefits as kale. Green cabbage, Brussels sprouts, collards, and broccoli to name a few. Never fear - there is no one super food that we can't live without.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM

There is no need whatsoever for someone to eat tofu.
Drs McDougall and Esselstyn say you shouldn't eat it- it's too high in fat. There are other studies that say you shouldn't eat any soy.

Studies show we only need about 10% protein in our diets- we can find that in grains and green veggies. Drs Esselstyn, Campbell and McDougall all talk about that in their books.

As for kale, how do you cook it? I take out the stem, chop it up and boil it (in a big pot of salted water) for about 3 to 4 minutes. I then add it to potatoes or rice. It should still be bright green- cooking it till it's soft like spinach and brownish is super gross to me.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Wistful wrote:

Hi,
I can't stomach tofu and kale; texture and taste. Believe me, I've tried. As a vegetarian, I have always relied on whole grains, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds for my protein. Going vegan makes Kale iportant for Calcium, but raw in salads, as baked chips or (worse) cooked; I can't do it.

What Can I do to make up what I should be getting from the Kale?

Any tofu alternatives?

Thanks!

I don't 'do' tofu, tempeh, soy milk at all and we've been eating vegan for over a year now (and mostly vegetarian for a few years before that). As was mentioned, there are lots of leafy greens - do you dislike all of them (spinach, chard, collards, etc) or just kale?

--Deb R

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I don't do soy products on a regular basis either.

Have you tried kale or collard greens or any other type of greens in a smoothie?

I make Julieanna Hever(the plant-based dietitian)'s smoothie and I do not taste the kale or collard greens.

However, you get all of the nutritional benefits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEpLom8uoYE

Edited 01/06/12 10:11 AM
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM

surrealchereal wrote:

As for kale, how do you cook it? I take out the stem, chop it up and boil it (in a big pot of salted water) for about 3 to 4 minutes. I then add it to potatoes or rice. It should still be bright green- cooking it till it's soft like spinach and brownish is super gross to me.

We don't boil the kale (or chard or fresh spinach) at all - a skillet or pot (depending on where we're going with it) with a bit of water and/or veg stock, some onion and garlic (often) and the greens, pop on the lid and let it saute/steam until just slightly warmed and wilted but still really nice bright green. Then we'll add it to rice or quinoa or whatever else it is we're doing with it. Quinoa chickpea pilaf with kale or chard (Swiss/rainbow especially) is a favorite at our house. Oh, also, there are several varieties of kale, chard, etc. so maybe trying different varieties as well as different cooking styles/combinations, might help.

--Deb R

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM

veganer wrote:

I don't do soy products on a regular basis either.

Have you tried kale or collard greens or any other type of greens in a smoothie?

I make Julieanna Hever(the plant-based dietitian)'s smoothie and I do not taste the kale or collard greens.

However, you get all of the nutritional benefits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEpLom8uoYE

Try Chef AJ's smoothie, she makes it with spinach in the video but I've had it with kale and it's awesome. (btw Julieanna is in the video too)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJkBEZF6i9I&feature=player_embedded#!

Edited 01/06/12 9:14 PM
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

For some reson my message was posted twice. Since tow groups of people responed, I am including my respons in bot.

Thank you everyone!

I wasn't aware that spinach was high in calcium. I do like it raw and have included it im my salads; maybe not enough though. I LOVE broccoli and have it daily, brussel sprouts and cabbage, not so much. How strong are collard greens? I will find an assortment of the others you mentioned and give them a try. Smoothies won't work for me; I know it's there and will think I taste it. I am hyper aware of what I eat; one of the resons I became a vegetarian. A pain, I know.

I will have to ask around for different varieties of Kale; the produce stores around here usually have just the one kind. when we are getting more sun I will try and grow some of the milder tasting varieties.

I take comfort in knowing I am not the only one with an aversion to soy products.

How much calcium should I be aiming for? on the PCRM site, they suggest 1000 mg. Unfortunately the sample menus provided use soy. From what I put together, the 21 kick start plan doesn't get close to 1000mg. So far I've only barely made half that. Am I missing something?

Erin

Vegetarian since I was 14, The bane of previous attemps at becoming vegan: Cheese.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM

double post- btw has the problem with this forum been reported to your tech people?

Edited 01/07/12 10:26 AM
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM

According to Dr Esselstyn you don't need to worry about calcium.

Quote:

Calcium – Where do I get calcium?
Calcium supplementation is unnecessary. There is more than adequate calcium in a plant- based diet of whole grains, legumes and grains and especially the green leafy vegetables.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Have you tried baby kale? I just tres it for the first time and it seems more mild tasting and definitely more tender. I just put some in a veggie soup. Tasted fine. But everyone obviously tastes differently. Maybe worth a taste if you haven't already.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 895 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: LaniMuelrath

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org