21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: egg substitute
Created on: 04/16/12 03:47 PM Views: 2005 Replies: 9
egg substitute
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I have a recipe that is similar to pumpkin pie, but without the crust. I call it a pumpkin "souffle." It uses a 24 oz can of organic pumpkin, 4 cups of soy milk, 4 eggs and various spices. What can I use in place of the eggs? Does anyone have any experience with the egg substitutes I've seen in the coops?

RE: egg substitute
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I have had success with vegetarian egg substitute powders. I can't remember the brand, but I do remember the cake came out great!

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Ener-G Egg is the commercial replacer powder that I've used but rarely. For most things (like brownies and cookies) I use ground golden flax - 1 tbl ground flax plus 1 tbl water (adjust as needed to make the right texture for your recipe). Regular ground flax seed works fine but the golden avoids leaving dark speckles in the finished product (which isn't bad in darker things like banana bread but not so great in oatmeal cookies) - we don't mind it but if we're taking something to a group gathering, other folks might wonder. For things like puddings, we use corn starch as a thickener rather than eggs. I don't remember if we've done a pumpkin pie recently though...

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM

This is my favorite vegan pumpkin pie recipe - you can bake it without a crust. It calls for molasses but I omit that as it makes the flavor too strong for me.

http://www.veganconnection.com/recipes/pumpkin_pie.htm

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM

1/4 silken tofu works really well in pumpkin pie. Wink

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Errr.... 1/4 CUP! Embarassed

Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Here's a great recipe from fatfreevegan.com:

Impossible Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients

1 1/2 cups soymilk
1 tbsp. Ener-G egg replacer*
1/4 cup water*
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups pureed or mashed cooked pumpkin (or cushaw or winter squash)**
1/2 cup rice flour (see note)***
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. ginger powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with cooking spray. (I used a Pyrex pan, and it came out with no sticking.) A deep dish is recommended because this pie will rise a lot during cooking but will fall back down as it cools.
Put the first five ingredients in the blender, and blend well. Add the pumpkin, and puree. Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high for 2 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides a couple of times to make sure everything is thoroughly blended. Pour into a pie pan and bake for about 60 minutes. The top and edges should be brown, but the edges should not be over-done. (Since this is a custardy pie, using the standard toothpick or knife test does not work; it will remain somewhat moist in the center, but it shouldn’t be uncooked.)
Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the counter. For best results, refrigerate until chilled before eating.

Notes
*If you don’t have Ener-G egg replacer, you can omit it and the 1/4 cup water and use any other replacement for two eggs.
**The pie will come out best if the pumpkin is very dry, so after my pumpkin is mashed, I drain all the water off completely by putting it into a cheesecloth-lined colander and letting it drip over a bowl.
***I have made this pie with white rice flour and with whole wheat, and the rice flour pie was infinitely better than the ww, which was gluey. If you use another type of flour, do so at your own risk. Check the comments to see what has worked for other people.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s) | Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Nutrition Facts
Makes 8 servings, each containing 153 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 264mg Sodium; 3g Fiber

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 3:44 PM

This advice is fine for baking, but what about throwing. People often ask me what's a good vegan alternative for eggs in a food fight, and I don't know what to tell them.

Suggestions anyone ?

Wash your back

Edited 04/19/12 5:51 PM
Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM

hmm that's difficult - it needs to be something that will be a bit gooey, can do without the shell fragments though (they hurt!). Corn starch and water can make a gooey substance, wrap blobs of it in plastic wrap maybe to throw it and it will splat. Not quite the same though... Smile

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

hmm that's difficult - it needs to be something that will be a bit gooey, can do without the shell fragments though (they hurt!). Corn starch and water can make a gooey substance, wrap blobs of it in plastic wrap maybe to throw it and it will splat. Not quite the same though... Smile

--Deb R

That's not a bad idea, Deb.

Wash your back

Edited 04/19/12 5:52 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 122 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org