21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: wheat grain pasta and cereal
Created on: 04/16/12 12:18 PM Views: 1802 Replies: 6
wheat grain pasta and cereal
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Am I the only person that feels more hungry after eating whole wheat 100% grains such as shredded wheat cereal or 100% whole wheat pasta. Just want to eat more. Thinking of removing shredded wheat cereal and pasta out of diet. Way too addicting

RE: wheat grain pasta and cereal
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM

lostincyberspace wrote:

Am I the only person that feels more hungry after eating whole wheat 100% grains such as shredded wheat cereal or 100% whole wheat pasta. Just want to eat more. Thinking of removing shredded wheat cereal and pasta out of diet. Way too addicting

I don't usually - but then I also don't eat JUST whole wheat pasta etc. Typically, it's got some veggies, some beans, maybe a tossed salad on the side, etc. And, I don't measure the portion size - I eat, sip water, chat, read a magazine article and if I still want more in 20 minutes or so, I get up and go over to the stove top where the food resides (not on the table so seconds take thought) and get more. Typically, I start with a comfortable serving. If I'm still hungry (as above), I'll take a half of what I previously had. If I'm STILL hungry (rare), it's half of the half and so on, reducing the amount each time by half - though I am not bound to that amount, I will take 1/4 serving for seconds instead of half if that seems about right.

Cereals usually have dried fruit or a small handful of nuts added since lettuce and beans don't go as well with it LOL.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Wink............... Arrow................ Wink

Wash your back

Edited 04/17/12 5:53 PM
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 2:12 PM

The only ingredient in the shredded wheat cereal is whole grain wheat. Post makes the cereal.

Don't feel gassy after eating whole grain pasta. I just want to eat more because not satisfied. I will even eat a salad and add veggies to the pasta.

For me wheat doesn't fill me up. It just makes me want to eat more.

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 4:20 PM

lostincyberspace wrote:

The only ingredient in the shredded wheat cereal is whole grain wheat. Post makes the cereal.

Don't feel gassy after eating whole grain pasta. I just want to eat more because not satisfied. I will even eat a salad and add veggies to the pasta.

For me wheat doesn't fill me up. It just makes me want to eat more.

Is it only whole wheat pasta or did you have the same feeling prior to starting this way of eating (eating white flour pasta)?

Also, are you cooking it only to al dente? Cooking time is different on whole grain pasta compared to 'regular' pasta. Overcooking it is not a good idea and might be part of the situation because you lose the texture.

--Deb R

Edited 04/16/12 4:22 PM
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM

All wheat products make me hungry. I only eat 100% whole grain. 1 ingredient

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM

lostincyberspace wrote:

All wheat products make me hungry. I only eat 100% whole grain. 1 ingredient

It can be 1 ingredient and still be white flour - 100% unbleached flour is still not whole wheat. So, just checking it. But, certainly, if it's not satisfying, try other things. There's no rule about it anywhere. If 100% shredded wheat cereal doesn't float your boat, try oats or spelt or rice... Quinoa pasta is pretty good, we're not fond of rice based pastas at our house.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 338 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org