21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: I'm gaining instead of losing
Created on: 01/07/12 10:33 PM Views: 2034 Replies: 8
I'm gaining instead of losing
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I know this sounds crazy, but I have gained two pounds. I have been a vegan for quite some time now and joined the Kickstart program to help me lose weight. I now have 10 pounds to lose. Can you help me?

RE: I'm gaining instead of losing
Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I have asked this question before myself! Has anyone ever heard of a fat/chubby/overweight/plump/fluffy vegan?

Here is what I found. When I eliminate the nuts, seeds, nutbutters, any added oils, tofu, edamame, olives, and avocado my weight drops. Not to mention no processed foods (like alternative meats and cheeses) (high in sodium and other things).

To simplify? I eat whole grains (brown rice, quinoa and gluten-free oats), fresh vegetables and fruits. I make soups, salads, casseroles, etc.. when I eat this way I lose. When I sneak in a bit of the higher fat, yet vegan, foods my weight loss slows and/or gains.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Thank you so much. I'm going to give it a try.

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Here is a link to McDougall's article re: Fat Vegan. www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/dec/fat.htm
I hesitated to post this because it sounds offensive, but the article is interesting. If this site doesn't work, just google McDougall Fat Vegan and that should do it.

Edited 01/07/12 11:07 PM
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Oceandog, when you mention tofu as fattening, are you talking about the silken, firm, extra-firm cakes of tofu or another kind? I use the blocks occasionally for scrambles with veggies. I never thought of it as fattening. I'm going to try to cut out all of the nuts, oils and make an experiment and see if I lose....

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Me too. I make my own tofu so we can have tofu sour cream and such. My question is, are portions limited when making beans with rice or any grain? Even though Dr. Mcdougall says "no," I have often wondered.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM

shuttrbugin wrote:

I know this sounds crazy, but I have gained two pounds. I have been a vegan for quite some time now and joined the Kickstart program to help me lose weight. I now have 10 pounds to lose. Can you help me?

Hey Shuttr, I thought I had posted this several days ago but I guess it didn't 'take'.

This happened to me as well when I switched to a low fat vegan diet. Actually, I gained 2 lbs in the first month. And this was after decades of vegetarian diet! So the changes for me were dairy, free fats, higher fat foods.

They came on pretty quick, stuck around for that month, and then in the month after I dropped them, then the next month 2 more...

Here are some thoughts that may help you out:

Arrow Our bodies need adjust time. We always dread the idea of weight coming on fast but want it to go OFF fast, aren't we something?

Arrow If your changes include a step up in dietary fiber (usually does, did for me) then you have more fibrous content in the digestive track which - holds water. Translates to poundage, but not bodyfat poundage. So you may be losing fat yet holding a bit of water in the system.

Arrow Carbohydrate binds more water in our system than protein, so if your macronutrient content has shifted, this can explain water weight as well. I look at it as getting hydrated, especially for those coming off a dietary plan that is too steep in protein, which purges water from the system. You may be re-hydrating.

I hope you find this encouraging! Give it time, take care and have compassion for your body, and keep getting support for positive changes!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Thanks for your response. Your explanation certainly made sense and I will continue with the plan. I've been following Dr. Mcdougall for many many years. I love the vegan diet but somehow got stuck on a plateau for the last 6 months. I thought that maybe the kickstart plan would help me shed the remaining 7 pounds. Instead, I gained 3! Surprise surprise! Anyway, your explanation is comforting and very logical. Thanks again!

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM

shuttrbugin wrote:

Thanks for your response. Your explanation certainly made sense and I will continue with the plan. I've been following Dr. Mcdougall for many many years. I love the vegan diet but somehow got stuck on a plateau for the last 6 months. I thought that maybe the kickstart plan would help me shed the remaining 7 pounds. Instead, I gained 3! Surprise surprise! Anyway, your explanation is comforting and very logical. Thanks again!

Great Shuttr, stay in touch, OK? Honestly, I've been through miles of trail with McDougall plan, as Fitness Expert for the online Health and Medical Center I've fielded lots of questions, and have this down to a science!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 306 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org