21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: How many males are vegan?
Created on: 01/08/12 10:28 AM Views: 5585 Replies: 25
How many males are vegan?
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Hi all, There seems to be a lack of males (I guess 15%?) in the vegan world. Is it because men have been brain washed into thinking "real men" eat meat? At the same time their bodies are failing them with all the Western diet problems: obesity, heart sickness, impotence, strokes, and cancer for a few examples..
Ladies - how are your men doing?

RE: How many males are vegan?
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Mine is doing wonderful!!!
double post.. sorry

Edited 01/08/12 10:45 AM
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Mine is doing wonderful!!!
At first he was not on board.. then he watched meat your meet, and did some research.
So he decided to try it. .. just until he saw his doctor and got blood work done.. What can i say? he no longer needs a pee pill, his choresterol has gone down, and his kidneys now function normally. He is a happy camper.
He used to run 6-7 miles 3-4 times a week... now he runs 10-14 miles 3-4 times a week.. he has more energy than ever. He really watches everything he eats and is a big supporter of a plant strong diet.
the days he doesn't run.. he lifts weights..
he even took me to a community pot luck that rip had in austin last year!
right now he is in the kitchen making vegan cookies. he just got done with chocolate, oatmeal... now he is making a ginger cookie. lol.. he is even modifying some of my recipes to make them even lower fat.

Edited 01/08/12 10:45 AM
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM

cch22: very cool, glad to hear about your husband...I need to find a few friends like him.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM

found this:
Vegan demographics
Most likely to be female and under 35. (Source: Survey 7)

Male 33% 36% 22%
Female 67% 64% 78%

16-24 21% 14% 36%
25-34 40% 39% 44%
35-44 25% 32% 11%
45-54 10% 11% 7%
55+ 4% 4% 2%

I wonder if the 2 to 1 ratio of women vs men holds true in my age group? (55+)

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM

My hubby is vegetarian at home, mainly because I don't cook meat. He does eat meat out and has some non-vegan things at home. His cardiologist recommended a low fat vegan diet, but he didn't stick to it for very long. I have substituted most of the dairy in his world to non-dairy substitutes and he doesn't even know the difference.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Here is an extended analysis of that very question.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0820/is_n210/ai_16019829/

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I don't have a man in my life and the only vegan male I know is my ex brother-in-law, and I am not sure he is 100% vegan/plantbased.

I am 48, so not a lot out there in my age range. Not surprised!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM

The fact that you are asking the ladies of the forum to ask about their men is quite telling as well.

Why not just ask the "men" on this forum to raise their hands?

Besides...when are you allowed to call yourself a vegan? Can you make that claim after your first vegan meal...do you need to be vegan for a year?

I've been following the program officially since 1/2/12..and since each day, each meal, each bite is a choice to be made, I guess I can say that I'm a vegan until I'm not.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM

My husband and I have both been vegan for 20 years, maybe more, didn't think to mark the year.
I was vegetarian before that and he liked to call himself a real meat and potatoes person.
I went to the dr. and had really high blood pressure, and the dr. wanted to put me on meds, I said give me a month. I went home and went vegan, my husband said that he would try it as well. The result was that after a month my blood pressure was great - the dr. couldn't believe it. And my husband has been vegan ever since.
As a side line - at the time he went vegan he was travelling a lot for his work, he'd go into a restaurant and get a baked potato and some veggies and they'd never heard of such a thing, didn't know what to charge him so he got some very cheap meals.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM

So ... you have an idea... how many males over 55 on this forum?

Unfortunately I am in that group and feel kind of alone...

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Don't feel lonely, you have a great support system here and we don't care how old you are nor about gender! Smile

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:25 PM

HVANWINKLE wrote:

So ... you have an idea... how many males over 55 on this forum?

Unfortunately I am in that group and feel kind of alone...

FWIW...I'm 43.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Interesting topic. I have no husband myself but observe quite a few males eating (or getting take out) at my local vegan restaurant - some are alone and some with company. Obviously this doesnt necessarily mean they are vegan but I suspect a good percentage of them are.

Based on the number of people who sign up for the kickstart (Susan posted the number in another thread), and in comparison the very small number of us who use the forum - the question may be
Why do more females use the forum than males?
Is it because women like to talk and chat more? Smile

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/08/12 11:34 PM
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 1:14 AM

well, being male I don't chat overly much unless I am interested in the subject. I am interested in this subject because it is such a new huge part of my life and I would like to see more people come aboard. I guess I am still pretty evangelistic about veganism. It seems almost "no dah" after you study and/or try it!

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Vegan male reporting for duty.

Although I'm not sure if I'd describe myself as 100%. For instance, I often buy the rose flavour Dr Bronner's soap. I mean, it's 100% vegan, just not sure if it's 100% masculine. Smells fabulous though.

Wash your back

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 8:25 AM

HVANWINKLE wrote:

Hi all, There seems to be a lack of males (I guess 15%?) in the vegan world. Is it because men have been brain washed into thinking "real men" eat meat? At the same time their bodies are failing them with all the Western diet problems: obesity, heart sickness, impotence, strokes, and cancer for a few examples..
Ladies - how are your men doing?

Since my hubby is the main cook in the house, it's a good thing he's on board. In fact, he loves working out ways to turn old favorites into healthier vegan options. He's become a bit of a 'guru' to various friends of ours when they're looking to get recipes and ideas and such. And, brace yourselves, he's a Pampered Chef consultant! So, he spends a good deal of time doing cooking demonstrations and all.

We had a bit of a scare a few years ago - ER said it was a TIA, family doctor says it was a vasospasm. Either way, it was a warning that things weren't quite right. Also, none of the males in his paternal line made it to 'retirement age' - his dad died at 63, his grandpa died around that age as well, and so on. However, with the changes due to vegan eating, he's on track to make it well past there. He is on both blood pressure and cholesterol meds (especially since the warning) but he's working to keep the dosages minimal. Given the familial/genetic aspects, he'll likely never be completely off those meds but his goal is to not end up adding higher and higher doses and more and more medications.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 8:29 AM

kiwi wrote:

Why do more females use the forum than males?
Is it because women like to talk and chat more? Smile

Women tend to chat more about stuff. Men tend to see a question as someone looking for a 'fix' or answer while women often use questions as a way to start conversation and develop relationship. Guys tend to 'chat' if there's something else going on - fixing a car, watching a sporting event, etc. Women chat just to chat - talking is its own 'event' you might say.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Theodore

I know that soap well! My sister's favorite! I think the honeysuckle is also nice. I used to use Dr. Bronner's on my hair as well but it was too drying.

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Another Vegan male +55, vegan over a year, reporting in that uses Lava soap.

The Man's diet is Fat-free Vegan, which I prefer to call a Fat Free Plant Based Diet.

(Off topic here) Deb R, or anyone else who grinds their grains, I'm looking to get a mill and start making my own bagels and bread. Witch one would you recommend and where do you get your grains from. The only thing I have to grind out here is mesquite pods/seeds.

Edited 01/09/12 1:41 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 113 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org