21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Couscous Confetti Salad
Created on: 01/08/12 09:13 AM Views: 2550 Replies: 8
Couscous Confetti Salad
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM

We were having a big crowd for a meal on Saturday and I was so excited to make this salad!! it was GORGEOUS! But hardly anyone ate it - including me! The vinegar taste was way too strong.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of dressing this so it won't be so overpowering? What about adding a tsp of agave syrup and leaving out the vinegar?

Thanks
Fran

RE: Couscous Confetti Salad
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I think I will decrease the vinegar a bit next time I make it but not leave it out completely. I altered the recipe a lot anyway though and it was great the first two times but by the next evening after I made it, it was way too vinegary. I made mine with millet instead of couscous and red onion instead of green onions. I also added 2 grated carrots instead of one, and left out the dried fruit. My husband and I loved it when it was served fresh at room temp. and I ate some more the next afternoon for lunch. But by dinnertime, the vinegar was overpowering, not sure if it went to the bottom or what. I would make it again, but probably decrease the vinegar a bit just to make sure it wasn't too much.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I might consider just using my favorite salad dressing as the flavor base next time. I agree that there was an unpleasant tartness.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I made this with quinoa instead of couscous as I didn't have any in the house. I actually doubled the amount of quinoa and found it had a great flavor.

I wondered if you cut the vinegar in half would that help you? Especially if you are making the exact amount of the recipe.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I loved this recipe - I went back and looked at what I did - I probably used a little less vinegar than called for but it is my favorite recipe so far - the sweetness of the raisins really balance the flavors out.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Just curious - did you use SEASONED rice vinegar or regular rice vinegar. They are quite different, and using the latter could be unpleasantly intense.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I say either take away or decrease the vinegar... once you do this it is DELICIOUS!!!

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 3:34 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, Susan, it was plain rice vinegar Embarassed

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Or, maybe, you can make up the dressing separate and just add it shortly before serving (enough so that it blends well but isn't sitting in it for hours).

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 340 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org