21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Going Vegan to help Arthritis Pain
Created on: 01/06/12 09:38 AM Views: 1282 Replies: 5
Going Vegan to help Arthritis Pain
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM

My main reason for doing this diet is to see if I can help manage my rheumatoid arthritis pain.
I've heard that too much sugar and dairy can cause inflammation. But, admittedly, my research is lacking.

If anyone out there knows more about this, or knows which foods might be more effective please let me know.

I appreciate any and all help

RE: Going Vegan to help Arthritis Pain
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Hi,

A very helpful book is Dr. Neal Barnard's Foods That Fight Pain - lots of details about what foods to avoid and what to include for RA. May people with RA have been helped through a whole foods plant-based diet.

Here is the list of major arthritis triggers from that book:
Dairy products; corn; meat; wheat, oats & rye; eggs; citrus fruit; potatoes; tomatoes; nuts; coffee

He also gives a four-week menu to dramatically reduce the inflammation, then you can slowly add back the foods you have eliminated to pinpoint your individual triggers.

Good luck!

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Great book recommendation. There's also some information on this site: http://www.nutritionmd.org/consumers/bone_joint_diseases/arthritis_nutrition.html.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.
I've been doing the Kickstart for 5 days and haven't seen significant improvement in pain. I might try eliminating some other foods too.
But giving up wheat and tomatoes!!! I might try those as a last resort Wink

Thanks

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

tisdaleh wrote:

My main reason for doing this diet is to see if I can help manage my rheumatoid arthritis pain.
I've heard that too much sugar and dairy can cause inflammation. But, admittedly, my research is lacking.

If anyone out there knows more about this, or knows which foods might be more effective please let me know.

I appreciate any and all help

Here's more from our McDougall archives:

Diet: Only hope for arthritis

I personally know many people and clients who have found tremendous relief through diet.

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I also have an auto immune disease and I can tell you eliminated dairy and wheat were major playors in pain control.

I later found out I have celiac disease but my own pain is under quite decent management on a whole foods, plant based, non processed diet.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 455 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org