21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: allergic to bananas
Created on: 01/07/12 11:14 AM Views: 1773 Replies: 6
allergic to bananas
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Hello,
I'm allergic to bananas, so what can I use for smoothies instead?

thanks

RE: allergic to bananas
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Are you asking for ideas for a sub to make the creamier? Or just what to put in a smoothie?

I have used just about every fruit I have been able to get my hands on! I don't like apples as much in smoothies but for creamy I use bananas or tofu (the soft silken kind). It doesn't take much. Also if my fruit is all frozen, I can add almond milk instead of juice or ice to the smoothie and that helps make it more creamy instead of icy.

I also have added various veggies to my smoothies for an added boost.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM

thank you, I was looking for what to put into a smoothie since all the recipes talk about adding bananas which I assume is what makes a smoothie all creamy.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM

If you are okay with soy, I'd suggest silken tofu. About 1/3 of a block will do.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM

The added ice is what changes the texture so I would suggest trying a smoothie with frozen fruits and almond milk.

You can freeze pineapple, pears, berries, kiwi, oranges, etc... add the combination you like fill with enough almond milk to get the texture you like.

I like a combination of blueberries, strawberries, pineapple and pear with the almond milk. Sometimes I toss in some carrots and/or spinach.

You can add a touch of vanilla if you like as well. When I am home again, around mid month, I have a few books on smoothies and I would be happy to help find recipes for you but I need a reminder! Smile

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM

thank you all, I am getting my grocery list together for next week and getting ideas for making some breakfast smoothies!

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:51 PM

thanks oceandog, I'll try to remember to remind you about the recipes.

I'm just getting started and learning as I go.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 568 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org