21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: SOY for your Health
Created on: 01/07/12 03:51 PM Views: 2341 Replies: 12
SOY for your Health
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 3:51 PM

What is PCRM's view on eating soy? Pros & Cons? Good for you or not?

RE: SOY for your Health
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I know Susan has posted a link for this, but I can't remember what the post title was...

But I can tell you that allergies and sensitivities aside, soy can be a healthful option for you. Keep in mind that the least amount of processing the better. Soy derivatives have been added to many things, so try to keep it as close to the edamame as possible.

Also keep in mind moderation. The soy bean and tofu are both higher in fat than some other options and for a weight loss journey this can slow things down. Some people have problems with soy for various reasons and adding tofu, tempeh, etc... are not necessary for a healthy vegan diet.

Personally, I love soy products but avoid them because I am still a bit over my ideal weight.

Best wishes

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 01/08/12 11:48 AM
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM

http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/soy-and-your-health

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Thanks Cynthia!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Thanks for the info. , That helps to clarify!

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I probably need to diversify my soy intake. I love soy milk and tofu and when it comes to any other dairy analog, it seems to be soy based.

I guess if I'm going to maintain a vegan lifestyle and still utilize tofu, vegan mayo, etc., perhaps I should at least switch to a different nut milk, though I haven't enjoyed rice milk, coconut milk, or almond milk so far... Crying or Very sad

The journey continues...

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Do you know what you didn't like about the other milks? Texture, sweeetness, flavor? Have you tried making your own? I have seen several links on making your own nutmilks and they don't seem to be complicated.

I tried a few years ago to make my own soymilk, and I didn't care for it one bit. Julieanna Hever (from the Chef and the Dietician) and Chef AJ have a you tube video on making your own almond milk. I was wondering if you knew what you didn't like, you could make the adjustment and create something you love? Just an idea.
They also say it is cost effective as well.

Best wishes

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Great thought...I do have an Omega 8004 juicer that allegedly can be used for almond milk, though a high speed blender, i.e. Vitamix, Blendtec is more efficient at it.

I've been on soy milk for years, but not a vegan so I've only become aware of my soy heavy diet recently, though at least "natural" soys instead of processed soys.

Anyway, I have a new brand of almond milk in the fridge that I'll try next.

In the end, I only really drink "milk" for cereal and not as a beverage so maybe I'm okay regardless.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I have tried just about all of the "milks" and my current favorite is the Blue Diamond Original Almond milk. My sister favors the unsweetened vanilla.

I have thought I may toy with making my own almond milk, as I use it for cooking and oatmeal. I also have a recipe for a soup that uses cashews and a bit of water (to replace cream and it makes the soup thick) so I would imagine it isn't that much different, just more liquid.

I hope you discover a way to make a new favorite! I just love the learning that comes along this journey! Let us know how you do Smile

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM

kgershman wrote:

I probably need to diversify my soy intake. I love soy milk and tofu and when it comes to any other dairy analog, it seems to be soy based.

I guess if I'm going to maintain a vegan lifestyle and still utilize tofu, vegan mayo, etc., perhaps I should at least switch to a different nut milk, though I haven't enjoyed rice milk, coconut milk, or almond milk so far... Crying or Very sad

The journey continues...

Tried Oat milk??

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM

my sister-in-law made us some hazelnut milk for Christmas breakfast,

very tasty!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 451 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org