21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Daily Nutrition values of Kickstart?
Created on: 01/07/12 09:16 AM Views: 826 Replies: 3
Daily Nutrition values of Kickstart?
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Hi again,
In trying to figure out ways to make sure I get enough calcium without Kale, I have come to wonder what the Daliy Nutritonal values each day of Kick start aims for. When I add them up myself I seem to come back with low numbers, particularly in protein and calcium, but I am sure that I must be missing something.

Can anyone tell me? and if they are lower that what is normally recommended, would you explain how it works, please?

Thank you!

Erin

Vegetarian since I was 14, The bane of previous attemps at becoming vegan: Cheese.

RE: Daily Nutrition values of Kickstart?
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

It would depend on the serving sizes you are entering. If you are consuming the appropriate amount of calories, you should be getting all the nutrients you need and in adequate amounts. It's good to be aware of sources of nutrients and consciously consuming a varied, whole foods diet. But counting grams, milligrams, and micrograms of vitamins and minerals should not be a necessary chore when eating a low-fat, whole foods diet. All the details tend to fall in place naturally when you focus on the big picture.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM

We are a family of 4, so generally the serving size is 1/4 of the meal. I aim for around 1500 -1600 calories a day. I include snacks not on the 21 day plan including a clementine, 12 almonds, sour cherries, baby carrots or a small palm-full of peanuts.

I am not trying to be number obsessive, it's more that if I don't eat something on the plan, knowing it's nutritional purpose helps me gauge what to replace it with. The app I use as a food journal lists the nutritional breakdown of what I've eaten during the day, handy if I've been too heavy on the nuts or had canned organic soup and pasta on the same day, showing itself in high fat or sodium amounts. I am concerned that I am not replacing adequately as my protein averages around 42g, and calcium 350mg.

If that is fine, I'll keep going as I am and not worry about it.

Thank you!
Erin

Erin

Vegetarian since I was 14, The bane of previous attemps at becoming vegan: Cheese.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Protein recommendations are based on weight, so it's hard to say whether 42 grams is "enough," although there is plenty of research to show that even less than the recommended amount is adequate. I wouldn't worry too much about protein as it is in every whole food in pretty high percentages, with the exception of fruit (it's there, but it's low).

As for calcium, you do want to make sure you are eating good sources. That generally means beans and greens. Supplemented sources like plant milks are good too. Getting around 500-700 mg per day should do it, and research does not show that more is necessary. Of course other minerals and vitamins (and exercise) are key for bone health as well.

Here's a quick and relatively recent summary of the research on calcium: http://www.pcrm.org/media/blog/may2011/increased-calcium-intake-does-not-reduce-bone.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 335 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org