21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Total Calories?
Created on: 01/06/12 10:45 AM Views: 1815 Replies: 7
Total Calories?
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I'm a nursing mom who needs to keep my calories up. I can't find anywhere what the approximate total calorie intake is for the kickstart plan. Any ideas? It seems really low to me...

RE: Total Calories?
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I've been tracking mine and am staying around 1800 calories or so a day. No lower than 1600 but most days I'm eating 1700-2000 a day and I'm losing weight while keeping my milk supply safeSmile Someone on here also sent me this link which had some helpful info: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/veganpregnancy.htm#lactation

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Thanks, Heather! Do you ever add an extra snack in? If so, what do you eat?

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Oh I am also still taking my prenatal vitamins as an extra precaution just to ensure we are both getting everything we need Cool

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM

If I feel like I need a snack I've been eating a handful of almonds, cashews, or dry roasted peanuts. Or a banana. But mostly I've just been eating a little extra at mealtimes of whatever recipe I'm having. I'm tracking my calories daily on sparkpeople to make sure they don't dip too low and so far so good. My baby is 7 months old so majority of his nutrition comes from my milk still.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Calories are not particularly tracked on this eating plan. I know it is a hard concept to grasp.

The idea is to eat whole foods, plant based and with no to minimal processing and no added oils. The food should look like it grows (identifiable) Smile

If you follow this and watch the intake of higher fat foods (nuts, seeds, avocado, olives, nut butters) then you lose weight and eat all you like. It is frequently mentioned no one has ever seen any one get fat eating brocolli or even potatoes, but rather from the toppings!

If you do not need to lose weight, then you can add back these higher fat foods, in moderation, until your weight stabilizes.

Make sense?

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 12:43 AM

My mom and I actually wonder how many total calories a person should have a day. Does it vary based on age, height, anything else? I'm 27, my mom obviously is older...we're both at a fairly healthy weight so for maintaining, do we both require 2000 calories? If it's less, is that okay too?

My brother has 3000 / day - he's 24. But he's very active and athletic. My mom works out too, I"m the lazy one but trying to walk at least 30 min/day, 3 times a week!

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:13 AM

While I agree with not counting calories and trying to eat plant based, unprocessed food to satisfaction as the way to lose weight, sometimes we want to know about calories. From Jillian Michaels, she has a calculation for figuring out your BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is what you burn just living doing nothing. and then you figure your active metabolic rate which is the calories you burn from exercise. It's a little lengthy but here it is.

BMR calculation for female:
655 + (4.3 x weight in lbs) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

Then you need to find your daily activity level:
Sedentary (desk job, sitting most of the day in your job 1.1
Light - on your feet, walking around 1/2 a day like stay at home moms, salespeople, docs. 1.2
moderate - move pretty much all day, gardeners, carpenters, mail cariers 1.3
high - constantly moving like construction worker, mover, farm worker 1.4

So pick your daily activity level from there.

Then you have to pick out your exercise expenditure which is based on weight and calories burned in an hour. So basically you will have to go find this on a web site somewhere which shouldn't be hard. She has a chart in the book I have but too much to type here. Basically I burn 400 calories in an hour based on my weight and doing either a spin class or heavy aerobic or sometimes weights so it averaged anywhere from 250 to 650 so I just picked 400. So once you have that you can calculate. Here it is.

BMR x daily activity score + exercise expenditure. and that is your active metabolic rate. AMR

So in order to lose a pound a week (3500 calories in a lb). This is what you need to do. I'm going to use mine as an example. My AMR is 2110.
Take your AMR (2110) x 7 (days in a week) and that's 14770 (amount of calories in a week). Subtract 3500 (14770-3500) and you get 11270. Take that divided by 7 (11270 ddivided by 7) and you get 1610. For me to lose a pound a week I would have to take in 1610 calories a day instead of 2110.

It's a LONG process but if you really want to figure it out and not sure if it's super accurate but it will give you an idea.

This is why I want to go by my stomach signals and eating an unprocessed plant based diet as my guide instead of calculating!!! But I get why you want to know!!! Hope that helps..

Kathy

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 140 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org