21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: skin change question
Created on: 01/06/12 03:53 PM Views: 2403 Replies: 7
skin change question
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

This is not my first kickstart but after a year of getting used to vegan eating that included transition foods, some vegan junk food and occasional cheating - this is my first kickstart where I am sticking to low fat, with no transition foods and no processed commercial vegan foods (chocolate and cookies are out).

I feel great but my face is breaking out with acne. Hard under the skin type pimples that may eventually come to a head. Only 4-5 at present but at my age (50) it feels like I have a face full of pimples. They are not huge like boils and dont look red / infected but still it seems yuck to me.

Am I right in thinking my body is possibly detoxing and this is a phase or is something else going on I havent thought of? Anyone else had this or a similar problem?

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

RE: skin change question
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

kiwi wrote:

This is not my first kickstart but after a year of getting used to vegan eating that included transition foods, some vegan junk food and occasional cheating - this is my first kickstart where I am sticking to low fat, with no transition foods and no processed commercial vegan foods (chocolate and cookies are out).

I feel great but my face is breaking out with acne. Hard under the skin type pimples that may eventually come to a head. Only 4-5 at present but at my age (50) it feels like I have a face full of pimples. They are not huge like boils and dont look red / infected but still it seems yuck to me.

Am I right in thinking my body is possibly detoxing and this is a phase or is something else going on I havent thought of? Anyone else had this or a similar problem?

could be detoxing. could also be a reaction to super low fat and winter. I know that I need to go slightly above the kickstart levels of fat in Jan-Feb here in New England (not high but a little above 10% of calories - equiv of a few slices of avocado once or twice a week). If my skin gets really dry (like cold, dry air), I'll get breakouts. Seems counterintuitive since usually it's oily = breakout. But I think the cold, dry creates dryness which creates both flaking and blockage in the pores. A good steam cleaning for your face might help - maybe make a big pot of soup, the kind that simmers all afternoon and adds moisture to the air.

Then again, you might be in a warmer area and I'm totally off base. Very Happy

--Deb R

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Im on the other side of the equator so it is officially summer here. I say officially because we have had record rainfall. Warm and humid weather - not like our usual summer at all....

It could be a combination of things.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM

My uneducated vote is for the detox theory. I'm experiencing the same thing. Another friend of mine is too! I'm trying to drink lots of water and use plenty of clearisil!

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Iluvsushi wrote:

My uneducated vote is for the detox theory. I'm experiencing the same thing. Another friend of mine is too! I'm trying to drink lots of water and use plenty of clearisil!

Thanks for the reply. At least I'm not the only one. We will all have beautiful skin by the end of the 3 weeks. Very Happy

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I am 59. my skin is better than it has been since being a preteen. My skin changed within a month of going vegan and has continued to improve. I am a very low fat vegan by the way...

McDougal has a good utube video on the subject.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

kiwi wrote:

Kiwi,

It could be a combination of anything that others have already suggested to you, hard to say. Yet given as your skin is your largest eliminative organ, detox is a possibility.

I thought I'd share with you what my nutrition consultant, Jeff Novick, R.D., has had to say on this topic:

Quote:

In 1983, when I got really serious about this and went on the strictest dietary protocols you could imagine, my whole back broke out in a serious rash which I never experienced before and was very uncomfortable. It lasted for months and nothing I could do would make it better. Then eventually it started to fade and now, there is no sign of it. It drove me crazy during those months.

What I was told at the time, and I have no "studies" to support this, but have seen it many times in others, especially in those who undergo "rapid" changes, or in fasting, is there is this form of "detox" or "retracing" that happens. Remember, the skin is a major organ of elimination.

The tricky part is understanding what may just be detox and what may be a serious issue. It is hard to tell from here, but considering your background you have shared of the situation, I would guess it is the former and not the latter. But, that is a guess. Smile

Arrow facebook too

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Thanks Lani.

I know at my age I am going through some hormonal changes with perimenopause but I do believe within myself there is some detoxing going on. This is the best my diet has been for .... since I cant remember when.

I am really motivated at the moment to change my way of eating and get rid of as much processed, chemical containing (all those numbers of packets) and junk food as possible (as well as keeping vegan). Not sure why the sudden motivation but it is probably related to it being the New Year so a new start, the perfect timing of the Kickstart in the New Year and watching a film through the holidays called "Fat, Sick and nearly Dead". Its not about vegan eating as such (althugh they never ate meat) but it is the story of two guys - one Australian and one American and how what you eat can make a huge difference to your health. Worth a watch even if you dont want to do what they did.

By the way, I know there are no guarantees but I think a healthier diet will help me cope with menopausal changes and aging better if i can stick with it and make this my lifestyle. Even if its only mind over matter....

Regards,
Christine

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 173 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org