21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Meal Plan update?
Created on: 01/07/12 02:23 AM Views: 3023 Replies: 13
Meal Plan update?
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 2:23 AM

We did the Kickstart in September and wanted more. I really like having a meal plan and the recipes all together, until I have a sufficient repertoire. I repeated many of the recipes in October-December. I'm disappointed that there are no changes in the meal plan from the September Kickstart. I think there could be better use of seasonal foods available in the market, or at least some variety from the last one.
How about changing it up a bit?
Kate

RE: Meal Plan update?
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 6:20 AM

I totally agree to a menu change. I have been requesting that at the end of each kickstart, so far still no changes, hopefully one of these times.. Even though I can figure out vegan meals fairly easily, sometimes you just "need" a set plan to get your out of a rut or reboot and having the same old menu doesn't help that. So yes, hopefully by the time the April kickstart rolls around, we can see a menu change!!!! Cross your fingers!!!

Kathy

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:15 AM

We are working on changes for the next Kickstart. Most Kickstarters are first timers, believe it or not, and this menu was designed to be approachable by folks who may not know much about vegan diets.

However, since there are so many who do return each time (thank goodness!), we have discussed developing a new menu by this April.

We spent most of last year focusing on our Indian menu and Chinese menu (coming this March). But agreed, some variety for alumni would be great!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM

I think that a lot of people would agree. I have a few related points I would like to bring up.

I wonder how many people participate, how many are new, and what is the geographical distribution. I have a feeling that there are A LOT of us, we are ALL OVER THE WORLD, and that although there are new people every time, there are also a large number of repeats. Given this situation, if I am correct, PCRM has surely had to set some priorities about their time and resources, just as they will hopefully apply some of that time and resources to further develop a program which I suspect has become a run-away success beyond their original expectations.

I have also suspected from my first kickstart that the meal plan is a well thought out component of the program which likely took some time to develop. I agree that variation would be appreciated by repeaters, and I hope that the staff get to that, but I think it is more time consuming than we might think. The meal plan is a perfect answer to several objectives, not the less of which is to introduce a variety of new tastes, new ingredients and new habits while cleaning you out in three short weeks, leaving you with retrained taste buds, knowing how you now feel, and hopefully with at least a few new recipes you will keep making. it is primarily for newbies.

I suspect that many repeaters don't actually follow the meal plan, but incorporate other new recipes they have found, perhaps on the affiliated site nutritionmd.org. We all come back for the reboot more than the kickstart, perhaps for the sense of community, and to help others who are here for the first time. Even so it would be nice to have some variety. I wonder if the simple act of posting the amazing Kickstart India meal plan and recipes as an option would help for now?

I also wonder if it is time for a kickstart alumni program, when and if staff resources and time could ever be applied to that, and if we alumni could actually help with that. I hereby volunteer, knowing that volunteer coordination is also a job for someone, so I'll be patient while hoping that these things are being considered by PCRM. Imagine, add 20% time and effort, well planned, and WE create the other 80% impact.

Another thing I would like to see is seasonal variation, but I think this would have to be set up as a permanent opt in or choose part of the program. This will take time, but I do hope that plans are in the works as it is something which is important for first timers. I find the salads were perfect my first time around, it was April, but not so much this time as January is my winter time. It occurs to me though that we probably have lots of participants who are currently mid-summer. Once again, run-away success will have to be addressed with a much larger resource application than just changing up a recipe or two. Just the web part of it will take time and cost money.

So, those are the points I would like to contribute to this topic. Thanks for bringing it up and providing me with the soapbox!

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I agree with the suggestion for menu change. That was the main reason I signed up! It was disappointing they were exactly the same. I had printed mine out from Sept and could just look at those. Hope they consider this!

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Hey, I see that Susan was online typing the same time I was, and has addressed some of the same points. Thank you Susan.

Madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM

YAY!! Really looking forward to April AND the Chinese one in March!!! I was happy to see the India on as I love indian food. Thanks!!!!

Kathy

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM

A Chinese option too... wow, I missed that (maybe I need a coffee).

All of those recipes and the meal plan, and all the videos will be on line, as are the India content. Could we post a link to allow access to the India part now, and think about an eventual three option stream for almuni, or even newbies?

I am not sure if these links will work, but try them. Here are the 21 day messages, which would include the videos and recipes:
http://kickstartindia.pcrm.org/messages/archive.cfm

Here is a link to the Recipe of the Week archive... lots of great recipes which are just as wonderful, but not all have appeared on the official meal plan:
http://pcrm.org/health/diets/recipes

I am already excited about Chinese food. I already have as many recipes from India in my regular routine as I do original Kickstart recipes.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM

In the meantime, try the recipes in the book, "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes." This morning I made Tofu Scramblers on page 192 and I was very pleasantly surprised. Same with his book, "21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart". There are so many great recipes in both books.
There are other great plant-based recipe books too.

I couldn't wait to start my day today! I can't wait to try the Cheesy Sauce recipe posted yesterday and other recipes that forum members posted or referenced. The forum members have provided a wealth of information and ideas.

This is a grand opportunity to strengthen my meal planning skills. I use the kickstart menu as a guide but look for other related recipes to try.

I have picked out recipes I would like to try from the above books and delectableplanet.com, nutritionMD.org and happyherbivore.com. Lani's Kale soup is on my list.
I am glad no new recipes till April because I can barely keep up!!

Edited 01/07/12 8:20 AM
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 8:22 AM

wow i am looking forward to a couple of changes. It would be great to have some recipes for seasonal veggies.
I can understand how difficult it must be to design a menu that helps people break thier food addictions, has some fluxuation for food allergies and tastes good!
But they probably have some menu items they could take from another kickstart?
Anyway.. it is good news for me that they are looking to change it up a little.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I am not sure how many kickstarts I have been a part of, but I do plan on coming back each time.

Truthfully, I come back to be supportive and sometimes ask questions of my own. I have a lot of cookbooks, several by Dr. Barnard and by Dr. McDougall. There are also a lot of websites I can look at such as:

http://fatfreevegan.com/

http://www.vegsource.com/chef-aj/

http://toyourhealthnutrition.com/

http://vegcoach.com/

http://www.vegcookin.com/a/lindsay-s-nixon/

http://www.vegiac.com/

Plus I get emails from PCRM, Dr. McDougall and a think a few others. All have recipes.

When I add these resources to the basic information taught here I find I have more recipes than I have even tried. Not to mention two full bookshelves of cookbooks and a local library.

For me, this site was intended to teach me the basics of a low fat, non processed, plant based diet. I have "graduated" with this information and moved my studies into the life I lead making adaptions along the way.

I come back to visit with friends and to encourage the people who come here for this journey. I always learn something new. Frequently people post recipes they have found elsewhere as well.

I am grateful for the "tools" taught by the Kickstart team that enable me to make adaptations to other recipes and can build a collection for my region and preferred tastes.

All that being said, I do enjoy new recipes and I do look forward to the Chinese version.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM

For the record, about 25,000 people participate in each US Kickstart, if you can believe it! I just wish we could get them all on this awesome forum.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Thanks so much for all the wonderful suggestions. I agree that this set of menus is ideal for changing tastes, trying new ingredients, and getting used to the volume of food we have to eat to get all our nutrients, and I do appreciate the thought that has gone into the meal plan.
I do have a lot of recipes, but I find the menus very helpful for learning to combine foods for the best nutrition, and for shopping purposes. We will carry on and look forward to Chinese! We tried Indian, but found it too complicated to do daily. At least I feel more confident - and my tofu palak "paneer" is better than our local Indian take-out that caters to vegans. How 'bout that!
My friend in Madagascar is trying, but is having difficulty finding ingredients.
Thank you, everyone. Kate

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 8:59 AM

kmjdebay wrote:

My friend in Madagascar is trying, but is having difficulty finding ingredients.
Thank you, everyone. Kate

If you (or your friend) post what ingredients are being problematic, folks here might have suggestions for substitutes that might be more readily available. Of course, living on an island out in the middle of the ocean probably makes finding just about anything difficult. But, there are probably local options that can substitute just fine, they're possibly not as available in the US and such, so they're not on the menu. For instance, if kale isn't available, there are probably other local leafy greens that are easily accessible there.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 390 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: BingoBlitzCheats

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org